• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC: National Search for Unique Side Dish

Gifted Gourmet

ambrosia "salad" a gross but essential component to every thanksgiving feast i'm a part of...

canned mandarin oranges (well drained)

pineapple bits (drained!)

sour cream

mini marshmallows

unsweetened coconut flakes

takes 8 seconds to make and keeps all day (the marshmallows bloat and then disintegrate after a day)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

That is why I have a sneaky suspicion that they are after coming up with some sides they can make some real claims on and do a publicity blitz in the process. Are they doing this because they think it will be fun? NAAAAHH! But then, I am a cynic.

Cynic to cynic? I had forgotten about their "healthy fried chicken" (an oxymoron to be sure) claims being exposed ...

and, yes, I most certainly agree that, for a big operation like KFC, $5000 for positive publicity (spun by them, of course) is a paltry, meagre sum ... :sad:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Cornbread salad. It's good, typically southern, keeps well, particularly tasty with chicken, church supper staple in some parts. But a lot of folks haven't heard of it, so there'd be a curiosity factor, too. Which is always nice for publicity purposes.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Inspired by the CNN carb quiz, I'll throw this out (literally) for consideration:

Kentucky Fried Pork Rinds

No carbs, so of course it is a perfect food :huh:

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

"Baked Apple and Cheese Casserole" (recipe from Libby's)?

or an apple fritter thing? a corn fritter?

creamed corn casserole? :rolleyes:

I just think the idea of a sweet side is appealing with fried chicken .. very southern, I know ...

Inspired by the CNN carb quiz, I'll throw this out (literally) for consideration:

Kentucky Fried Pork Rinds

No carbs, so of course it is a perfect food :huh:

:smile:

Jamie

I could care less about carbs, but I do love pork rinds. My boyfriend had never tried them so I offered the bag to him. He leaned forward to smell the bag and I jerked it away and shreiked, "Nooo!! Don't smell them!! You'll never try them if you smell them first!!" :laugh:

During the low fat craze, we used to joke that we were gonna open our own restaurant and call it "Just the Skinz". Nothing but breaded, deep fried, greasy chicken-y goodness. Hey! That's the side! Sure, you can be good and order their boneless, skinless chicken strips... just get the skin on the side!

Okay... I got it...

KASHA VARNISHKES!

You could call it "The Colonel's Famous Buckwheat and Bowtie Pasta"

Or potato kugel...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

KASHA VARNISHKES!

Jason, Kasha Varnitches is just the beginning ... stay with me here ...

Why not go all the way with the concept of Hebraic sidedishes here? :rolleyes:

Kentucky Fried Kishke?

The Colonel's Kentucky Knaidlach? (extra bouncy or hard centers)

Kentucky Kreplach?

Kentucky Kugel?

Kentucky Knishes?

The Colonel's Cholent?

and, perhaps best of all, Kentucky Fried Kotchka (duck) ... :laugh:

All can be served in individual servings, in styrofoam cups ... why do you think that so many traditional Jewish dishes start with "k"? Madonna's Kentucky Kabbalah?? :blink:

Why do you think that so many traditional Jewish dishes start with "k"?

How about karnatzel, the closest kosher equivalent to - God forgive me - the Slim Jim? Don't ask me why, but from childhood on, my kids have called karnatzelach "smashers" -- and they are now an MD, MBA and a rabbinical student. Maybe it's in the nitrates.

Edited by Rabbi Ribeye (log)

"A worm that lives in a horseradish thinks it's sweet because it's never lived inside an apple." - My Mother

"Don't grow up to be an educated idiot." - My Father

Stuffed Derma. Mmm. Bread crumbs, fat, salt paprika. And it matches the chicken in color. (for the gentiles, there's a pic under the Appetizer heading on this page.

If this doesn't make the Colonel spin in his grave and say "oy!", I don't know what does! Thanks again, Rachel!

You may have a tough time believing this, because of my allegiance to a classical approach to classical Jewish cuisine, but . . .

On my was to stuffing my kishke :rolleyes: I occasionally bind a little of the stuffing with an egg and drop a ball or two :rolleyes: into deep fat, producing quite tasty hush puppies. I of course refer to these as "Sha Huntelach."

Take that, Colonel!

"A worm that lives in a horseradish thinks it's sweet because it's never lived inside an apple." - My Mother

"Don't grow up to be an educated idiot." - My Father

they have both green beans and greens no?

i vote for lima beans!

Don't think KFC is going to shell (no pun intended) out big bucks for lima beans, unless they have, you know, a damned good gimmick .... :rolleyes:

You may have a tough time believing this, because of my allegiance to a classical approach to classical Jewish cuisine, but . . .

On my was to stuffing my kishke :rolleyes: I occasionally bind a little of the stuffing with an egg and drop a ball or two :rolleyes: into deep fat, producing quite tasty hush puppies. I of course refer to these as "Sha Huntelach."

Take that, Colonel!

RR's kishke hush puppies makes me realize what the Colonel is missing from his menu:

Deep fried gefillte fish balls. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs