• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Izze

Schneier

What's an Izze?

It's carbonated fruit juice and water.

It comes in six flavors: lemon, pear, clementine, grapefruit, blueberry, and blackberry.

It has no added sugar. No high fructose corn syrup. No artificial anything.

My favorite flavor is blackberry, although blueberry is pretty close. Grapefruit is delicious. Pear is okay...clementine is better. The lemon is delicious, but I much prefer the more interesting flavors.

It's the best thing to happen to soft drinks in years.

And it's slowly creeping across the nation.

I first discvered Izzes in Ann Arbor. Then I heard about them in Chicago. And now they're in Minneapolis.

There's only one problem with Izzes, and it's a big one. They cost $5 for a four-pack.

Bruce

Edited by Schneier (log)

If you're looking for the drink, it's called Izze; IzzeWebsite. It was developed in Boulder, Colorado, by two friends looking to enter the "new age beverage market." One of the two is 5th generation Stroh's beverage family. Test marketing began in Boulder/Denver in 2002. Click on "news" on their home page for some press releases and information about the company; the article "IZZE a natural choice in Boulder, Denver areas - Boulder Daily Camera 8/12/02" at the bottom tells the beginnings of the story.

They're a "do good" company, working with boulder schools, and more.

Edited by afoodnut (log)

• 3 weeks later...

The blackberry is my favorite too. I first tried them during the Denver Moonlight Classic bicycle ride (they were giving out free samples). I am now seeing Izze pop up in cocktails in the Boulder area (Jax, Rhumba), and the Boulder Farmer's Market has an ice cream vendor that sells an Izze Fizzy. Starbucks has a national distribution deal with them, so it was nice to be in California and Oklahoma recently and be able to pick some up.

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

I really enjoy their Grapefruit and Lemon products. I buy them all the time and they work great in cocktails--especially vodka cocktails. I had the good fortune of trying all their products, side-by-side, back in May at the Fancy Foods show here in Chicago. Very nice. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I just bought a few of these yesterday -- blackberry, grapefruit, and clementine. So far I've tried the blackberry and found it very good, though it could have been a shade less sweet and I would have liked it even more. Clearly I should have bought one of each for a full sampling; I don't know what I was thinking. Tell me more about these cocktails! They aren't just Izze + vodka, are they?

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

• 3 weeks later...
So far I've tried the blackberry and found it very good, though it could have been a shade less sweet and I would have liked it even more.

It's a tough call. I like that they're less sweet then the typical American soft drinks. I agree that they could be even less sweet, but I figure they'd go out of business if they were any less sweet.

Bruce

I like the blackberry, too. This soda has just the right amount of sweetness for me. There is another brand of soda in stores called Grown-Up Soda (GUS) that is less sweet. I tried the Valencia Orange and it tasted of fizzy watered down orange juice to me. I'm not sure if it was sweetness missing to boost the flavor or what but it was definitely missing something. I liked the concept but not the execution.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 8 months later...
I really enjoy their Grapefruit and Lemon products.  I buy them all the time and they work great in cocktails--especially vodka cocktails.  I had the good fortune of trying all their products, side-by-side, back in May at the Fancy Foods show here in Chicago. 

The grapefruit is delicious with gin. It's my go-to, easy weeknight cocktail now.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I tried Izze's blueberry soda for the first time. I had never seen it in Japan before, but it looked interesting.

Wish it tasted more interesting, too. It's rather weak in blueberry flavour (in my opinion), and after looking at the ingredients, I understand why. I should have checked out the ingredients before I spent Y315 (that's about US$3.25) on my single bottle. Had I done that, I'd never have bought it.

Still, I'll probably try the pomegranate one, and if the lemon or grapefruit ones showed up (there were none at the store I visited), I'd try them too.