• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cell Phone Manners

Holly Moore

I was happily eating my way through a plate of huevos rancheros at Center City Philadelphia's Tequilla's. I had lucked into my favorite window table overlooking Locust Street. All of a sudden - a voice over my shoulder. I turned to hear better - he could only be talkng to me.

Not so. Upon receiving a cell phone call a polite gentleman had excused himself from his table so as to not bother his guests. What better place to carry on a 5 minute business conversation than while gazing out the window on a beautiful June afternoon? Fortunately my presence about 6 inches away did not distract him. I tried to chew softly so as not to disturb his very important call.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

what about when someone answers their cell phone while they are trying to tell me what they want from behind the counter of my bakery. you know, i can deal with the clueless guys who have to call their wives to see if they would prefer their cheesecake with or without fruit, but when i am actually in the middle of asking if you would like a bag or a box, why would you answer a call? and then try to carry on the rest of the transaction by angry looks and gestures, as if to let me know how much i am disturbing their important phone conversation?

i usually just kept asking questions, even more loudly, and when they didn't answer, i answered for myself. ribbon on the box? i guess that means no? what about a shopping bag? you say you don't need it? okay, go ahead carry all the boxes while trying to still jam the tiny tiny phone between your ear and your shoulder, see if i care.

whew, i guess that's why i quit.

I think there should be a "Leave Your Phone At Home" day myself.

Why do people instantly answer them? During any transaction, including social. I'm talking to you, hit cancel on your phone, don't answer it, you'll get a message, deal with it after you deal with me...

I hate them.

I (of course) have two.

Cooks with cell phones kills me. What are they drug dealers that cannot miss a call? I'm starting a new slogan: Shut up and cook!

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

I was have a lunch with a close friend today. During the meal she used her phone 3 times and checked her blackberry twice. I hate the damn things. :angry:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I'm starting a new slogan: Shut up and cook!

My favorite game of Charades with drivers talking on their cell phones is:

HANG UP!!! (thumb and pinky pointing downward and gesturing downward)

AND DRIVE... (Hands at 10 and 2 o'clock on imaginary steering wheel, steering)

YOU ASSHOLE!!! (forefinger curled inward toward thumb like a tightened up OK sign. Looks like a small orifice)

:biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm starting a new slogan:  Shut up and cook!

My favorite game of Charades with drivers talking on their cell phones is:

HANG UP!!! (thumb and pinky pointing downward and gesturing downward)

AND DRIVE... (Hands at 10 and 2 o'clock on imaginary steering wheel, steering)

YOU ASSHOLE!!! (forefinger curled inward toward thumb like a tightened up OK sign. Looks like a small orifice)

:biggrin:

Katie you nasty girl you!! I admit to having one but only a select few people have the number. When I eat it's off. Food is far to important. :laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Cell phones in a restaurant are just plain rude. If you really have to be available for a really important call, there is a little setting called vibrate. Then you can excuse yourself. Otherwise, there is the off button.

Holly was just experiencing yet another example of the current generation of navel gazing, self absorbed, human larvae that were raised by mommy to think that they are the center of the universe and there is nothing more important than what they want to do right now because they are the center of the universe and they know this is true because their mommy told them so.

*whew*

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here's a passive-aggressive trick that's good fun. When I'm on, say, the train, trying to read, and the guy next to me starts talking REALLY LOUD on his cell, I just start reading out loud AT THE SAME VOLUME. Just keep going; don't even meet his eyes...

I haaaaate cell phones in restaurants.

It's so incredibly rude to excuse yourself from a conversation you are having to answer a call, unless you are expecting a birth or a death - you are, in effect, saying "excuse me while I pay attention to someone more important than you at the moment."

I hate call waiting, too, for the same reason.

Cell phones are a convienience to be sure - I have one, and admit I'll chat on it at times when alone, but never while putting someone else on hold (in person or wirelessly) and always unobtrusively, to avoid bothering people within earshot.

You know what I hate the most? People who pull out their ringing phones and just sit there staring at the caller id, trying to decide whether or not to pick it up, while their obnoxious ring tone blares the first few bars of Ode to Joy or Take Me Out to the Ballgame for interminable repetitions at a decibel level approaching that of landing jets.

Here's a passive-aggressive trick that's good fun. 

Chip off the ol' block. Good for you! Our winery tasting room gets a little raucous at times, and I really hate it when someone is talking loud on their cellphone, when the door is just a few steps away. And there's nothing outside but trees and twittering birds. I'm trying to answer questions about wine from other customers, of course. Years ago I learned to start talking ever so quietly. Then the whole room has to lean forward, and they start saying, "I'm sorry, WHAT did you say? I can't hear you!" Then EVERYONE looks at the goober in disgust and he/she finally gets the message and wanders outside. I swear, many people just want the audience!

*Double whew*

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I no longer feel that there is some stigma attached to NOT owning a cell phone. As a retired 70+ who lives alone, I see no reason to call someone from the supermarket or, when traveling, to while away the time spent in an airport. (On my last trip through Houston everyone waiting at the gate was either eating or talking on his/her phone.) Of course, I do have one of those one-way SOS phones in case I get stuck 50 miles from nowhere, a likelihood in Texas driving.

Then there was the time I was at the cashier ordering at a sandwich shop near my work. The young woman in the middle of taking my order at the register hears her cell phone ring and proceeds to answer it. About a minute and a half into her conversation, she suddenly seems to remember me, and solves the problem by ducking down behind the counter to continue her conversation, as if that action would somehow put me in a state of suspended animation because I could no longer see her!

When I recovered from my shock and realized she had no intention of cutting her call short, I left.

