• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starbucks: the new Coca Cola?

Gifted Gourmet

Is this something new??

SEATTLE -- About eight years ago, executives of Starbucks Corp. set what seemed an unreachable goal: to become as well-known as Coca-Cola -- the best-known consumer brand of them all -- within a few decades....

Now, with some saying the advantages of expansion are almost played out, the coffee giant has a new plan: to leverage its hip image by offering its upscale clients other products and services.

Starbucks chain hopes to broaden its 'concierge services,' including music, wireless, movie sales ... does this seem to be a smart move business wise?

Are you interested in this extra amount of service or just enjoy their coffees? :rolleyes:

Or is this more of "you gotta have a gimmick if you want to get applause"? Gypsy revisited ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

"Cultural concierge," I love it!

Thanks for a great example of how life imitates satire.

My pleasure to find this and share it with a truly knowledgeable group of eGulleteers who can fully understand the ramifications .... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A few years ago, the company launched a concept called Circadia in Seattle and California's San Francisco Bay area. The restaurants had a coffeehouse feel with a full-service restaurant menu, but they didn't catch on.

I guess people didn't like the dark-roast food.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science