• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats in Vienna, Prague, and Budapest

I've gone through every post on those cities and it seems that most of the recommended restaurants are much more expensive than I can afford. I'm looking for places around US$10 or less per person, not including beverages or dessert. So far, I only know of Natschmarkt (I know that isn't spelled correctly) in Vienna. But what about other places? I'd like to eat at places which serve food representative of that area (Austrian food in Vienna, etc.) but am open to anything. Any suggestions out there?

I've gone through every post on those cities and it seems that most of the recommended restaurants are much more expensive than I can afford.  I'm looking for places around US$10 or less per person, not including beverages or dessert.  So far, I only know of Natschmarkt (I know that isn't spelled correctly) in Vienna.  But what about other places?  I'd like to eat at places which serve food representative of that area (Austrian food in Vienna, etc.) but am open to anything.  Any suggestions out there?

At $10 or less, choice is somewhat, err - limited.

In Vienna city, I'd recommend the "Reinthalers" in the "Gluckgasse" near the opera/Hotel Sacher. Menu between 5 and 10 Euros, so you could just get away.

A must in summertime is a trip to the Prater (Riesenrad aka "Giant Wheel"?), and to the "Schweizerhaus". Draft Budweiser (of Budvar) and roasted knuckles. They are really big, so one can be enough for three people. They can accomodate about 3000 people. From students to billionaires, everyone goes there from time to time.

Heurigen tends to be expensive, but a bit east of Airport "Schwechat", you'll find villages like "Fischamend", "Mariaelend", etc (It's a bit noisy though right under the landing jets, buf after visiting more than 100 Heurigen in my life, I'd say that's the place where the real Heurigen still exist. Every wine-grower of the village (it's a famous region for Austrian reds, called the "Carnuntum") has his Heurigen for a limited period during the year (usually two weeks, called "ausgsteckt") and it's so dirt cheap that on Saturday evening, the whole village is dining out there. Can't remember of having ever seen a tourist there except me. I learned that by Austrian "fressers" Sometimes, the have divine roasted baby pork for 5 Euros. After several visits, I'd never go back to Grinzing.

Another very nice, even beautiful Heurigen ist the "Wieninger" (a famous wine grower) in "Stammersdorf". You can reach that place by streetcar. Cut down on food a bit. Normally, food is rather expensive at the Heurigens for what it is, but it's self service, so it' up to you. In earlier time, the Viennes took along their own food. I think it's still allowed (by Heurigen law), but it's very unusual nowadays, I believe. I wouldn't try it being a foreigner.

Edited for wrong address (Reinthalers)

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Some more tips:

The ultimative guide is Falter Verlag: Wien wie es isst. Some 4000 entries. Knowledge in German language required, though.

My favourite, typical Vienna traditional restaurant with some simple dishes (6 Euro) is "Zur Stadt Krems" in the "Zieglergasse 37" in the 7th Bezirk (district). Don't let you intimidate by the waiter. He is as grumpy and abusive as a real Viennese "Ober" has to be.

Dont' miss "Tramezzinis" (tiny sandwiches) at Trzesniewski in the "Dorotheergasse 1", 1st district . It's a true Viennese institution. During the whole day, all kind of people stop there to eat 2-4 of those and to sip a tiny 3 oz beer.

For "Kaffeehaus" (not exactly the same as Starbucks), my favourite is the Bräunerhof, "Stallburggasse 2", 1st district. Just beautiful, simple interior. Sit down, order your coffee and read some newpapers for an hour. Fun to watch the regular customers pour in, taking place at "their" tables and how the "Ober" serve without an order.

Visiting the "Naschmarkt" (~"sweet tooth market", literally translated) is mandatory for foodies visiting Vienna. If tired of Austrian food, try sushi in "Kojiro Fishshop", "Rechte Wienzeile 9" at Karlsplatz-side of the market.

With ~6 (six!) square meters, it can be pretty crowded. Rather cheap, and many say wihtout any doubt the best sushi in Vienna. Open only until 6 in the evening, and the last half hour they crank out expensive take-away sushis for many Japanese companies. The crew are the same three Japanese for years.

I love that they have French "Freedom" Fries on the menu.

It's mis-translated. It's German "Kartoffelpuffer" (Fryied small pies of grated potatoes). Due to this error, they loose a lot of $ revenue, I fear. :biggrin:

Ask for "Rohscheiben" for take away! Freshly made potato chips! Completely different from industrial ones.

