• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Ice Cream Fiend

jhlurie

4 hours ago, cakewalk said:

I was out walking my dog around the neighborhood and came across this Good Humor truck. Boy did that set off waves of nostalgia.

Good Humor.jpg

I grew up out in the country, where ice cream trucks never ventured.  During summer weeks when I visited my grandparents in Fresno, the ice cream truck with its cheerful music-box tune was a siren call.  Sometimes - not every day! - we'd get to indulge.  Yes, that's a fine memory.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

... the ice cream truck with its cheerful music-box tune was a siren call. 

I think there must be a big age difference between us. We had no music-box tune. These trucks had bells! The driver (aka the ice cream man) would pull a string, and the bells would jingle. We could hear him coming down the block. Not sure if you can see the bells at the top middle of the windshield. The still work! (Although I think these bells are replacements.) It was all very low-tech. But oh how we loved it. Loved the ice cream, too, although I'm not so sure how I'd feel about eating Good Humor these days.

Good Humor8.jpg

No ice cream truck where I live. Kids in town can walk to the dairy or convenience store to buy their ice cream novelties.

The last truck I saw with bells on it was during the spring we lived in Belgium on sabbatical. It didn't sell ice cream. It sold soup!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

When I lived in Hot Springs, on the lake, there was an ice cream boat; a party barge fitted out with freezers. It would make the rounds of popular gathering spots in coves, etc., and would even come to private docks if summoned. I thought that was sheer brilliance. Always figured if I could get a license for a frozen dacquiri and margarita boat, I could make a killing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Interesting, all this ice cream truck stuff. We also had candy stores and grocery stores right on the block or across the street, and they sold ice cream. Yet we all waited for that Good Humor truck. There was a competing truck, Bungalow Bar. I remember the poor old man who drove it around, we would taunt him mercilessly. It was Good Humor or nothing.

I love the idea of that ice cream boat floating around.

When I was a child, living in East Detroit, the ice cream truck (complete with the bells) came around our neighborhood in summer.  Ice cream treats then were .07 cents.  What are they today?

3 hours ago, lindag said:

When I was a child, living in East Detroit, the ice cream truck (complete with the bells) came around our neighborhood in summer.  Ice cream treats then were .07 cents.  What are they today?

Popsicles were a buck and a half a throw when I bought them for the grandkids at the park a month ago. Point of interest -- popsicles work well during a break from playing on the splash pad; then you can send them back out there to get themselves rinsed off!

ETA: Ice cream treats were higher; I think sandwiches were $2.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 1/25/2017 at 5:41 PM, Toliver said:

Sorry to resurrect an ancient discussion but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this article:

"Twinkies ice cream has arrived on a planet that might not be ready for it"

Further down in the brief article it mentions that Hostess Cupcake ice cream is rumored to be coming soon, as well. 

Has anyone spotted these new flavors yet?

I have seen the SnoBalls, not sure if I've seen the Twinkies, at both HEB and Walmart in Houston.  Displayed alongside Dreyer's; cartons are the same shape and size and price so I suspect Dreyer's/Edy's is producing the brand.  Never was a Hostess fan; mother loved to bake so we always had home-made pies, cookies, cakes, etc., and home-made ice cream regularly in the summertime.  I'd buy an individual portion out of curiosity but I don't want a whole carton to have to finish off.

• Like 1

I bought Ben & Jerry's pint slices (little box of 3 was on sale $2.88), got the peanut butter cup version which is vanilla ice cream with mini peanut butter cups coated in chocolate. Think of a Klondike bar with better ice cream. Each one is 300 calories, I did find that (after eating a whole one first) that I was satisfied with cutting one in half since the ice cream is pretty rich. I like the concept, but still think I prefer a pint since I can choose how much I want to eat.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 years later...

An update on the ice cream:

"Eskimo Pie to become Edy's Pie: Rebranded ice cream bars expected to arrive in early 2021"

Eskimo Pie, America's first chocolate-covered ice cream bar, is the latest to get a new name and image.

More than three months after Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream announced it would rebrand the ice cream that has featured an "Eskimo" character on the box, the company has revealed the new name will be Edy's Pie.

In rapid succession back in mid-June, several companies announced they would retire racial imagery from their branding from Aunt Jemima to Mrs. Butterworth's in the wake of renewed calls for racial equality.

• Sad 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

Local company that is becoming regionally known.  Nightingale Ice Cream is available through many outlets here and delivered anywhere through Goldbelly.  My sister (in Northern VA) has found it at her local Walmart and and Exxon station (!!!).  Delicious, creamy ice cream and inventive flavors.  I had the strawberry shortcake last month:

1-IMG_9942.thumb.jpg.c36fe5a07ee29b3d8d77d90ce78180bb.jpg

and Mr. Kim and I shared the salted caramel and the chocolate blackout Saturday:

1-IMG_0168.thumb.jpg.e4fb614e8db6f264baf85a0dcc33761d.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1