• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Factory Refurb KA Mixers

Richard Kilgore

I bought one a year or so ago, and generally, it is fine. One of the wires on the whisk comes off when I wash it, but not in use, and the chrome ring on the mixer (just above where the beaters are inserted) fell off, but a little whack or two with a knife handle fixed that.

That said, I don't use it very often, so I am not sure I have really put it to the test.

Got it from Amazon on the Friday sale thing, and I think it was about $170.

sparrowgrass

Been using mine regularly for a year and a half. In Canada at least, they come with a 90-day warranty. No problems so far <crosses fingers, spits over shoulder, knocks wood>

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If you can find one of the earlier KAs made by Hobart and refurbished, you will have a much better machine.

I had one for 30 years that was a real workhorse.

I bought one of the newer ones but promptly burnt out the motor mixing thick dough.

I got a replacement but only use it for lightweight stuff. I have an AEG (also marketed as Magic Mill DLX) which holds a lot more and can work even very heavy dough.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the info. I was still not certain, but went ahead and ordered it on Amazon -- $159.99 shipped for the 350 watt model in white (colors run about $230 if I recall correctly). I have no idea how old it is, but thought the 350 watt ones were better built and more durable from previous discussions here.

Anyone know how long ago Hobart stopped making them?

I am going to order an extra bowl after my refurb arrives and I check it out. Do I need two extras, or will one do?

How about other accessories? From reading Amazon reviews, there appear to be mixed reviews of the meat grinder attachment. Anything a have-to-have?

I am going to order an extra bowl after my refurb arrives and I check it out. Do I need two extras, or will one do?

How about other accessories? From reading Amazon reviews, there appear to be mixed reviews of the meat grinder attachment. Anything a have-to-have?

I think one extra will probably do. Consider getting the copper insert if it is available. For recipies that involve beating egg yolks and whites separately, you can quickly rinse out the bowl and pop in the copper insert; the copper helps stabilize the egg whites, and you don't have to worry that your bowl wasn't quite clean (which screws up the whipping process for egg whites).

If you're going to make sausage or other charcuterie the grinder attachment would be nice, but I find it a bit of a mess to clean up and some small parts to get eaten by your dishwasher.

Welcome NWsFirst. HotDamn. Third post and you have already opened my eyes. I have been following this thread as my sister needs to replace her KA. I had no idea that you could get a copper insert for the bowls. What a smashingly cool idea!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'd be interested to learn more about Hobart's sale of KitchenAid to Whirlpool. Although I've seen comments online saying the mixers aren't what they used to be, I've not really found any substantiation. What was better about them?

In terms of buying a refurbished one, I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't buy a rebuilt unit given the amount of time one might own a KitchenAid. I've already had mine for 10+ years and many people have them for generations. The up front savings seems negligible in that context.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

ACK! This is the only place I was finding the copper insert. And they say it has been discontinued!

Fantes. (scroll down)

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This just in...

Lowes has the 4 1/2 quart classic for $168.

clickety

They have had it at that price for months now. (Our interest in that model is because it is a direct replacement for the one that died.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Welcome NWsFirst. HotDamn. Third post and you have already opened my eyes. I have been following this thread as my sister needs to replace her KA. I had no idea that you could get a copper insert for the bowls. What a smashingly cool idea!

fifi-

Years ago Williams Sonoma sold them for both the 4 1/2 and 5 quart sizes for the differing KA stand mixer models. (I bought the last one in stock before our Galleria store closed).

http://www.culinaryparts.com/btc/product_d...30&k=KITCHENAID KSM90&pn=1

This website (culinaryparts.com) sells one for the 4 1/2 size, and perhaps for a 5 quarter too.... (I've got to do more searching).

edit: link and tags would not format/work -- may have to go to their homepage, select stand mixers, accesories and then the specific KA model. (sorry)

Edited by beans (log)

Odd... Culinary Parts is my "go-to" site. I searched there and came up empty. Sounds like if anyone has an interest in the copper bowl, they need to nab it now.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

ACK! This is the only place I was finding the copper insert. And they say it has been discontinued!

