• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Friday, it's after 5:00 and I think

ned

I'm sipping a Limonrita. Tequila, Limoncello, a tiny splash of Grand Marnier and some sour mix shaken like someone you loathe. Pretty tasty and defintely having the desired sedative effect.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd revive this old thread... although it's 3:00 on a Sunday. Since it is 80 degrees and sunny here in Phoenix today, I mixed myself a frosty pineapple margarita, made with my El Tesoro anejo that's been infusing in pineapple chunks, piloncillo sugar, and vanilla bean for the last 3 months. Huzzah to an Indian summer!

"It's 5:00 somewhere..." what are you drinking?

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

It actually is Friday after five, and since I finally bought found some bergamot oranges, I'm having a Friday After Five, created by Trillium. I tried a version with a "faux" sour orange juice mixture when I first read about it, but the bergamot juice takes the drink to a new level.

I was going to finally try a Blinker, having obtained raspberry syrup two weeks ago and forgotten to buy a grapefruit, and having obtained a grapefruit last week and forgotten I had it. However, I discovered that the wretched bottle of raspberry syrup had a dent in the cap and the safety button popped up. :angry: I should have known that it was a bad sign that I had to climb up on the supermarket shelf and rummage around behind all the bottles of strawberry and boysenberry syrup. :hmmm:

So, I'm consoling myself with an Aviation. :smile:

I got them directly from Greenleaf, a wholesaler that Trillium recommended. You have to go there (it's down in the wholesale produce market on Jerrold -- off Bayshore), and be sure to call ahead to place an order.

one part vodka

one part guavaberry liquer from St Martin (guava berries are not from guava fruit, but some kind of tropical berry)

two parts plum juice drink

ice

in a tall glass

sweet enough that it slips right down, and then kicks you in the head

if I waited 10 minutes more, I won't be able to spell

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Dirty Gib

2 pts Miller's gin

1 pt Noilly Prat vermouth

splash from jar of Vietnamese pickled leeks

shaken and served up

garnished with 3 pickled leeks

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 5 months later...

Picon punch and sit in the sun.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Started with Pastis, moved on to a bottle of Super Bock beer from Portugal, some Pooles Rock Firestick Chard from Oz with dinner and now finishing a glass of Frescobaldi Nipozano CCR 2001 I openned yesterday.

Working tomorrow so no Scotch tonight.

Cheers, Steve

slowfood/slowwine

• 2 weeks later...

it ain't friday but tonight was our first fully settled evening in the new apartment so cocktails away.

i had a negroni - i'd only read about these before so without any baseline to compare, I think it was exceptionally good, 1:1:1 campari:martini&rosso vermouth:blackstone gin with an orange twist. It was bitter refreshing sweet herbal pungent complex intense and ultimately very refreshing drink. somewhere between a manhattan and a campari soda i suppose, i think a lot of blackstones subtlety got overwhelmed and if we still had something more juniper-y i'd give that a go. the negroni of june 14 will henceforth be the baseline.

mrs. homer had a G&T with a splash of ouzo which gave it the slightest milkiness.

good drinks for watching a serious thunderstorm unfold

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

• 4 months later...

Decided I was in the mood for a Sour last night. I thought I remembered that Whiskey Sours had egg whites sometimes and had some left over from doughnuts, so I put one in.

1 1/2 ounces Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon

1/2 tsp. simple syrup

juice of 1/2 small lemon

1 egg white

Dash Angostora Bitters

Combine in an iced cocktail shaker and shake, shake, shake!

This was my first time trying a cocktail with egg whites. Boy does it give the cocktail a neat texture and rich flavor.

Discovered today what I made was a "Boston Sour".

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Tonight, we'll be making a drink that blew me away at Bemelman's the other night, Audrey "Libation Goddess" Saunders' Earl Grey MarTEAni.

That sounds wonderful. I love Earl Grey tea. I'm not so crazy about foamy drinks, though -- what's the texture like? Does the egg white make the whole thing like a light mousse, or is it more subtle than that? With advance apologies to Audrey, could I make it without the egg white and get a good drink, or is the texture key?

Hmmm... Hard to say. The foam more or less rises to the top of the drink -- so it doesn't stay foamy throughout. I have to think that the egg white also adds some silkyness to the mouthfeel.

And don't forget the froth, with egg whites make sure you use really cold, fresh ice and a jackhammer shake. There should be a cold souffle on top of that drink.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

...Monkey Glands, as gin is cheap, I have some homemade grenadine to work through, I never use that damn Pernod, and I seem to have come across a steady supply of free oranges. :)

"Monkey Gland"

2 ounces gin

1/2 ounce orange juice

1/2 ounce grenadine

Several dashes of Pernod

Shake and strain.

Edited by mbanu (log)

• 5 months later...

At about 7 o'clock last night (Friday, after 5 — hence the bump on this thread) I tried The Brooklyn Cocktail.

gallery_2325_289_14070.jpg

I used the recipe from CocktailDB.

Too bitter.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Last night I finally got around to trying a concoction Alchemist had suggested to me in another thread:

2.0 oz aged rum

.75 oz fresh lime

.50 curacao

One barspoon Orgeat

This was quite tasty and refreshing. In fact, I had two! :biggrin:

The Appleton V/X I have in the house worked fine. I'm certain this drink would be even better with some really well aged rum in it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol