• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Besan - To roast or not to roast

So when you cook with chickpea flour - do you roast it before you use it? Why? Why not? How do you know when to roast versus not roast?

Comeon and share your expert tips with us

Inquiring minds want to know  :biggrin:

Well, you roast depending on what you are making. Usually for sweets, like Barfi, Laddoo or Halwa, you roast besan and for savoury items like Pakora, Cheela, Dhokla, or parantha you dont.

But roasting besan brings such wonderful flavour in the besan and the entire home...Mmmm..Mmmm..Mmmmm..

Very well roasted Besan halwa is my weakness, Ofcourse, now we make it with Splenda.

Cheers,

Edited by deliad (log)

Very well roasted Besan halwa is my weakness, Ofcourse, now we make it with Splenda.

Care to share your recipe?

Yes this should be worth the wait-- on a new thread please :smile:

Alright, Alright..

On popular public demand I'll do it but after the July 4th weekend.

Cheers,

Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking around for a while but thought I'd send my first post today. I'm finding this forum a GREAT place to read and discuss about food - needless to say, I'm a BIG foodie! :-)

Coming back to the discussion, one savoury dish that comes to my mind which involves roasting besan is sindhi kadhi. I've seen (and copied) a Sindhi friend roasting the besan till it had a more brownish-looking appearance and emitted a pleasant aroma after a couple of mins.

- Monika

Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking around for a while but thought I'd send my first post today. I'm finding this forum a GREAT place to read and discuss about food - needless to say, I'm a BIG foodie! :-)

Coming back to the discussion, one savoury dish that comes to my mind which involves roasting besan is sindhi kadhi. I've seen (and copied) a Sindhi friend roasting the besan till it had a more brownish-looking appearance and emitted a pleasant aroma after a couple of mins.

- Monika

Monika - I would like to welcome you to the India forum. i am delighted that you are here and look forward to hearing more from you. I would love to hear more about your background and where you are located.

Looking forward to more posts from you

Welcome!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's feels good to amongst people who share a similar passion for food. :smile:

A little bit about myself:

I'm basically a Rajasthani born in Calcutta but have spent most of my life in Malaysia/Singapore and later, in Bangkok, Thailand. I'm married to a Malayalee and have a one-and-a-half year old son. We're settled in Helsinki, Finland. I love cooking and love experimenting all kinds of food.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you about my favourite subject! :smile:

-Monika