• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Ice Cream Fiend

jhlurie

I am a popsicle biter. I am a candy biter.

Licker or biter? Which one are you? :hmmm:  :wink:  :laugh:

Most definitely a licker rather than a biter, Brooks!

Nice stash of ice cream, Jason, very complete inventory! :biggrin:

Yes, we've dedicated an entire bin to it, and to the left you can see the White Castle Bin.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yes, we've dedicated an entire bin to it, and to the left you can see the White Castle Bin.

Nice to see how carefully you separate your meat and dairy foodstuffs, Rabbi Perlow!

What no frozen King Yum leftovers?? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I love generic ice cream sandwiches.

Has anyone tried those snickers cones? I don't even like snikers bars (the chocolate is too sweet for me, the caramel makes my teeth ache) but with the cones -- salty caramel & peanuts, hard chocolate drizzle and vanilla ice cream -- ohhhh.

I think I need to make a convenience store run now...

By the way, I've been trying to find those (flavor pops?) popsicles that come as flourescent "fruity" liquid in sectioned bags that you stick in the freezer, whatever they're called. They're not a regional thing, are they?

doh. i meant bomb-pop not astro-pop in my original post. astropops are the candy, right?

We always called them rocket pops :wacko:

Licker or biter? Which one are you?

MM, while someday I hope our paths cross, popsicles better not be involved. I am so sensitive to other people biting into popsicles that just reading your post caused goosebumps to shoot up my arm and my lips to involuntarily turn inward like an old man without his teeth.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

doh.  i meant bomb-pop not astro-pop in my original post.  astropops are the candy, right?

MM, while someday I hope our paths cross, popsicles better not be involved. I am so sensitive to other people biting into popsicles that just reading your post caused goosebumps to shoot up my arm and my lips to involuntarily turn inward like an old man without his teeth.

It takes all kinds and I, well adjusted redneck that I am, realize that there is a place in this world for the lickers and the biters. I hope that someday you too can find the peace and joy that I have found in this little bit of wisdom. :wink:

I am currently enjoying an "Hulk" Popsicle from the Marvel Heroes Popsicle Line. I highly reccomend them. They look like Small Bombpops and have some interesting flavor combos.

I bit the Hulk.

He screamed like a little girl.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

doh.  i meant bomb-pop not astro-pop in my original post.   astropops are the candy, right?

It takes all kinds and I, well adjusted redneck that I am, realize that there is a place in this world for the lickers and the biters. I hope that someday you too can find the peace and joy that I have found in this little bit of wisdom. :wink:

I am currently enjoying an "Hulk" Popsicle from the Marvel Heroes Popsicle Line. I highly reccomend them. They look like Small Bombpops and have some interesting flavor combos.

I bit the Hulk.

He screamed like a little girl.

Involuntary spasms are rocking my lips, neck and shoulder.

I am such a girl. You'd think that I, the well adujsted, former inner city child would take the popsicle from your inner redneck, but I am just too damn sensitive. :cool:

Bet your tounge looked cool though. Good shade of green

By the way, I've been trying to find those (flavor pops?) popsicles that come as flourescent "fruity" liquid in sectioned bags that you stick in the freezer, whatever they're called. They're not a regional thing, are they?

I doubt they're regional, but they also don't appear in the freezer aisle, since they aren't frozen when you buy them. I think I recall seeing them in the aisle with the non-refridgerated juices, like near the juice boxes. Either there or check the snack aisle. Good luck.

Here in the DC area you can buy them in liquid and frozen form. I have about a dozen a summer at work. They are cheap, cold and flourecent making it a perfect summer school food. :biggrin:

Do you mean Otter Pops? I vaguely remember these. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen these in a while.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Don't forget orange popsicles with "vanilla ice cream like" goo in the middle.

Mmmmm... Creamsicles... at least that's what we call them up here in Canada. They also have purple (and maybe red) Creamsicles with what can be construed as a vanilla-ice-cream like substance in the middle, but orange is definitely the best. That's why I love those Campino candies that taste like orange Creamsicles. The strawberry flavour doesn't even hold a candle to it.

And here here for ice-cream sandwiches, both the insipid old-fashioned ones with chocolate cookies and the Chips Ahoy variety. Gotta eat 'em fast though and keep them in the wrapper, or else they come oozing out all over your lap in the last couple of bites.

Licker or biter? I'm still mortified when my Mom bites her ice cream cones, but I'm definitely a biter when it comes to popsicles. But I can't bite with both upper and lower teeth; I push the popsicle against my upper teeth with my tongue and take a bite. It gives me the absolute heebie-geebies to see someone chomp on a popsicle with their upper and lower teeth... my palms are sweating just thinking about it. :blink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Do you mean Otter Pops? I vaguely remember these. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen these in a while.

There are a few different brands, of which Otter Pops are the undisputed champion. Six zippy flavors: all are exemplary (especially Little Orphan Orange and the inexplicable Louie Blue Raspberry- why blue?) Except, that is, for the foul chemical burn of Pancho Punch.

