• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurants

fatcatbrew

There will be new Pan Asian restaurant opening next to The Market Basket and Endless Vine in Franklin Lakes. It should be open by the end of the summer. I am sure it will be successful since the dining choices in Franklin Lakes are limited.

Another restaurant that had their grand opening last Tuesday is in Suffern NY next to Cafe Dolce and across from Marcello's. The name of the restaurant is Wicky and is supposed to be a martini bar as well. If anyone has the chance to try Wicky, please post your comments and I will do the same since I may try it tonight.

Speaking of new restaurants, does anyone have any idea what is happening at "Blend" in Ridgewood. I thought it would have been up and running by now, but the last time I walked by it is filled with construction debris and seems to have a long way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

There's also a new Spanish (or it may have been Cuban...I can't really remember) restaurant that opened in Ridgewood over July 4th weekend. It's across from the train station right around the corner from Gazelle. I have no idea what the name of the road is at that point, or really what direction that is from downtown. But hopefully you all know where I'm talking about. (feel free to chime in with clarifying directions)

I don't know anything about it...anyone have any info?

Update: I drove by today (7/13) and saw that it is called Sazon, and bills itself as Nuevo Latino

Edited by chefdavidrusso (log)

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

Another new restaurant is "coming soon" to Ridgewood in the space where The Sounding Board was. Some type of Dim Sum restaurant.

judging from the sign, it looks "family friendly." it will have to be pretty damned good for me to not got to China 46. and i'll tell you right now, it won't be anywhere near that good.

A new Italian place recently (last 2 weeks or so) opened in Rutherford on Park Ave. - Cucina Reggio? - I'm in an antibiotic / sinus infected daze today so I'm not sure if I'm getting the name - haven't been there yet.

Also, after months of looking desolate, the "opening soon - Thai grill" place on Spring Dell Ave. just off Park Ave. is suddenly looking a lot closer to opening. I believe they are naming themselves Spring Grill. I'm keeping tabs on this one cuz I would LOVE a decent Thai place in my town.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

"I would LOVE a decent Thai place in my town." And you live...........?????? :biggrin:

Let us know when it opens.

Sorry, in Rutherford.

I just thought everyone knew that at this point. :biggrin:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

"I would LOVE a decent Thai place in my town."  And you live...........?????? :biggrin:

Let us know when it opens.

Sorry, in Rutherford.

I just thought everyone knew that at this point. :biggrin:

you do have a complete list of thai restaurants within 10 miles of you, right? if not, we can surely supply one. :biggrin:

I'm still trying to get up to Wondee's for the first time.

Not to mention sampling the Indian restaurants that folks were kind enough to suggest when I started a thread back in April or so. Or finding the time to write about the first two on my list that we actually did get to recently.

And then there's China 46.

And how the heck do you dine out as often as you want when the unemployment checks dried up a year ago? Man, I might have to get a job again! :wink:

Took a stroll down Park Ave this afternoon after hitting the farmers' mkt & stuffing the fruits/vegs into the car. (Yes we are still in Rutherford.)

The Spring Grill now has its sign hung on the front of the building. The sign wasn't there 10 days ago. This IS promising.

Checked out the menu at the newly-opened La Reggia Bistro at 15 Park Ave. Fairly standard, but they do list rigatoni amatriciana, which immediately puts them on my short list of must-try-soon places. It's a dish that's easy to do passably well, but requires an artist to lift to the spectacular level. I've tried to do it often enough! Actually I haven't since I still haven't got it right. A plate of spaghetti amatriciana that I had in Venice about 10 years ago remains the most perfect pasta dish I have ever tasted. I haven't found a version since that even comes close to that one, but it's still fun to sample different takes on the theme.

(NOTE TO SELF: write that piece about that plate of spaghetti amatriciana. Figure out which Forum it belongs in.)

Strolling back up Park Ave, I glanced across the street and was shocked to notice two places I hadn't seen before. They each have their own awning with the number 36 painted on it, & clearly share the same storefront. Makes you wonder if they share the kitchen too. The one on the right is the Peneil Japanese Cafe. Looked open for biz but had a big CLOSED sign on the door. The one on the left is the Tango Grill / Latin Rotisserie, windows still papered over, looking close to opening but not quite yet.

The opening splatters from the approaching T-storm kept me from crossing the street & poking around for more info.

Where do these places come from? Thinking back, I may have noticed Peneil out of the corner of my eye earlier in the year, but I'd swear up & down that there was absolutely no sign of the Tango Grill a mere 10 days ago. It's almost spooky.