• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2004 Farmers Markets in NJ

Here's a link to the USDA Farmers Market page for NJ. The link has additional information, such as contact phone numbers and/or email addresses, in addition to which markets accept WIC coupons. It is organized in alphabetical order by town, as opposed to our by day order.

If there are any additional markets that were not listed on the USDA site, please let me know to add them to our list.

As I was reviewing the list compared to last year, I noticed that many of the markets have cut back their hours slightly, frequently cutting off the last hour. Plus, a few have changed locations. So, be sure to double-check the list for your favorite market.

DAILY

Paterson: 6AM - 7PM, 449 East Railway Avenue

SUNDAY

Columbus: dawn-1:30, Route 206 South

Flemington 1-6, Liberty Village Premium Outlets

Lafayette: 11-4, Olde Lafayette Village, St. Rd. 15

Morristown: 9-1, Dumont Place, behind post office

Red Bank: 9-2, Galleria parking lot, West Front St and Shrewsbury Ave.

Ridgewood: 9-3, Train Station

Summit: 8:30-1:30, Summit Bank parking lot

West Cape May: 11-3, Borough Hall parking lot

MONDAY

Livingston: 12-6, Livingston Mall parking lot by Macy's on the Eisenhower Parkway side of the mall

Maplewood: 2:30-7:30, Indiana St parking lot at Springfield Ave.

Springfield: 12-6, Caldwell Ave.

Springfield: 12-6, 101 Mountain Ave.

TUESDAY

Camden: 9-3, Walter Rand Transportation Center

East Orange: 9:30-5, 192 Halsted St, lot 2D.

Elizabeth: 10-6, 2nd Avenue

Hasbrouck Heights: 12-6, Boulevard at Washington Pl.

Hoboken: 3-7:30, Newark St between River and Hudson Sts.

Jersey City-Harvest Square: 3:30-6:30, St. Patrick’s church, Bramhall & Ocean Ave.

Pilesgrove: 8-4, Cowtown Farmers Market, 780 Route 40

West Cape May: 3-8, Borough Hall parking lot

WEDNESDAY

Hopewell: 4-7, Rt. 518 (main street in Hopewell) in front of Failte coffee shop

Jersey City: 11-7, Journal Square

Ocean City: 8-1, Ocean City Tabernacle Grounds

Ocean City: 8-1, 5th & Asbury Avenue

Roselle Park: 1-6, Chestnut St and E. Grant Ave.

Rutherford: 11-6, Williams Plaza, Park Avenue

South Orange: 2:30-7, Train Station at Sloan St. & W South Orange Ave.

THURSDAY

Atlantic City: 10-4, Gordon's Ally parking lot

Bloomfield: 1-6, Lackawanna Plaza across from the Bloomfield train station.

Camden: 9-1, Yorkshire Square

Jersey City: 1:30-7:30, Hamilton Park, between 8th and 9th Streets

Jersey City: 11:30-6:30, Pavonia East Street

Livingston: 12-6, 45 S Livingston Ave.

Madison: 2-7, Madison High School, Ridgedale Ave (July-August)

Madison: 2-7, Community Pool, Rosedale Ave. (Sept-Oct)

Montgomery: 2-7, Routes 206 & 518

Newark: 11-4, Military Park, Corner of Broad Street & Raymond Boulevard

Newark: 10-4, Bethany Baptist Church, 275 West Market Street

Nyack, NY: 9-2, Municipal Parking Lot, Main Street behind the Helen Hayes Theater

Rahway: 12-6, Train Station

Rivervale: 1-6, Piermont Rd.

Rutherford: 11-6, Williams Plaza, Park Avenue

Salem: 10-2, West Broadway

Teaneck: 2-7, Garrison Ave and Beverly Road

Trenton: 11-2, Barrack & Lafayette Streets (July-Sept)

Trenton: 9-6, 960 Spruce Street (year-round)

Westfield: 2-7, Train station, South Ave parking lot

FRIDAY

Bridgeton: 10-2

Camden: 11-3, Camden Waterfront

Camden: 9-3, Walter Rand Transportation Center

Englewood: 12-7, North Van Brunt St. & Demarest

Forked River: 2-6, Route 9 & Lacey Road

Highland Park: 11-5, Raritan Ave. (Rt 27) between 2nd and 3rd Ave.

Millburn: 8-2, Essex and Main St.

Smithville: 12-5, Village Green, Moss Mill Road & Rt 9

West Orange: 12-6, 66 Main Street

SATURDAY

Atlantic City: 10-4, Gordon's Ally parking lot

Atlantic Highlands: 9-2, Cornwall Park on Bay Avenue

Belmar: 9-1, Main St & train station

Bernardsville: 9-2, Rt 202 & Claremont Rd.

Boonton: 8:30 - 12:30, Upper Plane Street parking lot

Burlington: 9-2, East Pearle & High Sts.

