• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Rodizio

ChefJeff

• 2 years later...

I'm headed down to the prudential center on saturday night. I thought i'd get some rodizio before hand with my gf and was wondering if anything has changed from the above reccomendations? I've been to the brazilia(2nd floor) which apparently is no longer open and enjoyed it. I've also been to Jason's favorite mediterranean manor on Jefferson. I'm leaning towards going to Brazilia Grill on Monroe. Any thoughts?

thanks,

Brian

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

Iberia or Iberia Peninsula are, to me, the most consistent rodizio places on Ferry, and the service done well enough to get you in and out in relative quickness if you desire.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

We really disliked Brasilia Grill last winter when a bunch of us went. It is too cafeteria like and the food was undewhelming. One of the things I most love about Rodizio is carefully and well salted meat. This place had none of that.Service left a lot to be desired also.

I think Picanha on Castor Ave in Philly is superior in just about every measure although it's unlikely you'll be in that vicinity.

A better pick I think would be Spain, or Iberia as Rich suggested. Both are excellent

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Between Spain and Iberia, I'd go to Med Manor. ;-)

Iberia Peninsula did an OK - just OK - rodizio to me. Spain I've been to for seafood and can speak volumes about a grouper special I had there once, but I didn't have the rodizio.

Brasilia Grill actually is far better on the weekends. If you don't mind the admitted cafeteria size/ambience, when the meat has a high turnover it is extremely perfect.

If you want a very strong rodizio and more homey/Iberian ambience, I have to back Jason's recommendation for Mediterranean Manor on Jefferson. I'm not sure how convenient it is to the Prudential Center, but it's been the acme of rodizio for my family and I since I was twelve.

If you change your mind and want a more classic Iberian meal, Casa Vasca should be #1 on your list.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

(snip)

If you want a very strong rodizio and more homey/Iberian ambience, I have to back Jason's recommendation for Mediterranean Manor on Jefferson.  I'm not sure how convenient it is to the Prudential Center, but it's been the acme of rodizio for my family and I since I was twelve. 

It's about a mile from Med Manor to Pru Center, a little too far to walk at night.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'm driving so the walking distance doesn't matter that much. When i last did Med Manor it was on a week night and was just ok but i understand that all of these places are better when it's crowded(higher meat turnover). i know Casa Vasca well and have been going there for probably a decade or so and really love the food but i'm really hankering for some salty grilled meats and plenty of them. I've never been to Iberia or Iberian peninsula before so maybe i'll try them just to expand my newark rodizio experience.

thanks and regards,

Brian

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long