• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winteringham Fields

well as far as i no colin is head. He is after all a trained chef so maybe he thinks he can get the job done.

If colin gets the star then WHY is andy there,,,, surley andy went there to regain a star for WF and not to be just a sous chef.

Its 10 years since WF gained 2* this guide,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WHY IS COLIN DOING THIS TO WINTERINGHAM?????????????????????????????

because he spent £1.2m + on it and needs to be in control of the kitchen so he doesn't get left without chefs again?

You have hit the nail on the head Gary. If Colin is known to be Chef Patron, then he will be thinking that he can't loose a star again when the next head chef leaves. This is presuming that he regains the star, which is sounding very unlikely at the moment!!

Taste is everything

well as far as i no colin is head. He is after all a trained chef so maybe he thinks he can get the job done.

If colin gets the star then WHY is andy there,,,, surley andy went there to regain a star for WF and not to be just a sous chef.

Its 10 years since WF gained 2* this guide,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WHY IS COLIN DOING THIS TO WINTERINGHAM?????????????????????????????

because he spent £1.2m + on it and needs to be in control of the kitchen so he doesn't get left without chefs again?

You have hit the nail on the head Gary. If Colin is known to be Chef Patron, then he will be thinking that he can't loose a star again when the next head chef leaves. This is presuming that he regains the star, which is sounding very unlikely at the moment!!

It is indeedi i mean when the team i worked with was there we must have been so close to the second star it was a dream team. Rob, then dan then alan, 3 great chefs. so its such a shame to see it go from a major strength to the position it in now, im just very happy rob got out at the right time as every one can see he is maintaining his exelent standards else were. I agree with what Germain said about Rob by saying he will be the youngest chef to ever gain 3 stars.

Patrick, do you no when dan and alan went to, robs 2 sous chefs at the fields. :smile:

• 1 month later...

WF reduced to two AA rosettes now - and I'm sure they had a five-rosette plate on display at reception last year: a steep and sad decline indeed. And with those high prices still in place, their business model looks ever more wobbly to me.

Their website also still reports as news their 9/10 in the GFG for 2006. I wish I'd gone when I had the chance.....

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Anyone eaten,,, do you dare pay the price for a three rosette gaff :shock:

Sorry Two Rosette gaff :wink:

:blink: Bl***y Hell! 75 squid and THEN they offer a side order of seasonal veg for extra £3.75!!!!!

BTW they have taken off the GFG rating from their home page. (night off and not much to do........ :biggrin: )

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

• 2 weeks later...

This will be a quick post as I'm up early for work unfortunately but I've just been back to WF this evening and thought I would quickly post my thoughts

Despite the problems they have had over the past 12 months I firmly believe this was the best of the three meals that I have had there, the only course that didn't quite do it for me was the dessert but even that was a 7/10 course. Amuse Bouche were Pineapple Canneloni, something I have totally forgotten and a shot of bloody mary essence (tomato water) topped with a basil mousse. The best of these was the shot, very very tasty! We had the Menu Surpise and it was as follows

Fishcake with fried calimari; wish I could remember the rest of this dish as it was lovely but it was the pre course so is not on the printed out menu they give you.

Goats Cheese Tortellini (would have been mushroom but I'm not a fan), asparagus, orange, flowers and pistachio salad finished with sauce vierge

Roasted Suckling Pig, artichoke puree, pak choi, sea bream, bacon and parsley oil

Salt Baked scallops, confit peppers and leek veloute (the dish was finished at the table, i.e scallop taken from the salt etc)

Tequila Granite and Lemon Sorbet

Lamb loin, olive potato, spiced carrot puree, spinach served with lamb jus

The Winteringham Fields Cheese Trolley - I had 4 cheeses but can't remember the names, one looked like 'fudge' though

Passion fruit souffle, vanilla panacotta topped with apricot foam

Raspberry mousse with strawberry and ginger emulsion, accompanied by a pepper and strawberry sorbet, honey and lemon verbena foam

Along with the standard selection of mini tarts and chocolates that was just about everything. Top 3 dishes starting with the best were lamb, pig, scallops. As mentioned above this was the best of the 3 meals that I've had there and I can happily say that WF will get one star back (or at least should) next year. A couple of the courses were two star standard IMHO.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

We went to WF for lunch last week and were very disappointed. We've enjoyed it so much in the past - under the Schwabs and then Robert Thompson.

