• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco to San Diego

Al_Dente

Regarding SF, for a low-key food night, I really recommend going to Zante's Pizza on Mission St. Their Indian Pizza is really one of my very favorite things to eat in the whole City. Their regular Indian food is good, too, but you should really bypass everything else on the menu and go for the Indian pizza.

Also, for lunch, definitely get the super al pastor (barbeque pork) burrito at almost any taqueria on Mission St. There's one on 25th or 26th that is particularly good.

Edited by plk (log)

Ti Couz is an old favorite. In addition to their big specialty of crepes (ratatouille-fromage is my favorite for savory, plain sugar for sweet) they also have very good salads and a great value cheese plate. Order some French apple cidre to go along with your meal.

On the bakery front, you should try both a Bay Bread boulangerie (there's three or four of them around town) for macarons (they're the French kind, nothing in common with the coconut type) and canneles and Tartine (more of a breakfast place) for morning buns and a slice of quiche.

While you're out here, I'd recommend trying also one of our Nuevo Latino restaurants. Peruvian is quite popular nowadays (Limon, Mochica and Fresca are all good choices), and we also have some pan-Latin American ones (Alma, Destino, Platanos, Charanga come to mind).

Edited by Malik (log)

In Cayucos, a tiny town about 30 minutes west from the 101 at Atascadero in San Luis Obispo county, there is a fantastic bistro called Hoppe's Garden Bistro. If you can spare the time, it is definitely a stop worth making. It's a lovely little town by the ocean and whatnot. But what keeps me going back is Wilhelm Hoppe's food. He is somewhat of a local legend and a man who easily has my vote for best cook in SLO county.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

If you stop at Santa Barbara during lunchtime, I suggest you go to La Super-Rica on 622 N. Milpas St., on the corner of Milpas & Alphonse St.

It's a shack on the corner, where you stand & order these Sonoran street vendor-type dishes. Julia recommended it. When I drive up the 101 on vacation, I time my drive from LA so I hit this place for lunch. Very simple, very fresh. Cash only.

BTW, if you stop over in San Luis Obispo for the night, there's a wonderful farmer's market on Thursday nights, with some delicious Santa Maria style tri-tip & BBQ stands along Higuera.

fiftydollars, is this the same Hoppe that has/had a restaurant over in Morro Bay??

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

La Super-Rica IS amazing, but depending on their route, isn't exactly 'on the way.' Santa Barbara is a a whole day's side-trip (or at least a half-a-day) as you exit LA on an entirely different freeway than if doing a bee-line to San Francisco.

If creepygirl is planning to drive from San Diego to San Francisco in one day, then you're right. Going to Santa Barbara would be out of the way. Especially if she wants to experience the full Southern California rush hour traffic in the morning!! :laugh: And once over the Grapevine, what is there to see? Kettleman City? Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and NOT shut down the 5 Freeway (it's going to rain down here during this 3-day weekend). :sad:

But driving from SD to SF in two days on the 101 is much more scenic & humane, IMO. She can stop in SB & SLO, see some of the Central Coast wineries (i.e., Rebel Rose's Dover Canyon Winery), and on to "The City."

The many suggestions and options we let creepygirl know about can only help her make a more informed decision.

creepygirl, whatever you decide, most of all, enjoy your trip!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

But driving from SD to SF in two days on the 101 is much more scenic & humane, IMO.
I would tend to agree with this, on general principles: 99 and 101 are much more interesting drives than I-5.

And, to be honest, I don't think they're really that much slower. Last time I headed down to Fresno, I-5 was "faster" at peak speeds, but there were so many trucks that my average speed wasn't really that great.

And the random stops along the way seemed a lot more interesting...

One lunch will be at Ti Couz.

Ferry Plaza market for breakfast or lunch on Saturday.

We're also interested in Chinese food (I have Yank Sing and Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae in my notes), and any other suggestions would be welcome.

Ti Couz is great. Be sure to try some of the delicious Breton Cider and save room for dessert. The Cafe Ligeous (sp?) crepe is my favorite.

The Ferry Plaza is fantastic, disneyland for foodies. Very expensive, though. I hope I don't offend anyone; but, I would skip Taylor's Refresher. I've been pretty disappointed with the food I've had there and feel they use too many pre-fab ingredients. Traci Des Jardin's little gourmet taqueria, on the other hand, is quite good.

