• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transilvanian Peasant Bread Comes To Vancouver!

Sam Salmon

There's been some mention of this unique product here but as a bread lover I think this operation deserves it's own thread.

Yesterday I stopped by Transilvania (sic) Peasant Bread in the 3400 block W. Broadway and picked up one of most outstanding bread products in the city. :wub:

A tiny bakery offering only one kind of bread done in a wood-burning oven this bread is delicious and hearty-to say the least.

The wood heat somehow converts ordinary ingredients to the nutty rich and complex flavours not found in any other bread I've tasted in the city.

The reference to mighty loaf isn't hyperbole-it's rich dark and heavy bread and a loaf must weigh 2 pounds if it's a gram.Rolls are also sold for those wanting a taste before committing to a serious relationship over a number of days :rolleyes:

My only regret is that my late Uncle Mike isn't here to share it with me-he was an ethnic Ukrainian born in Transylvania and no doubt ate and thrived on a similar bread in his youth.

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)

Good tip - I had some for lunch today and it was great. Warm in the center, hard crust on the oustide (you could probably drop it from twenty stories and it would stay intact, still soft and moist on the inside).

I have to say that the store itself, and the owner (?), is worth the cost of bread on its own. It's got an atmosphere without actually trying to have one.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the heads up Sam!

Saw for myself....one & only one type of bread for sale. Stopped in today & bought a 1/2 (?) loaf....must weigh at least 1 lb. The shop, right from the outside to the inside, is a step back to the 60's, reminds me of Naam.

I was in about 4:00 pm, & after my purchase, one lonely loaf was left for sale. Had it for dinner tonight with a homemade Minestrone Soup...delicious!!!

What is the bread made from? Rye or Wheat? Does it have the addition of molasses?

I should have asked, shouldn't I have? Next time, I promise.

From what I could tell it was wheat & I didn't notice molasses...certainly wasn't very sweet.

Edited by jayhay (log)

• 1 year later...

Has anyone seen the Transylvania Bakery on CityTV's Breakfast Television last week? I've missed it, but heard it was very interesting. I have not had the time to drop by and talk to the owner lately. As one of their biggest fans, I would appreciate some more details. Isn't it great that local TV station are finally catching on to the exciting artisan bread scene in Vancouver?

the exciting artisan bread scene in Vancouver?

serious?

edited to abide

It is an exciting scene (I can't go back now on what I said!); you just have to take the time to explore it. I know of at least five or six truly artisan bakeries in the Lower Mainland.

the exciting artisan bread scene in Vancouver?

serious?

edited to abide

It is an exciting scene (I can't go back now on what I said!); you just have to take the time to explore it. I know of at least five or six truly artisan bakeries in the Lower Mainland.

Ornivea... I think that 3WC may just be a tad biased about bread (no offence to you there Drew).

We've had this whole discussion many a time.... here for example.

Please don't take this the wrong way... but...... there are those who feel that Vancouver has yet to really crack the crust on the artisan bread market. :unsure:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 2 months later...

Just a little piece of trivia I picked up from Transilvania's brochure. Their large Peasant Bread loaves were used as props in a scene from the just released Scary Movie 4. Apparently, the bakery was not chosen for its name, but for the rustic look of the loaves.

• 3 months later...

I have had such a wonderful response to the article about Transilvania Peasant Bread in the Bakers Journal! I have been answering phone calls all summer and trying my best to reply to the sudden explosion of interest in artisan bread. If you haven't read the article yet, visit Baking with Focus at the Bakers Journal website.

I've driven by many times as I live in the neighbourhood and have even stopped by the cute little cafe "Olive & Coco" (if I recall) for lunch -- grrreat little shop for a panini, latte and treat.

Two days ago, I decided to stop having stumbled upon this forum. Bought myself a loaf of Peasant Bread, 2 lbs, still warm, $5. As the Parisians do, ripped off a chunk and nibbled on my way home trying not to leave a trail.

Chewy, dense, luscious centre. Needs to be eaten fresh. I managed to make my way through half a loaf in two days (with some help) but the rest was turned into croutons for my dinner salad.