Summer 1990: I must have consumed my weight in Otter Pops.

Welcome, fellow addict.

I won't post pictures, because it is far too embarassing... But I have now stocked our winery freezer with novelty ice cream treats.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

i9021.jpg

Here you go.... a whole freezer devoted to ice cream (and a bit of ice):

i9058.jpg

Now you have to show me yours!

p.s. - Please note the WHOLE BOX of It's-It!!!

I am very, very envious of your IT'S-IT cache. Our full range of Klondikes currently in the freezer (Klondike, Chocolate Klondike, Dark Chocolate Klondike, Klondike Crunch, Klondike Heath, Neapolitan Klondike and Klondike Hershey with Almond) does not even compare.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I am very, very envious of your IT'S-IT cache. Our full range of Klondikes currently in the freezer (Klondike, Chocolate Klondike, Dark Chocolate Klondike, Klondike Crunch, Klondike Heath, Neapolitan Klondike and Klondike Hershey with Almond) does not even compare.

You people, really! This is rapidly becoming the icebox Iditarod of polar popsicle envy! :laugh:

The Glacial Gourmet

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Success! They were in the novelty ice cream toppings section of the supermarket I was at today. Funny, that's where I looked in the supermarket near my house. Maybe those guys keep 'em near the juice boxes, will check next time I'm there.

You know, I didn't realize what otter pops were until I saw the packaging. In my old neighborhood inner city supermarket, they would stack the flavor pops near the door as soon as june rolled around -- so I'd never had to look for them before, or comparison shop. Obviously the otter pops packaging wins that contest. I need the CD.

No, but you've got Luigi's Italian Ice... The closest thing I can get are those Dole fruit pop things and it doesn't even come close.

You people, really! This is rapidly becoming the icebox Iditarod of polar popsicle envy! :laugh:

The Glacial Gourmet

And your point is????

:raz:<tongue out for licking!>

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Don't forget orange popsicles with "vanilla ice cream like" goo in the middle.

Mmmmm... Creamsicles... at least that's what we call them up here in Canada. They also have purple (and maybe red) Creamsicles with what can be construed as a vanilla-ice-cream like substance in the middle, but orange is definitely the best.

I read this just as I was about to post a comment that I thought they were called Dreamsicles! Googled and discovered that there were (are?) both Creamsicles and Dreamsicles, with a slight difference.

The Straight Dope (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_356a.html) has this to say:

Dear Cecil:

OK, Popsicles and Fudgesicles I understand. So what's the difference between a Creamsicle and a Dreamsicle? --C.S., Chicago

The sherbet-like shell of the Creamsicle is identical to that of the Dreamsicle, but the payoff inside is ice cream in the former, ice milk in the latter. The difference in price, last time I checked, was about a nickel.

--CECIL ADAMS

EEK, I hit post instead of preview. I see I don't really know how to put a quote in a box around another quote. Sorry.

Edited by SmrtAss (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

With respect... YOU SUCK! :biggrin:

Man, a box of those would be gone in like... a day... in my freezer though.

As for the Luigi's... even better I can walk about a block and get REAL ices from a local Pizza place, although for store bought I really have to give props to Philly Swirl, which supposedly is in all Costco and Walmart Superstores... so that's nearly everywhere if you are willing to drive.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

With respect... YOU SUCK! :biggrin:

Man, a box of those would be gone in like... a day... in my freezer though.

As for the Luigi's... even better I can walk about a block and get REAL ices from a local Pizza place, although for store bought I really have to give props to Philly Swirl.

I haven't tried these yet. Which flavors do you like? From the web site, these guys seem to be very sensitive to dairy intolerance and cholesterol issues.

They are multipacked in multiple, not single flavors, like Luigi's. They are all pretty damn good.

Actually, the flavors seem to change occasionally--something I didn't know 'till I just looked at the website. The "cups" used to be the same flavors as the Original "Stix" mix of pops, but now they have other Stix flavors as well (Fruit & Cream assortment and "Phudge and Cream" assortment--all new to me), and the cups seem to have changed slightly too.

I haven't tried these yet. Which flavors do you like? From the web site, these guys seem to be very sensitive to dairy intolerance and cholesterol issues.

Pretty easy when you selll ices. :smile: Then again, the Atkins crowd likely hates them.

The texture is a bit "creamier" than most ices (especially Luigi's), although I'm sure that breaks down a bit if they get melted and refrozen.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

EEK, I hit post instead of preview. I see I don't really know how to put a quote in a box around another quote. Sorry.

First, if you like the orange things with the vanilla goo in the middle-listen up! Winn Dixie Store Brand "Orange Things with the Vanilla Goo in the Middle" confections are excellent. At least as good as Dreamsicles. I really like the way the orange part is kind of thin and crunchy (once again, I bite :laugh::raz: ) and you get a nice mix of flavors with every toothy grab.

Now, for the quote thing.

See that box on the top-right of every post. Click it.

Then go through and delete everything not needed. THe remaining items will be in quotes with a time stamp and a name.

Simple, no?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...