Camden: 9-1, Camden Waterfront

Collingswood: 8-12, 730 Haddon Avenue

Highlands: 9-2, Bay Avenue

Irvington: 11-6, between Clinton and Springfield Aves.

Jersey City: 8-1, Jersey Ave & Montgomery St.

Metuchen: 9-2, 442 Main Street

Montclair: 8-2, Walnut Street train station parking lot (on Walnut about a block off Grove)

Netcong: 9-2, Main St & Rt 46

North Plainfield: 9-2, Somerset Street across from Borough Hall.

Pilesgrove: 8-4, Cowtown Farmers Market, 780 Route 40

Princeton: 8:30-1:30, Herban Garden, corner of Paul Robeson Way and Witherspoon St.

Scotch Plains: 8-2, Municipal parking lot at Park Ave.

West Windsor: 9-1, Southbound, Princeton Junction train station, Vaughn Drive parking lot

Woodbury: 9-1, Between Cooper & East Barber Street

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Thanks Rachel....my wife and I popped in on the Ridgewood market when we got off the train from the city. Unfortunately it was the end of the day, so not much was left. But everything that was still there looked great. Any idea how big it gets?

What would you recommend as a particularly good one, both in terms of quality as well as variety?

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I like the Englewood market, but I haven't been to Ridgewood to compare. Hasbrooke Heights isn't too far from you, you may want to check that one out. Ditto for Rivervale, but I haven't been to either of those. I've been to Teaneck, that one is pretty good too. Like you noted the main thing is to get there early, at least during the first hour or two before stuff starts to sell out.

I used to go to the market in Montclair but now I question the concept of a Farmer's Market in New Jersey , because when I can home I had tomatoes and peaches in the back having California stickers on them. To top things off, all over the market there were signs reading "Jersey Fresh". Made me feel like the vendor went to PathMark and bought the produce and then sold it at a mark up price. I tend now to wait until I am in western or southern Jersey and go to the farm stands myself. Perhaps this was an isolated instance but it got my goat.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I know exactly what you mean. I usually ask vendors with whom I am not familiar if they grew the produce themselves. However when things aren't in season here, it's nice to still have the variety, if the quality is better than supermarket stuff. Frequently, we buy products other than produce at Farmer's Markets, simply because it is local stuff, like baked goods, meats & cheese.

I like the Englewood market, but I haven't been to Ridgewood to compare. Hasbrooke Heights isn't too far from you, you may want to check that one out. Ditto for Rivervale, but I haven't been to either of those. I've been to Teaneck, that one is pretty good too. Like you noted the main thing is to get there early, at least during the first hour or two before stuff starts to sell out.

Ridgewood was very small last week....only about 7-10 vendors. I'm not exactly sure where Hasbrooke Heights is, but I will certainly check it out.

And I agree with you...the produce itself isn't always the best part of the market. At Ridgewood last week there was an outfit that was making fresh mozzarella right there at the market. I got some, and it was fantastic.

At Ridgewood last week there was an outfit that was making fresh mozzarella right there at the market. I got some, and it was fantastic.

that guy is pretty well known in the area (although the name escapes me) and very well might be worth the trip on its own, given the options in the area for fresh muzz.

The information above re the location of the Montclair market is no longer correct. It moved last year to the parking lot of the Walnut Street train station (on Walnut about a block off Grove).

I have, however, had the same problem as the poster above about non-local produce (which is marked local). I asked the market "manager" this past Saturday about the rules for non-local produce. He said that he had "no idea," but "sine all these guys are farmers, they're probably growing it." Thanks. FWIW, the Montclair market is better later in the summer when the odds of local produce improve.

that guy is pretty well known in the area (although the name escapes me) and very well might be worth the trip on its own, given the options in the area for fresh muzz.

I take it he has a shop someplace?

I take it he has a shop someplace?

indeed he does. he was written up in NJ Monthly, i think, not too long ago. i think i have the info somewhere. i'll post it if i find it. i think the guy's place is in Fairlawn or Hawthorne or something silly like that.

New in Livingston: Mondays at the Livingston Mall. It was very small this week, but I found a lot of local produce... peaches, blueberries, peas, cherry tomatoes.. ot at least they said it was and none of it had stickers!

I used to go to the market in Montclair but now I question the concept of a Farmer's Market in New Jersey , because when I can home I had tomatoes and peaches in the back having California stickers on them. To top things off, all over the market there were signs reading "Jersey Fresh". Made me feel like the vendor went to PathMark and bought the produce and then sold it at a mark up price. I tend now to wait until I am in western or southern Jersey and go to the farm stands myself. Perhaps this was an isolated instance but it got my goat.

This is really the fault of the Market Coordinators in the town-- you should report this to them. Most of the markets have rules concerning where the items sold are grown. On of the ex-coordinators in NYC contributed on the NY board and she told how she had tried to change the markets for the better, but politics won out and she got out. Her name escapes me for the moment...