Fantes. (scroll down)

Anyone got any bright ideas?

My first port of call for such things is always eBay. Not many things you can't find there! and for "vintage" kitchenware it is consistently the best source I've seen. Every time someone on eG posts about the joys of his 50-year-old can't-get-it-any-more {insert name of gadget here}, off I goes to eBay and finds it for a song. (Last coup was, I think, Smithy's wonderful Wearever lemon-squeezer, a joy indeed.)

As for new models vs. old, I'm generally of andiesenji's way of thinking. In the case of the KA mixer she, of course, has the anecdotal/empirical evidence to prove it. I can only say in general that those older and more solidly-built appliances seem to win the contest hands-down every time. My 1919 Singer sewing machine is a case in point, as is my 50s Sunbeam Mixmaster. (I have two of each, having bought the spare ones at garage sales for parts... cheep cheep... but haven't needed them!) Then there's Magnalite, which went distinctly flimsier when it stopped being made by Warner.

[trembly old crone voice]

Ahhhhh, young 'uns, they just don't make 'em like they used to!

[/trembly old crone voice]

Yes! (I have one of those Singer sewing machines too! And the suits I used to sew and tailor were both a boon to my young college grad days on the first 9 to 5 job budget and my wardrobe overall -- they were of a better quality and fit than what I could buy prêt à porter! :raz: )

I have both the 4 1/2 and 5 quart sized Kitchenaid stand mixers. The 5 is newer, but I was thrilled that my dear Grandmother's old glass mixing bowl (from an ancient, all chrome model) fit my 4 1/2. It is simply gorgeous, and works fabulously. Too bad they gave the ancient mixer to the White Elephant Sale Shop sometime in the 1970s, but forgot the extra glass bowl that was still in its box in the spare room.

Other old appliance preferences: old, fun shaped toasters with the cloth covered electrical cords and the sturdy, heavy, electric waffle irons.

[/tangent]

TYPOS/sloppy proofing :angry:

Edited by beans (log)

Other old appliance preferences: old, fun shaped toasters with the cloth covered electrical cords and the sturdy, heavy, electric waffle irons.

I got tired of combing the second-hand stores for one of those waffle irons a couple of years ago, and bought a small two-waffle modern version. Back in February I was in a thrift store here in Edmonton and found an old four-waffle Kenmore with the cloth-covered cord. Works like a charm, and makes better waffles than the new one.

Hmmmmm..... Come to think of it, I haven't made waffles for a while. Maybe I'll mix up some batter tonight before bed.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I got a replacement but only use it for lightweight stuff.  I have an AEG (also marketed as Magic Mill DLX) which holds a lot more and can work even very heavy dough.

Andiesenji, can the Magic Mill knead small batches like 3-4 cups of flour? I'm thinking I could use one of these when my bread machine dies but I don't want to make big batches of bread dough as there's just two people to feed here. Since I mostly use the dough cycle on my bread machine, I could use a machine that would just do the kneading and last longer than an ABM. I have a KA but it doesn't have enough power for some heavy doughs. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Update: The KA just arrived. It looks brand new and it's spotless. I could not distinguish it from new if the box did not say it was a factory refurb. 5 qt, 350 watts, in white. I never could get any info on the warrantee from Amazon, but it says six months on the box (none for paint, but the paint is perfect on this one).

I wouldn't buy a rebuilt unit given the amount of time one might own a KitchenAid. I've already had mine for 10+ years and many people have them for generations. The up front savings seems negligible in that context.

I'd add that, with a bit of patience and scouring, one can find new-in-box KAs of all colors and levels of power for quite a bit less than retail on eBay.

We just bought a 6 quart professional model w 525 W motor (to replace our good ol' 4 1/2 quart model (still in fine shape but too small for our needs) for $250 plus $25 shipping. Elsewhere on the web, it goes for $370 plus shipping.

The rebuilt models are available on eBay direct from KA, too.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts