• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Sandwiches in NYC

doppled

hey all,

i think i'm over my pizza craze for awhile... have now moved on to finding great sandwiches to try! ...anyone have favorites i should check out?

so far on my to-vist list:

cuban - havana chelsea

bahn mi - ba xuyen

cheesesteak - carl's (i lived in philly for 6 years, hope this one's good)

places i've already tried:

pastrami - katz's

burger - parker meridien's (been everywhere and this is still my favorite)

shwarma - mamoun's

..still looking for a good muffalata and souvlaki place! (a meatball hero would be nice too)

You're welcome, and welcome to eGullet!

You might also want to check out Azuri Cafe, which if I remember correctly is on 51 St. just east of 10th Av. It's another Israeli kosher felafel place.

Michael aka "Pan"

Baba ganoush sandwich at Kalustyan's. Be sure to get the pickles on it.

Cubano at Maybar Cafe in the South Bronx(135th and 3rd avenue). Get it with garlic and ask for some skin in the sandwich.

From Russ and Daughters: bagel and lox. Eater's choice of lox. The wild white salmon is a favorite in my house these days.

At Romeo and Giuseppi's in New Haven (forgive the distance but I haven't found a match in NYC), on a hard roll that is actually kind of soft: proscuitto, buffalo mozarella fresh basil, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. Slice of tomato optional. If New Haven is too far, ask for the same sandwich at Mike's deli on Arthur Ave.

I second the bahn mi option especially if the above-mentioned place is the one next to the firehouse on Broome. Ask for fresh chilis at your own risk.

That's all for now.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

The "Special Italian Hero" at Faicco's Pork Store on Bleecker Street. It is the Platonic ideal of a sub sandwich/hero/grinder.

For ten bucks, you'll get a sandwich easily big enough for two people, containing the best-quality Italian deli meats (prosciutto, cappicola, sopressata, etc.) and cheeses to be found in the city. My wife and I will often pick one of these up on a weekend day and stroll down to the Hudson River for an impromptu picnic.

Edited by enrevanche (log)

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Baba ganoush sandwich at Kalustyan's. Be sure to get the pickles on it.

The mujaddara sandwich at Kalustyan's is also totally fabulous (though the falafel is only so-so).

Junior's has excellent egg salad sandwiches. Perfectly cooked eggs with just enough mayo to hold it together.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Baba ganoush sandwich at Kalustyan's.  Be sure to get the pickles on it. 

The mujaddara sandwich at Kalustyan's is also totally fabulous

I was going to mention that. As it is, I'll second the remark. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Courtesy of www.superpages.com:

Kalustyan's Orient Trading

123 Lexington Avenue Frnt, New York, NY 10016

(212) 683-8458

Now, what on earth does "Frnt" mean???

Michael aka "Pan"

Mike’s Deli

2344 Arthur Avenue, Bronx 10458 (Inside Arthur Ave. Market)

(718) 295-5033

Here is a link to addresses of most of the places mentioned in the thread above, along with other restaurants on Arthur Avenue and throughout the Bronx.

To get to Arthur Avenue, it's the BX12 bus east from the 207th St. 1 or A, or from some D train stop (Fordham Rd.?).

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Courtesy of www.superpages.com:

Kalustyan's Orient Trading

123 Lexington Avenue Frnt, New York, NY 10016

(212) 683-8458

It's the "fart" sound generated by pressing the upper front teeth firmly against the lower lip, thereby creating a seal, and forcibly expelling air from the lungs throughsides of the mouth, thereby cause the lips to vibrate and creating a "frnt" sound.

Edited by Stone (log)

It's the "fart" sound generated by pressing the upper front teeth firmly against the lower lip, thereby creating a seal, and forcibly expelling air from the lungs throughsides of the mouth, thereby cause the lips to vibrate and creating a "frnt" sound.

Well. Now I know what it is, and how to pronounce it.

:laugh:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

thanks everyone, this is exactly what i've been looking for.. my sandwich feeding frenzy starts this week.

(that pic of the "yankee stadium" sub has just put mike's deli at the top of my list.. it's ridiculously good looking!)

I have had some very good sandwiches (and some excellent bright red tomato soup) at Bread on 20 Spring St. I'm also really anxious to try some of the places suggested above. Thanks a ton for this thread!

Luke J.

Luke

HEY -

I am gonna throw out there that I think a hot dog can kinda be like a sandwich so I am gonna suggest my favorite hot dog place in the city - it is at the end of St. Marx - I think right before A. The place is called CRIF DOGS...

113 SAINT MARKS PLACE

NEW YORK CITY

212 614 2728

DELIVERY AVAILABLE

Between Avenue C - Broadway

Houston St. - 14th St.

$10 minimum order

Will Travel Extra For Large Piles of Cash

(from their website)

totally awesome place - I love the Tsunami, the White trash, and the hot dog with a fried egg!!!

Let me know what you think!!!

• 11 months later...

I like Uncle Nick's for Gyros and Niko's Mediterranean Grill and Bistro (upper west side) at lunchtime offers a great Gyro with a mixture of sweet potato and potato fries that are great and the tzatziki is excellent so ask for extra.

Emma Peel

I'll put in for Kebab Cafe in Astoria as my favorite Falafel... the man is a genuis... I am sure his shawarma is good as well.

Also, the Tony Luke's transplant on 9th does make a helluva roast pork italian, though I haven't had their cheesesteak.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this again to endorse Alidoro, a Soho place (Sullivan between Prince & Spring) that makes brilliant sandwiches (and sometimes gelato) yet seems almost criminally underpatronized.

I'd also like to send some love to Esposito's Pork Store (sp?) in Carroll Gardens, which features a fantastic "Italian Combo" hero. A bit more generic-feeling than Alidoro's creations but certainly no worse.