• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco to San Diego

Al_Dente

Thanks for all excellent info everyone! I really appreciate your efforts. :smile:

Our trip is shaping up. It looks like we'll spend about 1/2 of our free time in Big Sur. 2 nights in SF, 3 in Big Sur, 1 in Hollywood (just for kicks), and then the 2 nights in SD for the family reunion. Reservations are in for Zuni Cafe, we'll probably hit one of the North Beach Italian joints mentioned above, and defitely hit whatever vineyards you all mention (especially Bonny Doon). I'll also have to do the oyster feast that Tana suggests.

Any suggestions for Hollywood? Something kinda cheesy would be fun.

Also, I'll be making a big paella in San Diego for family. Any suggestions on where I can purchase a paella pan? What about good local seafood to throw in the dish? Sausage? Saffron? Arborio rice?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Al Dente, have you ever been to Santa Cruz or the redwoods? If not, I recommend spending one of your Big Sur nights here, wholeheartedly.

Not only does Santa Cruz have the ocean, but it's got redwoods (you could take a steam engine locomotive from Roaring Camp down to the Boardwalk and ride the wonderful rollercoaster (the old-fashioned wooden death trap kind!).

Dinner? Oswald, Ristorante Avanti, or Gabriella Café. All those chefs shop at the farmers' market, and all of them serve local, seasonal, organic, vibrant food (and good wine lists!). Dinners in SC are much less expensive than fancy places in SF.

And on your way out of town, stop at Gayle's Bakery and Rosticceria for a picnic

http://www.gaylesbakery.com/

http://www.gabriellacafe.com/

Oswald and Avanti don't have websites, but Avanti is the CASCC member of the month now, and here is a piece on them (I took the photos):

http://www.culinarysantacruz.com/profile-avanti.php

To add one more bit of persuasion, because I really hope you'll visit for a whole day, read The Blackmailing Babysitter (me).

I know, you've probably got your plans all made, but please consider staying a day in Santa Cruz. It's a little bit of Eden on the California coast. And not as costly as most of the rest of the cities on the sea. :wub: Regardless, I'll meet y'all, with pleasure. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for all excellent info everyone! I really appreciate your efforts. :smile:

Our trip is shaping up. It looks like we'll spend about 1/2 of our free time in Big Sur. 2 nights in SF, 3 in Big Sur, 1 in Hollywood (just for kicks), and then the 2 nights in SD for the family reunion. Reservations are in for Zuni Cafe, we'll probably hit one of the North Beach Italian joints mentioned above, and defitely hit whatever vineyards you all mention (especially Bonny Doon). I'll also have to do the oyster feast that Tana suggests.

Any suggestions for Hollywood? Something kinda cheesy would be fun.

Also, I'll be making a big paella in San Diego for family. Any suggestions on where I can purchase a paella pan? What about good local seafood to throw in the dish? Sausage? Saffron? Arborio rice?

across the bay from your sf adventures (you can drive or BART there) in berkeley is a mecca for all things paella--the spanish table on san pablo st. they have paella pans from toy-sized ($6) to "feeds 200". cool place to spend a half hour, or a half day!spanish table

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Since you're planning to be just across the bay... you should check with:

The Spanish Table

(510) 548-1383

1814 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702

This store features all sorts of things paella. They also have a store in Seattle where I saw one that had to be at least 3 feet in diameter. Of course they also have your more typical sizes.

----------------------

Edited to add: It took me that long to write this thing?

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

If I'm in town, (L.A. that is) and you're interested, I might take you guys on the Joe (won't say his last name to protect his identity) Underbelly Tour of L.A. I'll just say it ends somewhere on Sunset Blvd.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Our trip is shaping up. It looks like we'll spend about 1/2 of our free time in Big Sur. 2 nights in SF, 3 in Big Sur, 1 in Hollywood (just for kicks), and then the 2 nights in SD for the family reunion. Also, I'll be making a big paella in San Diego for family. Any suggestions on where I can purchase a paella pan? What about good local seafood to throw in the dish? Sausage? Saffron? Arborio rice?

I'm sure you could find these places on your own too... but if you're interested in doing some hiking, walking, hanging out at the beach in Big Sur here are a few ideas:

*** There is a great park/beach with wonderful stone arches in Big Sur--- it really is a special place. I don't know the name of it, but here is how to get there: driving South on 1, just past the Big Sur Ranger Station, then you take the first right onto a small road (it is about 0.5-1.5 miles past the station). You almost have to make a U-turn (to the right) to get onto the road. Drive in ~ 2-3 miles to parking lot. Then it is a short walk to the beach. Great place to bring a picnic lunch and hang out for a while.

