• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm kicking sugar...

Going without fruit for 11 months is terrible for your body- no matter what weight you lost. You need 3-5 portions per day. I keep wondering if all the Atkins people care about their heart, cholesterol, fat, the third world (since it is an American expensive indulgent "diet", meant for people with money that can't say no and aren't interested in exercising.)Most of our food, once we put it into our mouths is converted to sugar.

Eat whole grains (don't eat white rice). Eat fruit, eat vegetables. The simpilest trick is don't eat processed food.

Going without fruit for 11 months is terrible for your body- no matter what weight you lost. You need 3-5 portions per day. I keep wondering if all the Atkins people care about their heart, cholesterol, fat, the third world (since it is an American expensive indulgent "diet", meant for people with money that can't say no and aren't interested in exercising.)Most of our food, once we put it into our mouths is converted to sugar.

Eat whole grains (don't eat white rice). Eat fruit, eat vegetables. The simpilest trick is don't eat processed food.

You are victim to a lot of misconceptions here.

First off all, you are right in saying that it would be terrible to go without fruits or veggies for 11 months (or any long period of time) as anyone would suffer from vitamin deficiency due to this. Dr. Atkins, and whoever penned the South Beach diet, realized this, and both diets feature lots of vegetables, nuts, berries, and low to medium glycemic fruits all within that first year. If you eat only bacon, eggs, and steaks of course you will not be healthy, but the same potential for abuse comes in in traditional low-fat diets where someone could try to live on rice cakes, tofu, and iceburg lettuce, still not enough vitamins coming in.

With regards to expense: my grocery bills are about the same since Atkins (although not since eGullet ;) ) they are just for different things. Processed and pre-prepared foods are quite expensive, and while meats, fresh vegetables, and fresh dairy products are not cheap, you are not paying a convenience charge on top of them. You also start to adjust your portion sizes as you realize what your body really needs, so you are not eating as much. The comment about being for people who 'can't say no' is just a cheap shot. In any weight-loss plan you are saying no to something. While on a low-carb regiment you actually have to be quite a bit more strict in your saying no as well, as a single high carb item can set you back for the whole week while in a low-fat regime a cheat here and there, while bad for your progress, is not detrimental. Are you saying it is in some way more noble to lose weight by depriving yourself of fats than of carbs? Also, these plans do very much require exercise to be done correctly. Of course it is possible to lose weight without exercising on them, just as it is possible if you just severely cut back your caloric intake, but either way you are going to lose muscle mass and not be in the best of health. If you do exercise, and any weight-loss plan requires, however, you will become the epitome of good health.

The body does convert most of what goes into it into a form of sugar (glucose) to fuel the cells. Cutting down on the simple and refined starches and sugars in beneficial however because the has trouble regulating large intakes of easily processed foods. It is the speed of how fast sugar, many fruits, and white flours turn into glucose that hurts us.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

i'm no Doctor, and i may be repeating some of what has already been said.

but i quit coffee, sugar, and spirits basically all at the same time.

(replaced coffee with tea and spirits with wine/beer.)

--a cup of tea goes a long way to take the edge off, get rid of headaches, refresh, and lift the mood.

--whole grains get digested slowly (yes, i know they're carbs, but they're *good* carbs), fill you up, and are excellent for fibre. i just added a cup of bulgur (cracked wheat) to chili, and the magnesium in bulgur is off the charts. :smile:

good luck and have fun! :biggrin:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I've recently tried to cut back on the sugar as well and one thing that I found helpful is tip I read in a recent issue of Shape, which was to drink something bitter whenver you have a craving. I'm used to doping up my coffee with lots of cream and sugar, so I started drinking it black. It didn't completely kill my sugar craving, but it helped me get through the workday without hitting the candy machine.

• 2 weeks later...
One good sidenote here, my Dr (FACE) says semolina pasta is ok.

Is this true? I certainly hope it is because one of the things I miss most is pasta made with semolina. I asked a friend if semolina counted as a "whole" wheat, and she thought not, but she, like me is not a nutritionist. If there is anyone out there who knows one way or the other with a high degree of confidence sure would appreciate getting the skinny ( :biggrin: )....on semolina

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

One good sidenote here, my Dr (FACE) says semolina pasta is ok.

Is this true? I certainly hope it is because one of the things I miss most is pasta made with semolina. I asked a friend if semolina counted as a "whole" wheat, and she thought not, but she, like me is not a nutritionist. If there is anyone out there who knows one way or the other with a high degree of confidence sure would appreciate getting the skinny ( :biggrin: )....on semolina

Semolina flour that is used for pasta is a whole grain. If you look at the fiber count for it, it's comparable to whole wheat flour.

That being said, I don't agree with the former post regarding whole grains being "good" carbs when it comes to losing weight. The caloric/ketogenic impact is only slightly mitigated by the fiber, giving you a substantial net carb count overall. Once the weight is lost, many people find whole grains a welcome addition to their maintenance diet, but if you are trying to lose weight by avoiding carbs, I would stay away from the semolina.

Thanks Scott123 -- Helpful info, and I am trying to lose weight via the South Beach regime rather than deal with a sugar craving.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

i detoxed earlier this year. i think it was the lack of sugar that made me want to lose my mind. try sniffing vanilla when the cravings get really bad. it'll never replace the sugar hit, but it does make a craving pass.

i also find tazo wild sweet orange tea very helpful. it's really zingy and orangy...

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

• 10 years later...

what is the best sugar alternatives ??? anybody knows ??

Raihan?

In my opinion, the best sugar alternative is one that YOU like, is one that tastes good to YOU, and that doesnt upset YOUR system.

All sugar alternatives tastes different to each individual. All tongues are different...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Raihan?

In my opinion, the best sugar alternative is one that YOU like, is one that tastes good to YOU, and that doesnt upset YOUR system.

All sugar alternatives tastes different to each individual. All tongues are different...

thanks for your ans  :biggrin:

Why do you want to avoid sugar in the first place?  There are multiple reasons for sugar to b e in a recipe... it adds sweetness... but it also caramelizes when heated.... most substitutes do the first but not the second.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch