• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Ice Cream Fiend

jhlurie

What must be the ULTIMATE ice cream sandwich for crappy ice cream sandwich fans:

http://www.fatboyicecream.com/

Unfortunately, its made in Utah of all places, and I dont think they have East Coast distribution. But you can get six dozen of anything they make for $99 shipped in dry ice.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...

My latest infatuation -- York Peppemint Pattie flavored Klondike bars.

This is the first Klondike flavor which really tastes like what is intended, and not just a basic variation on a Klondike with its artificial vanilla flavor. This REALLY does taste like a York Peppermint Pattie, and it has a VERY strong peppermint flavor. Plus its got dark chocolate coating and not just the regular milk chocolate stuff.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will confess to having a freezer full of novelties as well. I have a second freezer in the basement, and it is well stocked with ice cream treats. Current inventory: klondike regular and crunchy, m+m cones and sandwiches, snickers ice cream bars, hoodsie cups, ice cream sandwiches, fudgescicles, drumsticks regular and caramel, chocolate covered ice cream on a stick, sprinklers, and peanut butter flavored mini popsicles. The stash is for my niece and nephew, who are over every weekend. They like choosing from all of the pictures on the boxes. It's their personal ice cream truck!

• 4 weeks later...

It's 9am, so cold in my office that my fingers hurt, the first storm of the winter is brewing outside and thanks to stumbling across this topic I WANT AN ICE CREAM BAR!!! :laugh:

and y'all made me miss ITS ITS, which I havent' thought about in years.

So no-one has mentioned anything like my favorite novelty popsicle flavor to date: Cucumber with chili pepper! For really hot miserable weather there is nothing to beat it. The cucumber is refreshing & the slight bite of the chili peppers not only tastes great but helps you endure the heat....

Sadly I have no idea of the brand name, but I beleive it was from Mexico, certainly the labeling was in Spanish. I bought it from a guy with a rolling ice-cream cart at a park in northern California (I think his usual customers were the local farm-workers) and have never seen it again since :sad:

Maybe next summer I will just make my own.

In the meantime I need to 1) turn up the heat and 2) see what flavors of ice-cream we have in the freezer for breakfast :laugh:

Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

People!

It is all about Good Humor's Chocolate Candy Crunch.

The components are:

1. Outer chocolate shell with a suspiciously waxy mouth-feel. Mmm, suspiciously waxy!

2. Innocuous vanilla layer.

3. Inner chocolate candy with MORE suspiciously waxy mouth-feel.

Oh man... They sell them in D.C. by the museums and on passing ice-cream trucks. I believe that they are about 350 kCal per stick :shock: but I justify the guilt by sharing them with my sweetie as breakfast before we go to the Sackler.

In a former life I was a Nestlé Ice Cream Sales Rep. Perhaps you'd be interested to know that:

1. Next to Cigarettes and Soft Drinks, Ice Cream novelties are third biggest income generator for a corner store.

2. Value-wise, the Ice Cream Sandwiches (the big square ones...how embarassing I've forgotten the name) give you the most Ice Cream for your money.

3. In order for corner stores to use those Blue Nestle Freezers you see everywhere, they must be ordering (and therefore selling) $2000 in ice Cream per month. I used to be lenient in the winter months but other reps would yank them out.

4. Nestle, for the most part, uses a higher percentage of milk fat in their bars than GH, which is now owned by Procter and Gamble. Ben and Jerry's, who was so staunchly independent, is sadly now owned by P&G too.

5. My own personal favorite is the Rolo bar...but I'm also a fan of something called Chunks O'Fruity. Real Fruit bars from..South Africa I think? Mango, Pineapple, Coconut, Line, Strawberry. Best fruit bar..ever.

I should also point out that I have a thing for ice cream sandwiches, preferably the cheapest ones you can find (usually a store brand).  There's something about the fake vanilla ice cream -  wilted chococlate cookie combo that's very enticing.