***Point Lobos State Park in Carmel. Beautiful short easy walks among wind-blown cypresses, Carribean-style coloring of the sea on blue days, lots of wildlife easy to see--otters, sea lions, etc.

***Andrew Molera State Park: Northern Big Sur (i.e. before ranger station). Can do a short flat hike to the beach along a stream (~ 1.5 miles each way); can make a lovely longer hike by hiking up a bluff with great views of the ocean and also the Big Sur Mountains to the east the whole time (total round trip ~ 10 miles).

Also--farther south, stop at julia pfeiffer burns state park to see the spectacular waterfall onto the beach. You might think you are in Hawaii for a moment...

There are also nice hikes on the east side of Hwy 1--in the redwoods. I have redwoods up by me so I haven't checked those out yet. Should be info at the Ranger Station though...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I think some of the best seafood in San Diego can be found at Ranch 99, an Asian market on Clairmont Mesa Blvd. I get the medium sized shrimp with the heads on, which are consistently excellent. They also have a huge counter of whole fish, and big tanks of live fish, Maine and Pacific lobsters, and several types of crabs.

In Hollywood, you might take a look at Musso & Frank. It's the oldest restaurant (1919) in Hollywood, and has a lot of local history behind it. The menu hasn't changed much in at least 50 years, so the food is heavy, and it's not cheap. They have great drinks- real old-time martinis and other classic cocktails from an era when everything in a stemmed glass wasn't called a martini. You might just stop by for a drink at the bar, or try it for lunch and order an omelette, the flannel cakes.

Cheesy?

How about Saddleback Ranch on the Sunset Strip, a place built around a mechanical bull? Or a cheeseburger at a local In N Out Burger? :cool:

For more upscale, definitely try A.O.C.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help everyone! Had some great times sampling the foods and wines of CA.

Some hightlights:

Some Bonnydoon action:

i11705.jpg

Discovering the Big Sur Restaurant and Bakery (I highly recommend this place):

i11699.jpg

Fish and Chips lunch at a restaurant in Lucia:

i11706.jpg

The view from there:

i11707.jpg

Delicious lunch at Kevah (the cafe of Nepenthe):

i11710.jpg

i11712.jpg

The view from Kevah:

i11713.jpg

Making my Paella for the family in San Diego:

i11708.jpg

We also had a great dinner at Zuni Cafe (sorry, no pics).

I'll try to post more later. I need to especially do a review of the Big Sur Restaurant and Bakery. It's just south of the turn off for Pfeiffer Beach on Rt 1.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

You really didn't have to post a picture of that paella, did you?! Ruined me for the day. Dayum, that looks good! :shock:

I still think they're a fun visit, but I find BD's wines a bit inconsistent these days. Some hits and misses, and a lot of ground in between.

Great report, glad you enjoyed your Left Coast swing.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

• 5 months later...

Will be taking a trip to SD and SF (we will have a car) at the end of Februrary-beginning of March.

(Questions were also posted on another website)

Here's the San Diego side of it:

I am hoping to find some good Mexican food, as well as seafood. What would be ideal is a little Mexican seafood hole in the wall, the kind that serves ceviche tostadas and the like. Is there something like that in the San Diego area?

I would also welcome recommendations for other styles of cuisine, since I don't want to burn out on Mexican food.

Also, I want to check out a Chuao Chocolatier store. Apparently there's one store in Encinitas and one in La Jolla. Anyone know if there's any difference between the stores, like one being bigger than the other, or one offering a more diverse selection of chocolates?

I've heard praise of Cantina Panaderia, but I don't know what kind of food is served and what the prices are like. Can anyone tell me?

So far I'm considering:

Nacho's Taco Shop in La Mesa

Bahia Mexican Restaurant  

Boo Cho Korean

Emerald for dim sum

Mama’s Lebanese

The Fishery

El Porvenir

Gelato Vero

Carnitas Urupan

Berta's

Khyber Pass

A final consideration: one of our potential dining companions has a very low tolerance for chili heat. She loves Mexican food so long as there's one thing on the menu that she can order that won't blow her head off. If any of these places are for fire-breathers only, please let me know.