I would also skip Yank Sing. My wife and I differ on this; but, I really don't understand the appeal and the prices are ridiculous. If you want to go out for Dim Sum, I would second what another poster said and go to Ton Kiang. Honestly, they have the best dim sum I've ever had. Koi Palace is a lot of fun, though I would suggest a dinner there. It is very busy at the weekend, so either make reservations or be prepared for a wait.

I have not been to Hong Kong Flower Lounge for dim sum; but, Seafood Harbor, also in Millbrae, is very good.

Erik

edited for repetitive word use

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I hope I don't offend anyone; but, I would skip Taylor's Refresher.  I've been pretty disappointed with the food I've had there and feel they use too many pre-fab ingredients. 

I would also skip Yank Sing. 

Erik

Actually, many of us agree with you! Taylor's makes great onion rings and I adore their Ahi Sandwich, but not often -- they are honestly just too expensive for what you get.

And I agree with you on Yank Sing. I prefer Koi Palace for Dim Sum.

I hope I don't offend anyone; but, I would skip Taylor's Refresher.  I've been pretty disappointed with the food I've had there and feel they use too many pre-fab ingredients. 

Erik

Actually, many of us agree with you! Taylor's makes great onion rings and I adore their Ahi Sandwich, but not often -- they are honestly just too expensive for what you get.

Several friends and coworkers refuse to go to Taylor's because it is too expensive... so I often have to go it alone (damn that burger!)...

Erik

Several friends and coworkers refuse to go to Taylor's because it is too expensive... so I often have to go it alone (damn that burger!)...

When my father was visiting over the holidays, he really wanted to go and insisted and taking my sister and I. None of us ordered wine and lunch for three (burgers, shakes, fries...) was over $50.00!

When my father was visiting over the holidays, he really wanted to go and insisted and taking my sister and I. None of us ordered wine and lunch for three (burgers, shakes, fries...) was over $50.00!

That sounds about right. It costs around $15-$20 per person for lunch at Taylors. Great fries, good burgers, and good shakes - seems like a good thing to me. But, the one in St Helena is far better than the Ferry Plaza shop.

hat sounds about right.  It costs around $15-$20 per person for lunch at Taylors.

Ooops. Didn't mean to derail the thread with my Taylor's Refresher comment. I just think there are better and more interesting places to eat at the Ferry Building. Get a BBQ pork or hot pastrami sandwich and (real) lemonade to go at Golden Gate Meats and sit outside and watch the ferries.

One place I would recommend if you are in the East Bay and interested in Indian food, is Breads of India. It is a tiny (but nice) restaurant on Sacramento at Dwight Way in Berkeley. There's a lot of good Indian food in Berkeley; but, their interpretations are truly fantastic.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like we have a new visitor coming to San Diego--what kind of food are you looking for Willie?

For Chinese food it's a good idea to head to Kearny Mesa and try Spicy City and/or China Max (SC is closed on Mondays). Emerald is also quite good if you have enough people for dim sum, if its a weekday, and if you can arrive early. Also, there is another place a bit North on Convoy called Jasmine that is good and has a takeout counter with a separate entrance to the right of the main door.

There is a very good beer pub called O'Brien's across Convoy from Jasmine--belgian, IPA, usually something cask-conditioned.

Edited by martha (log)

I recently visited SD and the places I most enjoyed were:

Crown Bistro (Coronado) - gorgeous breakfast, seating outside near a host of blooming bushes. Coveted my friend's artichoke and green onion scramble. Sweet, wonderful homemade jam was to die for. I ate it from a spoon when the bread ran out.

Indigo Grill (in Little Italy, I think) - huge portions, the biggest I have EVER seen - so share. Nuevo Tex-Mex, if I had to pin it down. Great tamales.

Voyage near the waterfront - all I ordered was a salad with grilled scallops but it was divine and the menu looked worth checking out - a mix of French/Mediterranean and Asia.

(P.S. If you are so inclined, you can read about all the places we ate in detail at http://foodmusings.typepad.com/food_musing...her_city_.html)

I live in San Diego and one of my new favorite places is Chef Lau's.

http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/271234

It's great Asain Tapas at a really reasonable price. Dumpling wrapers and noodles are made fresh--they claim they are one of the few in the US who make these from scratch. Atmosphere is great, and not your typical paper placemats with Chinese birth signs on it.