Cheers, Squeat

Can Fabes, a 3-starred restaurant in Spain, has this well visible in their menu:

"Mobile phones are very useful items, but we would appreciate it, if, out of respect for the other diners and to be able to fully enjoy the food, you would please turn them off"

which is a translation (omitting the word privacy) of:

"La telefonía móvil es muy útil. Agradeceremos que respeten la intimidad de sus vecinos y les invitamos a disfrutar de la mesa y apagar su aparato."

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

My wife and I were having dinner last night in the tranquil garden of our local sushi restaurant. All that could be heard was the murmur of conversation and the tapping of chopsticks. Perhaps the odd snatch of birdsong. Then Cellphone Man shows up. For the next forty five minutes our meal was punctuated by polyphonic salsa rhythms. Worse, our hero was using the walkie-talkie feature of his phone, so in addition to having to suffer through his end of each of thirteen seperate calls (yes, I counted them), we were treated to the entirety of each static inflected response, replete with electronic trilling to herald the end of moron #1's turn talking and to usher moron #2 back into the exchange. Clearly, we were not the only people offended by this behavior but none of us, including yours truly, said a word. Why, that would be impolite....

Edited by FatTony (log)

ohhhhh, katie love the sign language...

remember on 1 july here in nj drivers have to be hands free

you do not know how many times i have had to walk up to patrons in the library i work in and say " while most people would be entertained by your love life .... could you please take your conversation into the lobby?" and get dirty looks?

my broker got upset with me the other week because i gave him my cell number( i was on the internet) then, when i went out in public, turned the cell off - though i had freed the regular number. he told me i was a bad girl - i told him i was at least considerate( and considering a new broker if that was his attitude).

there is no excuse except for giving birth or dying for anyone to be carrying on a conversation on a cell phone. last time i went into trader joes in florham park i think there were at least 5 people walking around with hands free phones holding conversations at regular decibel levels while shopping. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR YOUR BUSINESS AND/OR PERSONAL CONVERSATIONS. :angry::angry: AND DO NOT BE UPSET WITH ME IF I ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS(obviously not to me)IN CONVERSATIONAL TONES!!!!!!! :shock::rolleyes::hmmm::laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

remember on 1 july here in nj drivers have to be hands free

I have no problem whatsoever with hands free devices. I use one myself and get quite a lot of work done on the drive in to work (call in orders, set up appointments, etc.). I also have voice dial on my cell for important numbers. It's the idiots that have the phone tucked between their chin and shoulder, the stick shift in the other hand and the one remaining hand on the wheel that are weaving all over the road that I give the sign language show for. :biggrin:

I almost always put my phone on vibrate when I'm in a restaurant unless I'm expecting an important call and don't have pockets! Then I answer as quickly and quietly as possible and go out the door immediately to conduct my business, after politely excusing myself from my dining partners.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

almost always put my phone on vibrate when I'm in a restaurant unless I'm expecting an important call and don't have pockets!

ok-

love that vibrate function:biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

course i had someone in the library the other day who left the phone on vibrate on the table where they had been working - made a really odd sound as it worked it's way across the table onto the floor :hmmm:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Here's a passive-aggressive trick that's good fun. When I'm on, say, the train, trying to read, and the guy next to me starts talking REALLY LOUD on his cell, I just start reading out loud AT THE SAME VOLUME. Just keep going; don't even meet his eyes...

Andrew, this is absolutely brilliant! I hope you don't mind if I borrow the technique.

love that vibrate function:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Somehow I knew that was going to get me in trouble! :laugh:

i had someone in the library the other day who left the phone on vibrate on the table where they had been working - made a really odd sound as it worked it's way across the table onto the floor :hmmm:

Which is exactly why I only like to use the vibrate function with pockets. My phone takes enough abuse without falling on the floor any more than it has to. However, the little shriek I make when it goes off unexpectedly is probably a bit disturbing as well. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Here's a passive-aggressive trick that's good fun.  When I'm on, say, the train, trying to read, and the guy next to me starts talking REALLY LOUD on his cell, I just start reading out loud AT THE SAME VOLUME.  Just keep going; don't even meet his eyes...

Andrew, this is absolutely brilliant! I hope you don't mind if I borrow the technique.

'Course not! I confess that I didn't come up with the idea myself; but I can't remember who I borrowed it from.

in spite of "cell free" signs on the door and on every single menu, our joint regularly hosts several calls, incoming and outgoing, daily. sometimes hourly.

the servers all know that they do NOT have to wait on customers until they have stopped talking on their phones. most of the servers, however, are too nice and will engage the self-absorbed with pantomimes, pointing, shaking and nodding.

the back of the house is more fun. all the cooks and dishwashers know that when a cell phone on the floor rings it is their job to cheerfully shout "Hello?"

hasn't made a dent in the cellular nation.

the servers all know that they do NOT have to wait on customers until they have stopped talking on their phones.

Where I work, at the earthy crunchy groceria, a guy got in trouble because he told a woman who was on the phone at the coffee counter in the bakery that he would wait till she was done to wait on her.

The other night I was in the personal care aisle of another store and some guy my age was talking to his teenaged son about what kind of razors did mommy use? It transpired that the kid wasn't even home, but then, wait, mommy herself called on his other line..and he lost her. I loudly commented, "Ahh technology, let's you down every time." As he walked off to get a better signal he ignored me. Dope.

Someone is making a boatload of money off of cellphones. When I realized at the end of a two year commitment to cingular that I had given them almost 1400 bucks for two phones, I said never again. They are both prepay now, but at one point between verizon, comcast and cingular, our telecommunications habit was 200 bucks a month.