Now here's the SF portion:

I've researched some of the restaurants in SF and have some questions.

Will be there for three days at the beginning of March (Thursday, Friday, Saturday).

We're pretty much open to all kinds of cuisine, but I'm a little more open to lowkey places, because I tend to burn out when I'm only eating at high-end places.

Here's what we've decided so far:

One dinner will be at Aziza.

One lunch will be at Ti Couz.

One lunch or dinner will be at Chez Panisse's cafe.

Ferry Plaza market for breakfast or lunch on Saturday.

I am considering Curry Corner in Hayward for one of the lunches.

XOX truffles and Rechiutti's chocolates, and possibly Tartine Bakery or Citizen Cake for baked goods.

A close friend suggested the Gingerbread House in Oakland for dinner. She hasn't lived in the area for a while so I'm interested in any current impressions of the place.

About Chez Panisse: is lunch in the cafe similar to dinner in the cafe in pricing and menu options?

A similar question about Tamal. They have a dinner menu on their website but no lunch menu. Are the items available and the prices similar to the dinner menu?

We're also interested in Chinese food (I have Yank Sing and Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae in my notes), and any other suggestions would be welcome.

Finally, an open-ended question: What else shouldn't I miss?

Will be taking a trip to SD and SF (we will have a car) at the end of Februrary-beginning of March.

I am hoping to find some good Mexican food, as well as seafood.  What would be ideal is a little Mexican seafood hole in the wall, the kind that serves ceviche tostadas and the like.  Is there something like that in the San Diego area?

I would also welcome recommendations for other styles of cuisine, since I don't want to burn out on Mexican food.

Also, I want to check out a Chuao Chocolatier store.  Apparently there's one store in Encinitas and one in La Jolla.  Anyone know if there's any difference between the stores, like one being bigger than the other, or one offering a more diverse selection of chocolates?

I've heard praise of Cantina Panaderia, but I don't know what kind of food is served and what the prices are like.  Can anyone tell me?

So far I'm considering:

Bahia Mexican Restaurant 

Boo Cho Korean

Emerald for dim sum

Mama’s Lebanese

The Fishery

El Porvenir

Gelato Vero

Carnitas Urupan

Berta's

Khyber Pass

A final consideration:  one of our potential dining companions has a very low tolerance for chili heat.  She loves Mexican food so long  as there's one thing on the menu that she can order that won't blow her head off.  If any of these places are for fire-breathers only, please let me know.

Tip: Try Pearl (Rancho Bernardo) for Dim Sum [it's owned by the same resturant group as emerald. Heck the manager was the assistant manager at Emerald] instead of Emerald. Less lines and the food is better imho. About a 20-30 min drive from downtown SD (you'll wait at least 45 to 60 min at emerald). Khyber Pass is a good bet too!

A close friend suggested the Gingerbread House in Oakland for dinner.  She hasn't lived in the area for a while so I'm interested in any current impressions of the place. 

About Chez Panisse:  is lunch in the cafe similar to dinner in the cafe in pricing and menu options?

I would not go out of my way to go to Gingerbread House. For the area, it has some fine Louisiana food... but after staying a few days in the greater New Orleans area, I've found it lacking. But it depends on where you're from, and what you like. I personally go to Irish restaurants wherever I go, since there aren't any right around home.

Chez Panisse lunches are cheaper than the dinners, but since it's not a fixed plate affair, you could, of course, spend more. I seem to recall dropping $80 for two at lunch and $130 for dinner a few years back.

I'd actually recommend having a smaller lunch there and hiking up a block to the Cheeseboard to grab a slice of pizza, for a completely different sort of gourmet experience. I've yet to turn down a slice of Cheeseboard pizza no matter how bad the toppings sounded.

For the most part, I can only speak of Oakland, but for Chinese, I'm fond of Bay Fung Tong (19th+Webster) for their amazing Bay Fung Tong crab, and Peony (around 10th+Franklin?) for dim sum. I usually go elsewhere for dim sum due to cost considerations, but since you're on vacation...

I just had dim sum at Hong Kong Flower Lounge today. It was decent, but not great. You might enjoy Harbor Village in Embarcadero Center in SF, or Koi Palace in Daly City.

I've only been to Aziza once, but I wasn't very impressed. I think you can find better couscous in the Tenderloin, although that neighborhood is a bit sketchy, and the atmosphere is on the gritty side.

allison

I am hoping to find some good Mexican food, as well as seafood.  What would be ideal is a little Mexican seafood hole in the wall, the kind that serves ceviche tostadas and the like.  Is there something like that in the San Diego area?

