• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the best andouille?

I've given up trying to find decent andouille sausage here in Kansas City, and am ready to buy some via mail order.

One review I've read puts Prudhomme's regular smoked andouille as the best. Are there any other opinions out there that differ? I need a brand that is available online, so Cousin Beaurigard's down at the corner grocery store/laundromat won't help.

What brand and on web site is it available?

Greg

I usually use Richard's andouille, but have also had good success with Savoie's and Poche's. I couldn't find an online vendor for Richard's, but you can get Savoie's and Poche's at the following sites, respectively:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/ekart/catalog.a...ategory&cid=136

http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/andouille.htm).

Happy cooking!

ETA: I did find the Richard's Cajun Foods website, but the products page shows up empty when I try to load it. Their phone number is listed, though, so I'd give them a call if you're interested in their products. Good stuff. http://www.richardscajunfoods.com/index.html

Edited by SmrtAss (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I hate to be repetitive - but here it goes. It is not the best (of that I'm quite sure) - but I use Sausages By Amy Chicken Andouille Sausage which I buy in Costco (you can also buy it through the Williams Sonoma catalogue but it costs a heck of a lot more there). It's relatively low in the bad stuff (fat, salt, etc.) - and it's relatively easy to get if you live in a place where andouille sausage is unavailable or the stuff you can find is just plain nasty. Robyn

My local super-grocer (Wegman's) now carries a decent assortment of specialty meats from D'Artagnan, the Hudson Vallely foie gras folks. I haven't bothered trying their chorizo or linguica, as there's already a good and much cheaper brand stocked elsewhere locally that is made by Portuguese folks from the New Haven area. They do have an Andouille sausage. Curious to know if anyone here has tried the D'Artagnan product.

I'll second on the Poche's andouille and other meat products. They're great.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've given up trying to find decent andouille sausage here in Kansas City, and am ready to buy some via mail order.

Have you tried Krizman's in KCK? For the price it is some of the best andoullie I've found. Their Kobasa is the best!

RM