• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Szechwan peppercorns

chef146

I am traveling to Toronto from the U.S. and would like to buy some Szechwan peppercorns, preferably in Chinatown. Can anyone please recommend where to buy Szechwan peppercorns in Toronto? Thank you.

You can find Szechuan peppercorns anywhere in Chinatown. There are none of the same restrictions on importing them like in the States that currently exists. I can't remember the reason behind this but I remember reading about it on this site and reading about it in one of the SF newspapers.

The restrictions in the U.S. are largely gone now too, except for the need for a basic heat treatment.

Details on this, and other non-region specific talk about Sichuan Peppercorns (yeah, I know... yet another spelling--it's the one we found used most often) are in this long running eGullet topic. Look at the posts from late April and early May--that's when we start talking about the revision of the ban.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

It was upstairs...main floor...near where the gadget store is. There was a carousel with packages of spices near one of the entrances. Sorry...I can't help you any more than that. I really don't take notice of the names of the places. I just know where I need to get my goodies.

s.g.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased two ounces from the CMC Company in Avalon, NJ, and then my friend ordered an ounce when I told her about it. They said they had a dwindling supply, but had no problems shipping to me in NY! Maybe the restrictions are just on new supplies?

Maybe they still have some...

-- Judy B

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

--James Michener