Also, I want to check out a Chuao Chocolatier store.  Apparently there's one store in Encinitas and one in La Jolla.  Anyone know if there's any difference between the stores, like one being bigger than the other, or one offering a more diverse selection of chocolates?

I've heard praise of Cantina Panaderia, but I don't know what kind of food is served and what the prices are like.  Can anyone tell me?

So far I'm considering:

Bahia Mexican Restaurant  

Boo Cho Korean

Emerald for dim sum

Mama’s Lebanese

The Fishery

El Porvenir

Gelato Vero

Carnitas Urupan

Berta's

Khyber Pass

A final consideration:  one of our potential dining companions has a very low tolerance for chili heat.  She loves Mexican food so long  as there's one thing on the menu that she can order that won't blow her head off.  If any of these places are for fire-breathers only, please let me know.

Regarding ceviche, Nacho's has very good ceviche and my wife gets it all the time. It comes in a big plate and you can get any kind of tortilla you'd like. My wife usually gets corn chips. Oh, and they make it fresh to order. It takes about 15-20 minutes and it can get hot/spicy but they can tone it down if you need it that way. A dish I would recommend having besides the ceviche is their Taco's Al Pastor. You get three "mini" tacos and come with two tortillas per taco, pork in a flavorful sauce, onions and cilantro and a slice of lime. I always get them with quacamole. Yummy. Another thing to get is a carne asada burrito and have them cook the meat with their home-made salsa. This is a must if you've had a carne asada burrito with fillers such as rice and/or beans. There is nothing in them except meat, pico de gallo, and quacamole. Very good and big. Another tasty item is their carne asada torta. Basically a steak sandwich with lots of stuff in between mexican bread. Damn, I wish they were open right now (I live a block away). Anyway, I highly recommend this place. Their salsa is not hot but since it's home made, it can get hot depending on the day. Very good flavor. I could go on...can you tell I love the place?

If you like BBQ, I'd suggest Phil's BBQ on Goldfinch at Washington in the Hillcrest area.

If you like Thai, I'd suggest Taste of Thai, Celedron or Rama. My wife and I are going to Rama for V-day tomorrow night. Never been as they just opened but I hear it's awesome. Same owners as Celedron.

For steak, Greystone downtown is very good, upscale, well appointed. Another steakhouse called Bully's on Camino Del Rio South in Mission Valley has great prime rib and is a dark place with red carpet, black leather booths and a piano bar. Local joint with nice atmosphere.

For Chinese, I'd sugget P. F. Changs. We go often as it has variety beyond the standards but includes some of the favorites. Got to try their Lemon Pepper Shirmp and their chicken lettuce wraps. There is one located in Mission Valley at the end of Fashion Valley mall. The one off La Jolla Village Drive has better look as the entire restuarant has glass walls. The mission valley one has very nice decor but I like the overall look of the other one better. The huge horse statues out front are cool.

Google Cantina Panaderia for plenty of reviews. Looks interesting.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Some notes:

--IN YOUR SAN DIEGO SECTION

I have been to both the Encinitas and the La Jolla Chuao Chocolatier stores, multiple (but not numerous) times last summer. To the best of my recollection, both places had all the chocolates for sale. The Encinitas store is actually where they make it though, so that is points in its favor. But the La Jolla store sells drinks, like the hot chocolate which Krys Stanley tipped us off to. I have not tried the drinks myself.

--IN YOUR SAN FRANCISCO SECTION

I actually agree with MsMelkor on the dim sum front. I was recently at Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae but I still don't get why people go on about this place. They do some things well, but not any better than the anywhere else in town. My favorite in the Bay Area is still Koi Palace, but it is quite a trek to get there, and there is a huge wait even if you call ahead (which you should!). Also, service at Koi Palace is something people always complain about, but you just have to be aggressive and you will get what you want. They do the order sheet system, but they also come by with carts.

Harbor Village is in the city proper, a bit expensive, but pretty good too. I haven't been there in a while.

I would try Ton Kiang over Harbor Village though. Yeah, it's a pain to park and there's lots of tourists here waiting in the cold wind, but the seafood dishes are pretty good, though small in size. I just order more.

Yank Sing is on the other side of the spectrum. It's a tourist mecca, it's really expensive, but there are some good dishes. It is hit or miss though, at least in my limited experience. I would go there more often, but I just cannot forgive stone cold dan tat.

