• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chefs13

The Quintessential eG Kitchen Tips/Trucs

All of my tried and true recipes are printed out and protected with a plastic sleeve and our above the stove microwave is clad in stainless that you can use magnets with (does that mean it isn't really stainless? Not sure).  I just clip one of those magnet/clippy things to the recipe and stick it to the microwave.  Perfect viewing height and out of the way at the same time.

I might have one.  I'm not going back 20 pages to make sure.  Does anyone need to learn the trick to not getting crumbs on your butter after you butter your toast?  If so, I know it.  After you've put butter on your toast, but need more butter, slide the knife into the side of the slice like this:

butter2.jpg.e39b7b2bbf69ed372ec16fea722ea50a.jpg

When you pull it out, it will be virtually crumb-free:

butter.jpg.efa11e5d68b21ea1c0c82230811cc5ab.jpg

Does everyone already know this?  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

All of my tried and true recipes are printed out and protected with a plastic sleeve and our above the stove microwave is clad in stainless that you can use magnets with (does that mean it isn't really stainless? Not sure).  I just clip one of those magnet/clippy things to the recipe and stick it to the microwave.  Perfect viewing height and out of the way at the same time.

I might have one.  I'm not going back 20 pages to make sure.  Does anyone need to learn the trick to not getting crumbs on your butter after you butter your toast?  If so, I know it.  After you've put butter on your toast, but need more butter, slide the knife into the side of the slice like this:

butter2.jpg.e39b7b2bbf69ed372ec16fea722ea50a.jpg

When you pull it out, it will be virtually crumb-free:

butter.jpg.efa11e5d68b21ea1c0c82230811cc5ab.jpg

Does everyone already know this?  

Yes I do.  But thanks anyway.

• Haha 2

I didn't. Although I'm the only one who uses the butter (the kid prefers margarine, the Philistine!), and I have no objection to crumbs in my butter. Still, a handy thing to know.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I didn't. Although I'm the only one who uses the butter (the kid prefers margarine, the Philistine!), and I have no objection to crumbs in my butter. Still, a handy thing to know.

Like folding fitted sheets!

• Like 3

Crumbs in the butter?

Its super easy.

Just lick the knife.......☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Crumbs in the butter?

Its super easy.

Just lick the knife.......☺️

Orcdo what I do — always make sure that you’ve got more than enough butter for each slice of toast that way you don’t have to go back for more. Hard on the waistline but I hate crumbs in my butter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Orcdo what I do — always make sure that you’ve got more than enough butter for each slice of toast that way you don’t have to go back for more. Hard on the waistline but I hate crumbs in my butter. 

I'm with Anna on this one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Like folding fitted sheets!

I had a roommate who could fold fitted sheets into exactly the same size rectangle as the flat sheets.  He also loved to iron and vacuum.  I often regret not marrying him. 

• Haha 8

I always butter the bread before toasting.

dcarch