YES!!! Love those cheapo ice cream sandwiches with squishy chocolate cookie...

:wub:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

There's a nice article on ITS-IT in the San Francisco Chronicle (6/10/05)

There's nothing quite like the hand-held sweetness of an It's-It: cool vanilla ice cream stuffed between two chewy oatmeal-raisin cookies, then covered in dark chocolate.

The treat is as intimately tied to San Francisco as sourdough bread, as much a part of local lore as Rice-A-Roni. Dating to the 1920s at Playland-at- the-Beach, the frosty wonder represents one of the oldest local institutions this side of Stanford University. It predates the Golden Gate Bridge. It was here before the Giants. Heck, the It's-It even was born before former Mayor Willie Brown.

• 4 weeks later...

Something new offered by Dreyer's/Edy's:

"Dibs - Bite-sized Ice Cream Snacks"

By any other name, you'd call them ice cream bon-bons.

Anyone try them, yet?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Has anybody else tried the Smart Choice ice cream bars? They're like swirly creamsicles, with the "sorbet" swirled throughout the creamy vanilla ice cream. I've tried the orange & raspberry flavours - I like raspberry better. There's a thin coating of ice around the bars, for some reason, but I like that it makes the bar a bit crispy. I was intially wary of these because it's supposed to be low in fat & calories, but the ice cream is really creamy, & IMO, tastes better than Skinny Cow ice cream. You can get them at Costco. I have yet to try the Smart Choice fudge bars, but maybe I'll pick up a box next time I'm at Costco...

I once had a REEEALLY good popsicle that used to be available at the Chinese/Japanese supermarkets here in Vancouver: I think it was a milky popsicle, with red beans interspersed throughout, & when you bit into the top, something like condensed milk flowed out, & underneath that, there were green tea icey pebbles that were intensely flavourful. Or maybe the green tea ice was the main part of the popsicle & there was a layer of milky popsicle around it. :wub:

I also really like Japanese honey popsicles - they're like creamsicles, except that that the popsicle part on the outside is lemon honey flavoured! Sooooo yummy!!

I recently bought milk tea flavoured popsicles (made in Taiwan) at a Chinese supermarket, & was pleasantly surprised - it even had small squares of black tea-flavoured jelly encased inside!

Old discontinued flavor of Ben & Jerry's: Dastardly Mash

It was chocolate ice cream w/ chocolate chunks, nuts and raisins. Maybe some kind of swirl? Kind of like a "Chunky" bar ice cream- miss it terribly...

• 1 month later...

Had 'Dibs' for the first time last week when I took kiddle and her gang out for a reprieve from camp food. Totally worth the corn syrup headache! We had the mint flavor, and mint is not my fave, but these were delicious!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 2 months later...

How about orchid (or "fox testicle" if you will) ice cream? :biggrin:

http://www.salon.com/wlust/feature/1998/11/17feature.html

On the other end of the scale was durian ice cream I got in a Vietnamese place back in Seattle. I actually love durian but wasn't sure about that, probably because it was with artificial durian flavor. A friend told me a riddle once: Q: "What's the difference between shit and durian?" A: You can make ice cream out of the durian.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a new ice cream confection in my local Sheetz convenience store a few months ago, and I decided to take the plunge and try one myself today.

Introducing...F'real Milkshakes. F'real! They come in chocolate, strawberry or vanilla. Open the freezer, remove your flavor choice cup, and pry off the foil lid. Stick it in the metal cup on the blender unit. Select your thickness preference (extra thick, regular thickness, or less thick). I chose chocolate flavor and regular thickness, figuring I had no perspective on the relative thickness of each option.

The metal cup raises your plastic cup into the blender unit, and a blender churns the contents to your selected thickness. The metal cup automatically lowers when the drink is blended and you can stick on a lid and a straw, and then you're good to go.