Keeping to the basic menu apart from a pud each from the a la carte side, 2 soft drinks and with tea for two to finish (and don't get me started on that subject!) it came to £110.

Apart from the indifferent food, the place just didn't feel 'right'.

Has anyone here been recently? I'd be interested to hear other experiences . . . . maybe they were having a bad day when we went!

Thanks! Mildred

• 4 weeks later...

:angry:

Hi there,

We went to WF for lunch last week and were very disappointed. We've enjoyed it so much in the past - under the Schwabs and then Robert Thompson.

Keeping to the basic menu apart from a pud each from the a la carte side, 2 soft drinks and with tea for two to finish (and don't get me started on that subject!) it came to £110.

Apart from the indifferent food, the place just didn't feel 'right'.

Has anyone here been recently? I'd be interested to hear other experiences . . . . maybe they were having a bad day when we went!

Thanks! Mildred

At ninety five quid for four courses, there should be no 'bad days'. WF has to be now the most outrageously priced restaurant in the UK. You can't help feeling the place is desperately trying to get by on previous reputations. The menu reads like, lets use as many expensive ingriedients as possible and put them all together. There seems to be no individuality or honesty to the food. Its almost car crash avant garde. At these prices and with the lack of reputation or track record, WF could be in for a very bumpy ride. Forget the stars for now and get back to reality.

it is indeed £95 for 4 courses ALC but the tasting menu is £79, or 3 courses £75, 4 courses £95, cheese £18.

it's always been expensive and i agree they have to deliver at those prices, their argument will be that they are still using the same ingredients that the schwabs used and therefore charge the same. I'd need to see some firm evidence it was worth it before heading back - not been since annie & germain sold up.

note on the website you can apply for a 20% off voucher (sat nights excepted)

you don't win friends with salad

You've hit the nail on the head Gary. But to my mind and alot of others, the point you have made is WF biggest floor. They may well be using the same produce as before but the cooking ( as so many people who have been, including myself note) is no where near what it was under Schwabs/ Thompson. It does not have it. We all know just how long Germain slogged away. Reputations have to be earnt, not bought. The fact remains they are now only a two rosette restaurant but charging almost three star prices. Nothing stacks up with place at the moment, other than it trying to get by on past, unassiociated reputations.

• 3 weeks later...
:sad: Its a shame to think about it. Considering the glory days of 2 stars 5 rosettes. Then rob regains one and four, now its just 2 rosettes it seems greed over food id say. lower the costs for one, tasting should be no more than 55 for 2 rosettes in my opinion

• 4 weeks later...

Just been shown a very funny but silly comment from the owner of WF, featured in their regional newspaper. Following a very average 'score on the doors' by the local council, they still claim and I quote 'to have the cleanest kitchen in the WORLD'!! ludicrious!

• 1 month later...

well guess what, i've booked a table. :shock:

a combination of a free room offer (as long as you have either the tasting menu and wines to match or spend the same amount ALC+drinks) and the menu seemingly featuring a lot of germain style dishes pushed us over the edge, going with some friends one of whom used to work there so hopefully it will be a good night, i'm looking forward to it.

:huh: Gary you've got to be kidding. Are you doing as a dare! Ditto, can't wait for the 'review'! Friends of mine went six weeks ago, I did ask why at the time and I hate to say this, but they said it was pretty kak. Apparently the food is bland and said it felt dated, no personality to it. My own thoughts on the place are the same as my last thread a while back. Way, way over priced, its two rosette not two michelin, which they kind of forget it seems. (unless you get free rooms etc - ALARM!!!!), desperately trying to be something they arn't .ie Lets pretend Mr Schwab is still here! Fuk knows why anybody would want to spend their hard earnt cash there.

sentimental attachment, and old germain dishes on the menu, i'll give them a chance.

old and dated in it's place is fine by me, and like anthony's just because michelin haven't rated it doesn't mean it's not cooking to their standards, with germain going and robbie going there has to be continuity issues in their eyes so until there's some stability at the helm they could be 3* standard and it might not sway them.

it's licensed so i doubt enjoyment will be an issue.

I really have no idea what to expect but i'd be suprised if it's as bad as some of the reports.

eta:though i'm deffo not paying a £20 supplement for cooked breakfast the next day!

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)