• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Friday, it's after 5:00 and I think

ned

Craviation:

Gordon's gin

maraschino

dash yuzu

few dashes angostura bitters

splash of elderflower syrup

Served up with no garnish

Whoops. Needed that craviation

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Nationalista:

1 1/2 parts tequila

1 tuaca

1 cranberry

1 fresh lime

rim a cocktail glass with salt; serve up. garnish with lime.

(from "viva margarita" by w. park kerr)

or maybe, from the same book:

limonada blanca

2 parts tequila

1 1/2 parts lemon juice

1 part limoncello

teaspoon superfine sugar

serve in a highball glass and top with club soda, mint, and a lemon.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Another Friday: almost 5. Who else will add a drink?

I'll be having a seasonal (and probably from local fruit) cocktail at Blue Hill at Stone Barns this evening.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Apparently I'm going on an organized bar crawl tonight, but if I wasn't:

The As-Yet Unnamed:

Highball glass with ice

One "South of the Border" shooter Ciclon*

Good splash triple sec.

Good splash RealLime.

Fill with Coke.

Garnish with Bendy straw.

It's kind of like a Cuba Libre.

*A Bacardi product containing rum, tequila, and lime. Bacardi Select is good for this, too since yes, this is a take on a Cuba Libre.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

'Ti Punch for me tonight. Thats a squeeze of lime, a bit of Sirop de Canne Antillais, and a shot or so of white Rhum Agricole from Martinique, with some crushed ice on top.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Either a Banana daiquiri

rum, 2 bananas, a little lime juice, sugar syrup....

or a pina mango colada - gonna see how the new Dole Pineapple Mango juice works when added to the Coco Lopez...

After my first full day in XMhelL (:blink::wacko: You mean people do this for a living? Oh, wait...I'm one of 'em :huh:), make it a triple vodka and tonic. Vodka brand doesn't matter (Schmirnoff Red is what's on hand), Canada Dry Tonic, please, and about a quarter of a lime.

Edit: Make it a quadruple. :hmmm:

Edited by GG Mora (log)

I'll second Jason's ti punch, it doesn't have to be Friday or after five. Have you had your 'ti punch today. There is only one liability, according to the surgeon general: if you happen to enjoy the second ti puch so much that you drink a third, you may become very horny.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

a bit of Sirop de Canne Antillais

Qu'est-que c'est?

Sugar cane syrup found in the French Antilles made from slightly cooked sugar cane juice. Quite sweet and a golden color. Perfect for cocktails though raw brown sugar well dissolved will work in a pinch.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I'll be having a seasonal (and probably from local fruit) cocktail at Blue Hill at Stone Barns this evening.

Reporting back:

It was a cucumber-vodka martini. My friends had purple basil mojitos. MMMMMMM on both counts.

Where does one buy Sirop de Canne Antillais? I googled and came up emtpy.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

organized bar crawl

I believe that this may be one of the best examples of an oxymoron that I have ever read. :raz::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

organized bar crawl

I believe that this may be one of the best examples of an oxymoron that I have ever read. :raz::laugh:

No, seriously, it was this whole event. You paid $13 (When I first agreed to go, I was told it was going to be $5, then standing in line it became $10, then when we got to the counter it was $13 [if you didn't bring canned food]. Great.) for a wrist band that let you get into about a dozen places without paying a cover. Places that never usually have a cover, now. All for the privledge of having $2 Bud Lites and the occasional $3 shooter at a variety of mid-level venues

For the DC crew joining us in this thread we hit, in no particular order: Rumors, Recessions, Front Page (Think an organized bar crawl is bad? How about an organized bar crawl with a bathroom attendant), Sign of the Whale, Singapore Bistro*, Mackeys, and probably one or two other places whose names escape me. They all kind of run together into one medium-sized venue with a front and back bar, loud mid-90s era high school dance standards, and far, far too many people packed into one place.

* Despite my rational arguments, two friends had the sushi bento box special (it didn't come in a box). Nothing like sushi before a long night of drinking, eh?

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Reporting back:

It was a cucumber-vodka martini. My friends had purple basil mojitos. MMMMMMM on both counts.

Ed used to sell it at his Yahoo ecommerce site but he's out of stock on it.

http://store.yahoo.com/rhumsite/dosucasy1.html

The one he sold is made by Dormoy. Its also made by Clement a few other companies, but its extremely difficult to find in the US. Actually I am pretty sure it is unobtanium. Both of the two I have are produced on the island of Martinique. I bought the Clement stuff on St. Martin and the Dormoy stuff from Ed.

My understanding is that the British-Made product Lyle's Golden Syrup is similar to Sirop de Canne but I have never tried it. If you Froogle it you can get it fairly easily.

As Ed says, the product called Sugar In the Raw can be used in the place of Sirop de Canne. I've had it that way prepared on St. Martin.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Reporting back:

Ed used to sell it at his Yahoo ecommerce site but he's out of stock on it.

http://store.yahoo.com/rhumsite/dosucasy1.html

The one he sold is made by Dormoy. Its also made by Clement a few other companies, but its extremely difficult to find in the US. Actually I am pretty sure it is unobtanium. Both of the two I have are produced on the island of Martinique. I bought the Clement stuff on St. Martin and the Dormoy stuff from Ed.

My understanding is that the British-Made product Lyle's Golden Syrup is similar to Sirop de Canne but I have never tried it. If you Froogle it you can get it fairly easily.

As Ed says, the product called Sugar In the Raw can be used in the place of Sirop de Canne. I've had it that way prepared on St. Martin.

How would Sugar Shots compare?

Clear for white sugar uses

Golden for turbinado sugar uses

I know I've seen it at Williams Sonoma too because I picked the bottle up to look at it and thought about the various uses.

Cool product, Beans. When I run out of my stock of Sirop I'll have to try the stuff.

The syrups from Martinique are bottled by a couple of different bottlers, but there are only a couple of sources for sugar cane syrup because you have to have a sugar factory and there are only two on Martinique. Dormoy bottles for several brands.

I've tried several others in the states and am still looking. All of the sugar cane syrups I've found outside the French islnads have a molasses taste that detracts from the taste of the sugar cane.

Besides my favorite first drink of the day, sugar cane syrup is also used in cooking in the French islands.

As for sources, I'm working on it, but since shipping demands an importer bring a full container from Martinique to the US, it is going to take some doing. Also the label would have to be changed for US distribution. But patience will be rewarded.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Tonight, we'll be making a drink that blew me away at Bemelman's the other night, Audrey "Libation Goddess" Saunders' Earl Grey MarTEAni.

That sounds wonderful. I love Earl Grey tea. I'm not so crazy about foamy drinks, though -- what's the texture like? Does the egg white make the whole thing like a light mousse, or is it more subtle than that? With advance apologies to Audrey, could I make it without the egg white and get a good drink, or is the texture key?

Tonight, we'll be making a drink that blew me away at Bemelman's the other night, Audrey "Libation Goddess" Saunders' Earl Grey MarTEAni.

That sounds wonderful. I love Earl Grey tea. I'm not so crazy about foamy drinks, though -- what's the texture like? Does the egg white make the whole thing like a light mousse, or is it more subtle than that? With advance apologies to Audrey, could I make it without the egg white and get a good drink, or is the texture key?

Hmmm... Hard to say. The foam more or less rises to the top of the drink -- so it doesn't stay foamy throughout. I have to think that the egg white also adds some silkyness to the mouthfeel.

--

Spent the evening last Friday in Kerhonksen Ny, knocking out friends and family with Appleton's rum and tonics. Today, back in NYC it's rum (more Appleton's) and cokes.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"