• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Must-Eats" Around Houston

SuperLuckyCat

Well I'm up here at the CIA, but I'm a native Houstonian and so whenever I have a break (which really isn't that often) I've gotta go to:

Azuma for their red devil roll, white angel roll, gindara, and japanese ribs (I'm pretty biased though because my first kitchen job was there)

Seoul Garden for some Korean barbeque, bulgogi preferred, but also the seafood pancake and their frickin spicy noodle/seafood jungol.

Star Snow Ice for a Mocha float tapioca.

Pho Danh II in the Hong Kong 4 complex for their pho. No Spring rolls no nothin, just straight up pho and other noodle choices, but it's damn good.

Taquria Cancun for some late night taquria style, their beef platter.

Same for Tan Tan, except I get the rice plate or the thit bao luc lac.

Pappasitos just cause I love that they use their mesquite grilled beef in their beef quesedillas.

I'm sorta split on Cajun food. I'm always a sucker for Pappadeaux's shrimp brochettes (as non cajun as that is) and usually for some decent gumbo I go to Ragin Cajun (though it's not very consistent at times) Ragin Cajun always has good oysters though. Nice and pump.

Though it's an Austin thing, Amy's ice cream for their Mexican Vanilla.

Mi Luna (They won't let me into Solero!) for a really loud place and no parking and good tapas.

I have a whole bunch more. My area is pretty isolated from non-large chain restaurants, but it's always good to be home.

I'm sure I'll post more as your posts spark my imagination.

• 2 weeks later...
Basis this thread, I have to make it to Barbeque Inn. But I will be ordering the Chicken Fried Steak. I haven't had a really good one in a very long time. And I can't believe that I have never been there.

fifi - the Barbeque Inn is one of my favorites. It is like going back in a time warp to those dark, clubby type places of the 70's. The waitresses (I have never seen a waiter) are all old pros and move around that place like nobodys business. I can never resist the chicken fried chicken, but one of these days I am going to have the fried chicken. It takes 20 minutes to cook and I have just been there at lunch where time was an issue. The salads come out chilled with crackers and little pats of butter like you remember. The pies are also wonderful. I asked one time who made them, and I cannot remember the name exactly, but it was something like Ms. Dees pies.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia