• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Quintessential eG Kitchen Tips/Trucs

chefs13

10 hours ago, lindag said:

Something I learned here...now I always steam, rather than boil, my hard cooked eggs.

Me too - I use an egg cooker - have been doing since the late 1950s.

Currently I use one from the '60s that holds 8 eggs and last evening I cooked 8 very fresh eggs from my friend who raises "fancy" chickens. He brought the eggs on Sunday, they were laid Saturday.

When the cooker clicked off I plunged the eggs into ice water and cracked them and left them in the ice water for five minutes then the peels just slid off.

I don't have to use a timer, I know exactly how much water to use and the cooker even has a needle in the center to pierce the big ends of the eggs.

I use a lot of boiled eggs, soft or hard and I don't know why everyone doesn't have one of these little appliances that function so well.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been steaming rather than boiling eggs for a very long time too.

I can't remember where I picked up that tip—it's been so long. 

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, andiesenji said:

...pierce the big ends of the eggs.

I use a blood glucose lancet device. Works like a charm! :)

• Confused 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 18/08/2017 at 0:34 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Something I learned in my young married life:  a clove of garlic is not a bulb.

When a recipe calls for a clove, I generally use a bulb. :P

...Unless it's my father's garlic. Then a clove is quite sufficient (often up to 25-30g, or roughly an ounce). 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Speaking of garlic, a very insignificant tip:

For right-handed chefs, when you hold the knife with you left hand to smash garlic, try to have the knife edge  face towards you right hand and smash. Because when you use the knife to scoop up the smashed garlic, you will be using the knife facing the otherway. This way you only have one face of the knife getting garlicky.

Reverse the above if your are a lefty.

dcarch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Speaking of garlic, a very insignificant tip:

For right-handed chefs, when you hold the knife with you left hand to smash garlic, try to have the knife edge  face towards you right hand and smash. Because when you use the knife to scoop up the smashed garlic, you will be using the knife facing the otherway. This way you only have one face of the knife getting garlicky.

Reverse the above if your are a lefty.

dcarch

I am right handed and hold the knife in my right hand when I smash garlic. Why change it to the left hand?

And if my knife gets too "garlicky", I wash it.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I never smash garlic with a knife.  The thought makes me cringe.  If I want smashed garlic I use a pestle.

Smashing the garlic with the knife is to make it easier to peel the skin off, not to make garlic paste. Although there is a nice technique to make paste with a knife.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I am right handed and hold the knife in my right hand when I smash garlic. Why change it to the left hand?

And if my knife gets too "garlicky", I wash it.

As I said, it's a very insignificant tip. I have many other more complicated tips on youtube. Here is one:

For those who use the left hand to hold the knife and the right hand to smash, it make it easier to use the right hand to pick out the skin. Also there is always some small pieces of garlic which will stick to that side of the knife face as you are smashing.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I fear smashing garlic with the side of a knife.

I drop a frozen chicken on it.  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Since I'm the world's most disorganized person and I'm CONSTANTLY misplacing stuff (especially shears/scissors.)

I'm seriously considering obtaining a good pair of stainless steel kitchen shears and mounting them next to the sink—for easy cleaning—on a suitable stainless steel chain so the suckers can't 'go' anywhere! xD

Something else to add to the birthday and Christmas wish lists.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Since I'm the world's most disorganized person and I'm CONSTANTLY misplacing stuff (especially shears/scissors.)

Tip:

Buy three of everything. You increase the chance of finding things 300%.

dcarch:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, dcarch said:

Tip:

Buy three of everything. You increase the chance of finding things 300%.

dcarch:P

Tried that long, long ago!

There are far more than 3 of almost anything around here that's regularly used.

It hasn't helped!!! xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also have a serious issue with kitchen scissors...I have a pair in nearly every kitchen drawer because I use them for so many things these days.  Everything you buy seems to be hermetically sealed and has to be slashed open with a box cutter or shears.

Besides, I have a penchant for kitchen tools of all kinds and have accumulated quite a few over the years.

• Like 1

I think I've mentioned this before somewhere on eG, but I keep a small pair of regular office scissors, bought from my local stationery shop, on a hook above the kitchen counter. They are useful for opening many packets, snipping herbs etc. There is a large pair of kitchen scissors there too, but they don't get half the use the small ones do.

scissors.thumb.jpg.12a46fda0bda895d7c5689de538149f0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My father bought me this pair many years ago, and they've been great. Not well-designed for hanging from a hook, mind you. 

They've helped me shuck many hundreds of pounds of lobster over the years. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

31 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My father bought me this pair many years ago, and they've been great. Not well-designed for hanging from a hook, mind you. 

Beautiful! :)

Lee Valley/Veritas has some great stuff! 

My dad was a big fan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I also have these and love them but I don't consider them all-purpose kitchen shears by any means.  They are great for poultry and for lobster but are not suited to many tasks  where simple kitchen shears shine. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I also have these and love them but I don't consider them all-purpose kitchen shears by any means.  They are great for poultry and for lobster but are not suited to many tasks  where simple kitchen shears shine. 

Oh, agreed. We have a couple pairs of the conventional ones, purchased from Walmart or Dollarama or some similarly downmarket retailer, which get used for things like opening bags and snipping fresh herbs from the backyard beds. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I thought of a couple of things that I do.

Crouching down has become difficult for me. Finding things on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator is  particular challenge. I started using baker's half sheets on the bottom shelf to act ike a poor man's slide-out shelf. They have the added advantage of being easily cleaned if meat juices and the like spill on them.

After a real "Duh!" moment I realized that I could use a measuring cup for the rinse aid for my dishwasher and pour it in without risking overflow. For my machine it's 3 ounces.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have two pairs of scissors in the kitchen - a cheap blue pair from Ikea and a slightly nicer set that came with a magnetic sheath that I have stuck to the side of the fridge. Blue pair are for whatever someone invariably wants to grab scissors from the kitchen for that will get them beat up or dirty, the fridge pair are for things like cutting open packets where they might potentially come in contact with food. Given the wide range of odd things I know the blue ones get used for, I feel better having another set even though in theory they can be cleaned. (In practice I'm not sure even the dishwasher gets into all the nooks and crannies. As I've mentioned my mom lives with us and is immune compromised due to cancer so it's just easier to minimize risk.)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well I think it’s time somebody added a “new” trick here. Not mine by any means. It is courtesy of Martha who is filling my TV screen because the orher things that I can watch are even more stomach-churning than she.

Use a sushi rolling mat when you are trying to make a roll of cookies or crackers to be sliced and baked.  

Edited by Anna N
Extraneous word removed. (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog