• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

zig zag

i'm heading to zig zag tonight but can't find anything on this board about it (except that ben thinks mai tai's might be good there...i'll let you know)

anyone been? good food? i've heard it's smoky but i'm hoping it won't be too bad - i'm recently reformed and not looking to stray.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Let's just start with this, Zig Zag is fantastic. Order any of the cocktails on their list and you won't be disappointed. Or sit at the bar and have Maury, KC or Ben created something for you (tonight it will most likely be Maury). The food is pretty good, but superflous to the cocktails. It is very smoky but they do have an outdoor seating area that might be a less smoky option. Have fun and report back.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

we're celebrating and it's lovely outside so i'm now twice as excited for the evening to arrive!

thanks!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

in the interest of science, i had a mai tai. interestingly - i discovered that i'm either not crazy about zig zags - or just not all that into mai tais. they make theirs with 3 rums (light, dark & spiced - though there was no visible floater) orange juice, almond syrup and soda. not sweet enough and too orangey (might have been a spot of triple sec as well)

i can, however, vouch for the mojitos. damn. old cubans (despite the name that doesn't fit the look of the drink) were also a hit with our group. we sat outside and thus missed the very different scene inside. the food we had was fine and despite dumping 2 drinks on my friend (d'oh!) the waitress was very good and nice. (she handled the spillage very well...got her a towel, bought her a drink and didn't ignore us.) i would definitely return.

--6 Train

We went there for drinks at the beginning of my bachelor party. The bartender sent over a "Slutty Redhead" drink for me, which was hysterically appropriate if you have ever seen Katie.

You ARE referring to the 'redhead' part, right? (psst, I'm trying to save your ass here Ben!)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946