I think it cost about $2 (I was buying some other stuff while I was there, so I'm not entirely sure). It wasn't bad but wasn't all that great either. Ingredients include:

Ice cream (Milk, cream, buttermilk, sugar, corn syrup, nonfat dry milk, cocoa, cocoa processed with alkali, whey, whey protein concentrate, cellulose gum, maltodextrin, carrageenan, dextrose), Milk.

The gums and whatnot are definitely detectable in the finished product, and the cocoa is of cheap quality as I expected it would be. It's still about as good as a fast-food milkshake from a place that doesn't hand-make them though. Not bad if you're dying for a shake and there's no Baskin-Robbins or independent ice creamery around.

• 6 months later...

I love those Oreo ice bream sandwiches.

Two big Oreo's stuffed with Oreo ice cream- just like plain ice cream sandwiches I think they are better if you get a box that has been around for a while-then the Oreo's get nice and soft.

Also good are the new Ben & Jerry's cones. The Cookie Dough flavor has been popular at my house.

But the most decadent of the new bars out this year would have to be the Godiva bars. They have a bar that is the Belgium chocolate ice cream covered in a rich milk chocolate REALLY good.

I discovered a local grocery store carried the ITS-IT ice cream sandwiches. I confess I just can't get past the use of oatmeal cookies. :sad: As for the chocolate coating, I think it's too...insubstantial would be a good word. Eskimo Pies have a much better chocolate coating (but no cookie) and the to-die-for Dove bars have raised the bar (no pun intended) as far as chocolate coatings are concerned...a coating so well done that you end up not giving a flying fig that there's no cookie involved (to be doubly negative).

I guess I'm too used to the Nestle's TollHouse Cookie Ice Cream sandwiches (a horrible picture).

I also grew up with Chipwiches which are far better than the Nestle's version since the Chipwiches are rolled in chocolate chips along their sides.

Oh well, at least now I can say I've tried the ITS-IT.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Something new to my area:

gallery_9387_874_24356.jpg

Ben & Jerry's "The Cone" - Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor. They also had Cherry Garcia cones.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend them.

They're supposed to come with "fudge chips" on top of the cones. Out of the three in the box, only one had fudge chips resembling the picture on the box cover. The second cone had absolutely no fudge chips on top and the third had just a sparse sprinkling. Which is too bad because the fudge chips were quite good having almost a dark chocolate flavor.

The vanilla ice cream was good, the waffle cone was good even though I found it to be more chewy than crsipy. But the "swirl" of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough was pretty bad. Instead of clumps of cookie dough like you get in most Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, it was just a soft dry texture with no chew to it at all. It did have the usual chocolate chip cookie dough flavor but the mouth feel was quite lacking.

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...
Had 'Dibs' for the first time last week when I took kiddle and her gang out for a reprieve from camp food. Totally worth the corn syrup headache! We had the mint flavor, and mint is not my fave, but these were delicious!

Yep. These are gonna be my killer this summer and I only discovered them yesterday. Smaller than bon bons, bigger than Dippin Dots. Poppable and delicious. I bought the Nestle's Crunch and Caramel flavor yesterday. hubby and i went wild for the Nestle's Crunch, the Caramel not so much, i hate fake caramel flavor. Today i bought the toffee almond flavor and that's my favorite so far.

I wanted to try the mint because i love mint ice cream, but the color turned me off.

• 10 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an ancient discussion but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this article:

"Twinkies ice cream has arrived on a planet that might not be ready for it"

...limited edition Twinkies and Sno Ball ice cream [seen on] Jan. 23... the cold stuff will be sold for a limited time from February through May 2017 at Dollar General and other convenience stores. 

Further down in the brief article it mentions that Hostess Cupcake ice cream is rumored to be coming soon, as well. 

Has anyone spotted these new flavors yet?

Tim Oliver

• 6 months later...

Our favorite ice cream was always Starbucks coffee ice cream.  Don't know if it 's still available since there's none near where I live.

I was  able to buy it everywhere I used to live, even Costco.