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I'll go home and dig out my Prague travel materials from last October - I remember a very good, relatively cheap Thai meal, and a cheap but hearty vegetarian pay-by-the-weight meal - my attempts to find good inexpensive Czech food wasn't quite as successful, but I only had a brief time there.

I'll go home and dig out my Prague travel materials from last October - I remember a very good, relatively cheap Thai meal, and a cheap but hearty vegetarian pay-by-the-weight meal - my attempts to find good inexpensive Czech food wasn't quite as successful, but I only had a brief time there.

Any help would be appreciated! So far, the best reference I've found for Prague has been the Prague Post site. But I still like to hear tried and true recommendations from others. It's better to have too many good places than too few!

It's mis-translated. It's German "Kartoffelpuffer" (Fryied small pies of grated potatoes). Due to this error, they loose a lot of $ revenue, I fear. :biggrin:

Ask for "Rohscheiben" for take away! Freshly made potato chips! Completely different from industrial ones.

Fried pies of grated potatoes!! Yum! That sounds like something I need to eat (my motto is: anything fried is good). And fresh potato chips? I'll be in heaven if I can get some of those! Thanks for the additional recommendations! Just 22 more days and counting...I can't wait to eat all that good food!

Happen to have my copy of the Knopf Prague guidebook which I used on my trip last fall:

Many cafes, especially around Charles Square may work for you ...

U Kalicha

U Fleku

Cafe Svet

Cafe Color Tower Praha

Slavia

Cafe Milena

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

oops - better make me a postit for the Prague materials - where are you located physically now - I might be able to mail you the guidebook and some maps I used....

I'm in Japan. I have a few things from the Czech Tourism Agency--a map of Prague and brochures on Historical Monuments and Culture, as well as Transport. I haven't gone through them, yet. I'm willing to pay for postage if you're willing to send stuff!

Happen to have my copy of the Knopf Prague guidebook which I used on my trip last fall:

Many cafes, especially around Charles Square may work for you ...

U Kalicha

U Fleku

Cafe Svet

Cafe Color Tower Praha

Slavia

Cafe Milena

Yay! More places for my list! My guidebook has a list of places, but no reviews really so it's difficult for me to tell which places are good and which aren't. I just want to eat good food!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Vienna a week ago, and Prague a week before that. Unless you want to eat sushi or fine French cuisine in a bistro filled with nouveau super-riche Russian mafia, remember that these local cuisines are not all that complicated (read: STODGE) and if you are willing to seek simple surroundings, not all that pricey.

In Prague, simply get out of the center of town and the prices drop 60%. Hop on a metro and sit on the train for ten minutes and take your chances. The same goes for Vienna. I used to think Vienna was a poisonously expensive place to eat, but then I discovered the outer istricts. And then, after realizing that meat and potatoes at 7 Euros was a bit boring, I eat mostly turkish kebabs there when I am in town. Last week, I went with my girlfriend to a Turkish place near the Westbanhof, the waiter had trouble speaking German, just like me, so I ordered using my abominable "annual trip to Turkey" Turkish.... well, three of us ate a fine turkish meal - not a take out sandwich - at a table (soup, adanas kebab special plate, and beer) for 11 Euro. Total. They didn't charge us for beer and laughed when I pointed this out on the bill. Moral: learn bad Turkish and speak it in emmigrant Turkish communities. It works.

For Budapest: simply don't eat downtown. The food is not better, simply more expensive, and if you don't know what good Magyar food is, it ain't found downtown. Look for "etkezde" (lunch places that close after lunch) for home cooking. Kadar Etkezde at Klauzal ter - go there day after day and eat lunch. Eat the stews sold for the workers at outdoor markets - best bean soups you can get. Szena ter is not bad, the Lehel ter market has a great cheap traditional old style self-service near the metro exit. The food stands at the Teleki ter vegetable market are the last place on earth where you can get roast piglet or goose with red cabbage and taters for under two Euros.

Personally, I hit the chinese food at the huge outdoor "chinese markets" in the 8th district or on Beke utca - amazing real Vietnamese or northern Chinese (including Hui muslim chinese) lunch places for the Chinese who work the markets, usually 500 Forints a plate (2 Euro) and you simply tell them to pile whatever you want on the plate, it's all you can eat for 2 Euro. Hygene is Market style, though... doesn't bother me...