• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2004 Farmers Markets in NJ

I've edited the above list with some of the info I missed before. Anyone have the hours for the Livingston Mall market? And, is it in a parking lot or in the mall?

TIP: Print out the first post with the schedule (I go to print this topic, then print preview and just print the first two pages), and keep it in the glove compartment of your car. That way if you are driving around running errands or something where you aren't in a hurry, you can check which markets are open wherever you happen to be that day.

Ridgewood was very small last week....only about 7-10 vendors.... At Ridgewood last week there was an outfit that was making fresh mozzarella right there at the market.  I got some, and it was fantastic.

Actually, 7-10 vendors is a pretty big farmer's market this year. Most I've been to have been in the 3-5 vendor range. We still haven't been to Englewood this year, but even Teaneck only had 6 vendors.

We went to Ridgewood today and introduced ourselves to the mozzarella vendor. Unfortunately, he had just sold out and was packing up for the day, so we didn't get to buy any (oh well, we still have some of the ball we bought in Teaneck last week). However, I did get his business card and invited him to check out eGullet. Perhaps he'll stop in to say hello. Like it was mentioned above, they have shop but it is closed for the summer. Right now they are only selling ouf the Ridgewood market on Sundays. He said he wanted to get into other markets, but no luck so far. (Perhaps we could list the markets in northern NJ that don't have a cheese vendor, so at least he won't waste his time contacting ones that do?)

Bella Mozzarella Italian Specialties

25-01A Broadway, Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

Phone: 201-703-5500

Hi everyone. This is my first post, although I've been lurking for about a month in the forums now. I haven't really bought from farmers' markets in a while (always used to think they were too expensive) but I have come to love the farmers' markets in Ridgewood and River Vale. I love buying the fresh herbs in Ridgewood for rock bottom prices. The River Vale market is very good too, and they have an Amish group there selling baked goods. The River Vale market seems to be almost as busy as the Ridgewood market (I couldn't even get in to the park on Thursday) and they could definitely use the mozzarella vendor there. Those guys make some good stuff!

Livingston Mall Farmers Market = Monday's 12 to 5 in the mall parking lot by macy's on the Eisenhower Parkway side.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

If any of you are in the neighborhood, Charlie Mathews in Hunterdon County, Quakertown, has a really nice stand which is open 7/24. Everything is $1. Four zucchini, a quart of peaches, a quart of tomatoes, five bell peppers, five japanese eggplants, an overflowing quart of string beans, all for a buck each. Look for the sign directing you to Quaker Lane next to the Franklin Township School.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope the R'ford mkt is a Weds gig. It should not be on the list for Thurs, I hadn't noticed that before or I'd have asked for a correction.

Don't feel too bad, this week's corn crop is NOT as sweet as it was 2 weeks ago for some reason.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 weeks later...

Took advantage of a day off today to go early to the Nyack Farmers Market. With about 12 terrific vendors, this has to be among the best markets in the Northern NJ-Rockland area.

We started at Andryshuk, who as mentioned grows everything on the stand himself. Really nice lettuce at 3 heads for $2.75, nice yellow plum tomatoes (red also) terrific corn, carrots, beets, peppers, about 12 varieties of potatoes and onions. Next to him is the well-known-to Eg- Bobolink Dairy with their cheeses and breads. On the other side is The Baker's Wife, with a big selection of Balthazar Breads that is actually about 25% cheaper than buying the bread at the Englewood store! A fresh Mozzarella vendor, a local winery, a really interesting Soul Food vendor, a Mushroom vendor, a fresh poultry vendor, a Pepper and Herb live plant vendor, "The Rugelach Guy" with some nice looking pastries, Conklin Orchards, with some nice fruit and some otherwise standard stuff, and the best of all, Blooming Hill Farm.

An all-organic farm without the high prices, this place was great! Husk cherry tomatoes, a tiny little tomato in a husk that you remove and it tastes almost like a grape! Pea shoots, wonderful for a salad; Heirloom tomatoes at only $1.50/lb; (about 8 varieties) terrific lettuce, Oak Leaf, Red Spotted, and some others; Organic corn at 4 for $1. What a great place. They also have an organic restaurant at their farm near Monroe, NY that is now on my list to try.

Get over to this Nyack Market if you can, only 4 more Thursdays until closing for the winter!!

Husk cherry tomatoes, a tiny little tomato in a husk that you remove and it tastes almost like a grape! 

Curious...were these tomatoes red or green? I've only ever heard of tomatillos with a husk. Then again, I don't eat raw tomatoes, so I'm not sure why I'm wondering! But I am. :huh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."