On the other side of the Bay, I tried Hong Kong East Ocean, thanks to hzrt8w's rec, and well, it's definitely the best on the East Bay that I've tried so far. Incredible view on the sunny day too.

Here's where I would direct you to:

1. Koi Palace (I personally think it is worth the schlep and the crappy service)

2. Ton Kiang (yep that's right, people)

3. Yank Sing (since you're a tourist)

4. Harbor Village

--edited to clarify what section I was talking about, San Diego or San Fran.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Hi creepygirl,

Looks like you did some homework!

A few comments:

I like Ti Couz (but havent' been there in awhile) if yoiu can go at a slightly off time you might have a shorter wait.

If you want some food to take away from the Ferry Market for a picnic/snack try some Cowgirl Creamery Cheeses and Acme bread. The Ferry Market wine store has great selections and they usually have some interesting wines open for by the glass tasting.

Another great bakery (french in this case) is Bay Bread Boulangerie off of Fillmore--great selection of savory tarts and sandwiches and sweet things--including a large selection of macarons.

Again, if you're interested in chocolate and over in the East bay you could stop by Scharffenberger's factory and cafe...

If you love seafood--fresh oysters, crab Louis, consider stopping by Swan Oyster Depot. It's counter seating on stools. Open during the day up until ~ 5:00. (they might not be open on Sundays).

Haven't been to Aziza, so can't comment. If you look on the recent, "who's hot in SF" thread, I'd be interested in trying out some of the Peruvian restaurants people mentioned.

Have a wonderful trip and report back if you can; always good to get more recent info on places and different impressions.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I would not go to Gingerbread House. It's really overpriced for mediocre Cajun food.

I would also wait for SF before getting Asian food, in spite of Octaveman's recommendation of PF Chang's. If you have a car--which I'm assuming you do since you talked about Hayward--I'd try Saigon Seafood for dim sum. Or, right next to Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae is Fook Yuen, which is very good as well. Granted, if you're willing to go down to Millbrae you might as well just go to Koi Palace--which would be closer!

I had a really good experience at Aziza as well, if you're interested in upscale, slightly fusion-y, Moroccan.

The big question is -- are you driving from San Diego to San Francisco? Because if you are, you might want some recommendations for places to stop inbetween...

For example, if you are leaving San Diego relatively late in the morning (say, 9:00-ish), you would be driving through Gardena around lunch time (assuming you go the 405 with is MUCH preferable than staying on the 5 all the way). Shin Sen Gumi is hands-down my favorite lunch place and is a mere 1/2 block off east off the Western Boulevard exit. You are also in Japanese food heaven, if that interests you at all.

Need to go a little further before stopping? Right off the 405 in Santa Monica is Sawtelle, yet even more fabulous Japaese restaurants and some great ones specializing in Shabu Shabu.

After that, restaurants kinda suck big rocks because you'll be going through Valencia and then Central California which has little or nothing going for it other than that Apricot place which is only good for apricot shakes (about 3 hours north of Los Angeles and 3 hours south of San Francisco).

I would not go to Gingerbread House. It's really overpriced for mediocre Cajun food.

Glad to hear someone else feels the same way.

Not to say that there are a whole lot of better Cajun offerings in Oakland. But it's not worth going out of your way, especially since some of their "specialties" require calling a day in advance.

I think this place gets visited for the same reason Le Cheval does: it's in practically every guidebook that even mentions Oakland. Good PR, I guess?

I loved our lunch at the Ferry Market Plaza! We enjoyed the oysters at Hog Bay (is that right??) and they also served a wonderful grilled cheese sandwich with bread from Acme and 3 cheeses from Cow Girl. That worked out very well for us.

I also really liked Plouf for mussles, the ally it is in is soooo cute. Outside seating.

didn't peak upstairs while at CP but thought the dinner downstairs was very good. Especially liked the little tour of the kitchen and the wine cellar.

Have fun!

In my opinion, you can do no better for fish in San Diego than a visit to Point Loma Seafoods. Straightforward food served by people who know fish their fish. It can be a bit of a scene, you order at the counter for the fish market. No tables inside but they do have a few picnic tables outside. Most folks seem to be taking it to go.

Also, if you are looking for food to snack on in the car, try the smoked Wahoo that they usually carry in the smoked fish case adjacent to the fresh fish case.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN