• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Friday, it's after 5:00 and I think

ned

Now that sounds interesting. I really need to get to Cafe Atlantico (I tried last weekend actually...funny story...) for the mojito and now, apparently, this. What's it called there?

-- C.S.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Now that sounds interesting.  I really need to get to Cafe Atlantico (I tried last weekend actually...funny story...) for the mojito and now, apparently, this.  What's it called there?

-- C.S.

Something really creative like 'passionfruit martini' or some such. I can't remember exactly. What funny story?

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Oh, ok then.

Nothing too hilarious, just I was heading home from Sesto Senso last Thursday on the Red Line and got to Chinatown, where I was to transfer to the Yellow to go to Crystal City. I realized when I got to Chinatown that Cafe Atlantico was in the area (If I got off at Archives instead of going all the way back), and started running the numbers re: time and funds (it was late and I was running low). I was so lost in it, "Ok, how late does this thing go on weekdays? If I don't go now, when can I come back? (I'm not downtown much) Yeah, I guess I'm dressed for it. Doors closing? Ah crap..." sort of thing, I didn't get off the damn train. Lost about 40 minutes travel time for a 30 second Mojito-rationalizing brainfart. Whether I wanted to go or not, I had to transfer there. Smooth. Should have just gone to Kramers for that nightcap like I was considering.

Matt Robinson

Experimental shots* night!

First up: Pitu.

Smells like rum, kind of. Or sake. Hold please. Yes, this is definately sake-esque. This isn't pouring so well.:blink: Is there an inner cap or something here? Beans, help me out! What's the dilly? Ok, there it goes. That was odd. Nowthen, on to business. Hm, not bad. Still vaguely sake-esque. Let's go to the replay. This bottle is starting to cheese me off. Still reminicent of sake...average sake, not a ginjyoshu. 'Drier', I think. Yeah, I can see using this for stuff. I'll go to the store tomorrow for caiphirinha components (Limes, and maybe some other sort of fruit).

Next contestant: Yukon Jack

I was after Pimms, having been made curious by the thread of the same name, but my boozeria was out, so I got Yukon Jack, since I've been wondering about that, too. Ah, Stamford, CT**...is there anything that isn't imported into you? The answer, of course, is 'yes', but still. Why does your mall have four (Yes, four, though it might be three. More than one, anyway) Abercrombies? Oh well. Thanks for all the fine drinkables. Smells like a sweet novelty cereal, but I can't place it. Was there ever a cereal called "Honey Burning Oat Rings"? That would be what Yukon Jack smells like. *cough* ...smooth. (Could that someone perhaps, perchance be Mack the Knife??). Not bad. There's no question that this is a 100 proof liqueur, and it has a sweet kick to it. Why do all the recipes on Webtender using this stuff seem incredibly strong? Just because it has 'Jack' in the name doesn't automatically mean you have to mix it with Jack Daniel's.

Alright, that's it for now. I need to clean and completely reassemble my (Hopefullly not dead...) dev laptop.

-- C.S.

* This has context from another thread! Not just like...doing shots for no reason!

** I'm origonally from the next big town over.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Ohhh... :blink:

Poor Chef Shogun! He's mixed Cachaca with Yukon Jack!!! Holy Hannah, you are going to suffer...

I don't expect to hear from you for a day or two, but when you come to, keep to the lime/sugar regimen for your caipirinhas (to get the authentic deal) before you try other components.

Good luck! :unsure:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Hey, I got poor Chelie [my maybe dead laptop]'s drive to mount in another machine, and I had to build a kernel module to do it, so it can't be that bad! Just...remind me never to 'jed /dev/hdc3' again to see if that is, in fact, the filesystem I want.... :shock: ouch. Got everything offloaded, though!

Matt Robinson

Hey, I got poor Chelie [my maybe dead laptop]'s drive to mount in another machine, and I had to build a kernel module to do it, so it can't be that bad!  Just...remind me never to 'jed /dev/hdc3' again to see if that is, in fact, the filesystem I want.... :shock: ouch. Got everything offloaded, though!

My point exactly...

:biggrin::wink::rolleyes::cool::blink:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Last night: Rhum Barbancourt.

Me too. With Roses lime on the bottom and a healthy wedge of lime squeezed on top.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

It's Friday, NOT QUITE after 5:00, but I just mowed the lawn in the hot sun and I'm

having a vodka and tonic - slainte.

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

It's Friday, it's 5:00 p.m. somewhere :biggrin: and after a day where everything that could go wrong did, :angry: I'm going to have a Vodka Martini (maybe two :biggrin: )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It's Friday, it's 5:00 p.m. somewhere :biggrin: and after a day where everything that could go wrong did, :angry: I'm going to have a Vodka Martini (maybe two :biggrin: )

Hear, hear! I'm right behind you. In fact, the Grey Goose is already on the counter.....I hope it makes it to the glass! :huh:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Is "I dropped the baby" a euphemism? For me today, it's not. Happily, it was a short fall and the baby is no worse for the wear. But after a half-day obsession about nerve damage and lost IQ points I've just mixed an aviation using Boodles and adding a dash of yuzu. Guess things are pretty much back to normal. Whew.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Is "I dropped the baby" a euphemism? For me today, it's not. Happily, it was a short fall and the baby is no worse for the wear. But after a half-day obsession about nerve damage and lost IQ points I've just mixed an aviation using Boodles and adding a dash of yuzu. Guess things are pretty much back to normal. Whew.

Glad to hear the baby's fine. Still lol at your post though, sorry. :wink:

Perhaps you should have more than 1 tonight?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Glad to hear the baby's fine.  Still lol at your post though, sorry.  :wink:

Perhaps you should have more than 1 tonight?

What? And drop the baby again?

(Sorry, Ned -- couldn't resist. I'm very glad to hear the baby is fine.)

Me? I'm having a margarita, just because I haven't had one in a while, and it sounded good. It is. I might have two, in fact.

I'm game for that. Here's a short list of flavors of the moment:

Barbancourt's 5 star or Appleton's. Curious about the dark Pryat

Gin of any kind

Aquavit: favorites are Linie or Aalborg's bottom of the line.

Cynar and its ilk.

Having cut up a slightly under-ripe papaya and left it to marinate in lime juice, a little sugar and mint for my still-sleeping wife, I found myself in the shower thinking that if I subbed white rum for papaya I'd have a mojito. One can go many places with this combo (lime juice, sugar and mint) and I'm pretty sure I like all of them.

Edited to add: How about we start with gin and call it the "Boodles Baby Drop"?

Edited by ned (log)

It's friday, way after 5, and I'm having a Hemingway daiquiri, because although I'm in San Francisco, it feels like I'm in Cuba (it's not supposed to get hot here, damn it!).

I'm game for that.  Here's a short list of flavors of the moment:

Barbancourt's 5 star or Appleton's.  Curious about the dark Pryat

Gin of any kind

Aquavit: favorites are Linie or Aalborg's bottom of the line.

Cynar and its ilk.

Edited to add: How about we start with gin and call it the "Boodles Baby Drop"?

Well, I experiemented a little with Cynar and Boodles, and have a starting point, at least.

1 1/2 oz. Boodles

1/2 oz. triple sec

1/2 oz. lemon juice

1/4 oz. Cynar

Shake over ice and serve up.

It's a little harder making time to mix drinks these days, so despite wanting to do it right away, I just finally got to mixing a BBD last night for me and the Mrs.. Liked it very much. Always have passed triple sec off as I don't know what, an unnecessary part of a margarita maybe. Now my interest in it is piqued. Anyway, subbed the milder Averna for Cynar (ran out of Cynar) to no ill effect and it looks like the Boodles Bay Drop will be a standard at our house.

Thanks JAZ.