Another great place is Region. www.regionrestaurant.com

Region is seasonal regional cuisine and strictly goes by this philosophy. It is really reasonably priced and on Tuesdays there is a prix fix - three course for only $31. However, you cannot chose your own dishes on Tuesday, which can be a drag because all the food there is so good.

El Indio of course is a classic http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/86646

Great Mexican and the nachos come with cheese sauce (my embarassing weakness) Mmmmm......cheese sauce

Point Loma does have the best seafood. One of my classmates (I'm a culinary student) works there and can filet a fish like a........you finish the metaphor.

Cafe Cerise http://www.cafecerise.com/

Although I have not personally been here yet, I have only heard amazing things about this place and even better I heard it is a great lunch spot. No lunch on Sat., which makes it hard for me to get to.

I'll be coming to SD in May for a graduation--we'll not have much time for eating out, but I would like to know places nearby where we'll be staying for quick bites.

We also may need a dinner place for that evening, and/or possibly Friday evening for a group of 10. I'm not real familiar with the landscape, but if you have any recs and can give me landmarks for looking up on a map, that would be helpful.

We'll be staying on Scripps Ranch Blvd. We arrive midday Thurs and are thinking of going to Da Kine's for lunch before heading to the apartment where we'll be staying. As for food, we have many issues to deal with, so a restaurant to feed all types would be best...( :unsure: lactose intolerant, Atkins friendly, low fat, allergies to garlic, soy and legumes, to name a few of the issues we have in our group) Tough order, I know!

Edited by squids (log)

• 11 months later...

Hi everybody!

Iam new here (and Iam from germany, so please excuse possible errors in my spelling and/or grammar).

I've been following the very intersting discussions on this board for quite some time now.

Now Iam planning a trip through california and could need some recommendations for good restaurants in the citys I intend to visit.

-Our journey starts in San Diego.

-Next stop Santa Monica/Venice/L.A.

-After that a little detour to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon.

-Then we are headed to San Francisco, with one or two stops on the way (haven't decided our route from Vegas to SF yet. One possible stop is San Louis Obispo, if we take Highway No 1 and don't take the route through Death Valley/Kings Canyon).

From some research on this site it seems to me that San Diego isn't really interesting when it comes to restaurants (to put it mildly).

Haven't searched for the L.A. and Vegas areas yet, but especially in the L.A. area there seem to be thousands of restaurants, so I could need some specific recommendations...(we'll be living in Santa Monica, though!)

San Francisco, in any case, seems to be extremely interesting restaurant-wise. We won't make it to the French Laundry, but in SF we are thinking about Gary Danko, Fleur de Lyss, Le Citron and Manresa (which seems to be located a little bit too far "out of town", though).

What surprised me, is that the food-prices in places like Gary Danko are relatively moderate, compared to german restaurants in that league (but maybe that is only a result from the rather good dollar/euro-ecxchange rate...). Wine prices on the other hand...(not to speak of champagne...)

Important note: We are not only looking for "high end" fine dining (can't afford that each night), but also for some nice little diners, ethnic food or good "streetcorner restaurants" (as we say in german).

Anyhow: Thanks a lot for any recommendations, advices, tips (or warnings)!

Greetings from Germany!

kai

Edited by kai-m (log)

Haven't made a reservation yet - but I guess I'll go for something in the area downtown/balboa park. We'll stay in the city for 5 nights, with 3 "free" evenings (my sister is getting married).

Generally we don't like restaurants that are too "formal" (not to say "stiff"), meaning: no "tie-required" places (I'm going to a restaurant, not to the office...), no snobby staff etc.

PS: Regarding San Francisco: I just browsed a bit through the countless SF-dining-threads...oh my god!! I'm all dizzy...we have 4-5 nights and now we have, like, 78 restaurant names that all seem to serve great food: Chapeau, Clementine, Quince, Jardiniere, Piperade, Gary Danko, Cortez, Fleur de Lys, Boulevard etc etc...

So please: Help me decide! (Is Danko really a "tourist spot", as I have read somewhere?)

Gary Danko has excellent service and solid food, but the menu has been more or less the same for the past 3+ years. They've settled in to a style that works for business dinners and tourists. There are many other restaurants in the city worth checking out.

Bertram"s at Mr A"s has a view thats tough to beat> jacket required but not tie>

i dont think anyplace in san diego actually requires a tie>

excuse weird punctuation> my keyboard is scrambled

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.