• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food network chef comes by for dinner!

Chris Cognac

Well that's nothing we like to talk about..... :hmmm::blink::raz::laugh:

Not in polite society anyway .... in a line from Mel Brooks film "History of the World, Part 2" ... wherein he is King Louis the 14th, and I will paraphrase his script, "you Google, I Google, and in a few minutes, you're gonna want to Google again!" .. funnier when it comes out of his mouth ... :rolleyes:

But I will stand by my statement that anyone who will be dining with a bona fide chef, ought to know that person's strengths and interests culinarily ... hence the website can offer that "sneak preview" ... see? back on topic .... :raz:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We had a great dinner at El Gringo in Hermosa Beach...he is also a really nice guy, it was kinda funny though cause everyone kept looking at us!...I almost felt like a celeb!

You are hob-nobbing with the best of them :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

As much as I enjoy living vicariously through your celebrity interaction, I find that picture of Alton a little disconcerting. Is it me or was he not terribly excited at having a camera shoved in his face while eating?

Is it me or was he not terribly excited at having a camera shoved in his face while eating?

Who would be? Take away the celebrity factor, and I think it could be the expression on ANYONE'S face as they tried to enjoy their dinner (most specifically when spoon/fork is on the way to the mouth).

And yet, there's got to be some kind of perverse pleasure out of this. Why else would waiters always seem to show up to ask you how everything is just as you've put a bite into your mouth? :huh:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

As much as I enjoy living vicariously through your celebrity interaction, I find that picture of Alton a little disconcerting. Is it me or was he not terribly excited at having a camera shoved in his face while eating?

heck, that was the second take...I was trying to get his eyes looking up...the first one was really bad!...you should see the ugly ones of me he took with my camera...uuugh!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

heck, that was the second take...I was trying to get his eyes looking up...the first one was really bad!...you should see the ugly ones of me he took with my camera...uuugh!

He's quite the world traveler.

The wife and I met him Friday night at an Atlanta area restaurant opening. She walked up just as he took a bite of salad and I came up separately a few minutes later.

Wanted to meet him but felt a little strange intruding on his supper. The interruption was taken in stride. Alton Brown seems to be one who would be a great dinner (or lunch) companion.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

you should see the ugly ones of me he took with my camera...uuugh!

That's strange, I've looked at this page a few times and these bad pictures of you are no where to be found :smile: I think if you make Alton look like less then perfect, then you should definitely return the favor by posting his bad shots of you. It's only fair.

Come on... what's good for the goose...

He is a great dinner guest, I picked him up at his hotel, we had a nice diner and cruised around the beach a bit then i took him to LAX for the red eye flight...man that dude works hard!

It was a nice meal, no interview, nothing like that...just great conversation over a few beers and tacos!..Modelo cerveza's I might add!

You asked for it...here is a photo he took of me...I look like a bull for some reason!

i9020.jpg

Edit: me no spel gud!

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

The Hungry Detective

• 4 weeks later...
Yea,I am pretty stoked, now people are actually finding my website...since my newspaper wont let me out it in my column!..Alton is the man!

What... no eG link?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

So since Gentleman Gourmand is linked on Culinary Detective, and thats linked on AltonBrown, and thats linked on Food Network, that makes me an Iron Chef....right?

I challenge Alton Brown! (And he has to play fair, no science tricks!)

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

Yea,I am pretty stoked, now people are actually finding my website...since my newspaper wont let me out it in my column!..Alton is the man!

What... no eG link?

e gullet is proudly linked on my site...right next to Iron Fans and Altons site...and Gentleman's.......I should put Holly Eats site up along with a few more good ones...I must say that the link from Alton has really helped!

OK, now which other sites should I put up?

The Hungry Detective

Chris, I am truly proud of you, and as I told you from the first, your website shows a definite talent, your photos are superb, and you do your regular job through all this. When you are airbound do you follow chases and that sort of thing?

You have a definite talent in rooting out superb food, and congeniality to boot. Witness all your blogs.

. When you are airbound do you follow chases and that sort of thing?

Speaking of chases....Sat night , we had a classic L.A pursuit for 1 hr 45 mins that ended in Hollywood,right in front of the Kodak theater....with a stand off....I was in the chopper and could see about 100 plus tourists on Hollywood Blvd thinking it was a movie,starting to take pictures and get close.....I had to yell at them over the loudspeaker in the helicopter.....truly a Hollywood moment!...Only in L.A.!

The Hungry Detective

i9018.jpg

Okay, what's the deal? I had Nebraska STEAK tonight, and Nebraska SWEET CORN, and those still looked good.

STOP STEALING MY STATE'S THUNDER!

Wow! Great looking food! And you lucky dog!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.