There is a farmer named Andryshuk who is at the Nyack Market on Thursdays (just over the state line) and EVERYTHING he sells he picks himself. His farm is upstate and he always has great stuff at the market, depending on what's growing. Nice little market with about 8 vendors, including a pickle guy and a bread person.

For some reason, the Rutherford Market didn't make the list this year, but it's back in biz according to my town's website:

July 7 - Oct 7:

Rutherford's Famous Farmers Market

Wednesdays 11-6pm (Jersey Fresh Products and more)

Williams Plaza, Park Avenue, Rutherford

Call 201-460-3149 for more information.

It's small - 2 to 5 farmers depending on season - but I got some very good produce there last year (particularly corn & green beans - peaches were pretty good too). Having had a long acquaintance with the NYC Union Sq Greemarket, & having a good palate for freshness, there was never a doubt in my mind that the stuff wasn't Jersey Fresh.

If you're in the area at the right time, it's hard to beat for convenience.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Hi, my first post since moving to NJ to run Spring Hill Farm in Hopewell. We have two weekly farmers' markets:

SATURDAYS in Princeton 8:30- 1:30 The market is in the Herban Garden at the corner of Paul Robeson Way and Witherspoon St. Right behind Witherspoon Bread Co. It's hard to see from the street, but look for the signs leading you into the garden. (If you've never been in the garden it's a beautiful spot!)

WEDNESDAYS in Hopewell 4pm-7pm The market is on rt. 518 (main street in Hopewell) Right in front of Failte coffee shop, about a block down from The Brothers Moon restaurant. Look for the white tents.

Spring Hill Farm is certified organic. Right now I have: Buffalo and Azafran TOMATOES from my tunnel, green beans, summer squash, basil, garlic, lettuce, sunflowers, mixed bouquets ..... and more!

Also to plug my fellow farmers.....

Hopeview farm stand a little further south on 518 sells organic vegetables (grown by my childhood friend from DC) as well as non organic produce

The Bridge Farm operates a farmstand right across the bridge from Frenchtown in Uhlerstown, PA. They're not certified, but are great growers.

Hope you'll visit these markets!

Squashblossom

Hello squashblossom....welcome to eG. I get to Princeton every so often to visit my parents, so I'll be sure to stop by the market and say hello. Good luck with the season, and welcome to NJ.

Hello squashblossom....welcome to eG. I get to Princeton every so often to visit my parents, so I'll be sure to stop by the market and say hello. Good luck with the season, and welcome to NJ.

Sqaush is downstairs reheating our pizza and making a salad so I am writing for her. She says thanks for the welcome, but I think I got here a little before you. :wink: I can vouch for the fact that she has been too busy playing in the dirt to "spend anytime with anything you can't eat." :biggrin:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I hit the opening of the Rutherford market last Weds. Green beans were, err, interesting, tasted a bit like they were grown near a skunk patch. I remember the same flavor from the same beans last year. Curious.

Corn was VERY good, first native corn I've had this year. Red lettuce, absolutely delicious.

Peaches, magnificent. There is just nothing like that first bite of a Jersey Fresh peach. This is the time of year that I live for.

I'll be back there tomorrow, yes I will. :biggrin:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I made it to the Hasbrouck Heights market today. Just as small as last year: two produce vendors and a pickle guy (Dr. Pickle). Got some ripe juicy peaches, plums, tomatoes, basil, cherries, cukes, carrots, radishes. Stopped in at Han Ah Reum to fill in some gaps, I'm still going to give the local farmers/vendors my business but the prices are just so damn cheap at HAR, and the quality is usually so good, much better than my Stop & Shop, but I digress. Peaches. Mmm.

had the excellent fresh muzz from the ridgewood farmer's market last weekend. unfortunately i forgot to tell mrs. tommy to note the name of the place, and find out if he has a retail outlet. his sundried tomatoes are just fantastic as well.

Hey Tommy...I got some of the fresh mozz on Sunday as well, and I asked him about his retail. He said that he does have a shop but in the summer it's only open to prep for farmer's markets. It was too busy to have a long talk with him, so I didn't find out if he is at alot of different markets, but that would be my assumption.

Hey Tommy...I got some of the fresh mozz on Sunday as well, and I asked him about his retail. He said that he does have a shop but in the summer it's only open to prep for farmer's markets. It was too busy to have a long talk with him, so I didn't find out if he is at alot of different markets, but that would be my assumption.

excellent work chef. hopefully we'll be able to nail this guy down soon. even on a hot day, that warm blob of cheese feels great.

We went to the Teaneck Farmers Market today. Several produce vendors, two baked good vendors. And, a mozzarella stand, that also sold bread stuffed with cheese and vegetables (i.e. broccoli rabe, broccoli).

Please note, the Teaneck market has changed locations from last year. It's across the street and behind the bank from where it was last year. Much better location in a large parking lot. I've edited the above list.