• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crimes Against Alcohol

Chef Shogun

i drink ketel if i can get it because i feel infinitely better the next morning than if i drink call liquor.

I don't think anyone -- certainly not me -- is arguing that there aren't notable differences between >$17/L quality vodkas and ~$5/L rotgut vodkas, even in cocktails. The question is whether it is worth the money to use $27/L Ketel One in a cocktail or mixed drink instead of a less expensive "vodka of quality" like Luksusowa at $17/L (I actually get this for around $13/L by buying 1.75L for $23).

--

AND! Spelling! It is not Jaeger! It is Jäger! :biggrin:

Beans, those of us lacking an umlaut option on our keyboards *are* spelling it correctly............those two dots *are* an "e"........the cloistered monks were trying to cut down on the amount of vellum they used, and so put "e"s above the other vowels. :wink:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Most revolting drink is lager and tomato juice. Looks like vomit and tastes much the same

Does anybody actually drink this, for any other reason than on a dare?

Hells yeah! It's called a redeye.

We used to drink them all the time when we were down the shore. Gotta use cheap beer, though; we used to use either rock, yuengling premium, or pabst.

You can drink it all day if you want, and you never get trashed, and you don't get hung over. Because, you see, the tomato juice makes drinking beer good for you.

hm, it's July 4, and it's after noon... maybe I'll have one now.

Most revolting drink is lager and tomato juice. Looks like vomit and tastes much the same

Does anybody actually drink this, for any other reason than on a dare?

Hells yeah! It's called a redeye.

We used to drink them all the time when we were down the shore. Gotta use cheap beer, though; we used to use either rock, yuengling premium, or pabst.

My regulars that drank them used the Pacific Northwest equivalent to Pabst -- Olympia. :biggrin: They were a bit of a hangover fix and we had Bloody Mary mix, plain tomato juice and V8 to suit their preferences if I remember correctly!

Hells yeah!  It's called a redeye.

We used to drink them all the time when we were down the shore.  Gotta use cheap beer, though; we used to use either rock, yuengling premium, or pabst.

My regulars that drank them used the Pacific Northwest equivalent to Pabst -- Olympia. :biggrin: They were a bit of a hangover fix and we had Bloody Mary mix, plain tomato juice and V8 to suit their preferences if I remember correctly!

Olympia would be perfect for them.

The thing is, you use cheap beer because tomato juice or V8 is strongly flavored enough that it basically covers the taste of the beer. It's like having a slightly fizzy, slightly alcoholic glass of tomato juice. It makes things right with the world.

OK I'm exaggerating. But it really does work well for those beach-related, all-day drinkin sessions.

Edited to say that I can't believe we're discussing a redeye in the "fine spirits and cocktails" forum. I guess it could qualify as a cocktail of some sort, but fine? never.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

OK I'm exaggerating.  But it really does work well for those beach-related, all-day drinkin sessions.

I see. "The right tool for every job."

Well, you've never steered me wrong before: when I head up to Maine at the end of the month, for my marathon weekend of drinking, guns and fireworks, I'll give redeye a try.

worst thing i've ever seen is someone ordering a bottle of cristal then requesting shot glasses and archers peach schnapps in order to do the bottle as shots.

the things you'll let customers get away with on quiet nights just before you close.........

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

I think this might qualify as a crime against alcohol:

a mojito made with dried mint from a McCormick's shaker. :shock:

It was scary. The spouse's verdict: "tastes like nettles."

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

i like beefeater

tend to think of it as a gin drinkers gin

bombay sapphire is a little lighter on the juniper and heavier on citrus

i use beefeater as our house gin

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

Americans order Jager because it's the pretty much the only acceptable easy drinking "shooter" besides tequila and soco/lime.

We're not gonna celebrate a joyous occasion before tearing up the dance floor by ordering Manhattans.

We're not gonna celebrate a joyous occasion before tearing up the dance floor by ordering Manhattans.

Really? I would. What's so celebratory about pounding down an ounce and a half of booze? That just seems indicative of a philosophy that says, "celebration = getting drunk." For me, that's something I got bored with around Sophomore year of college. This is not to say, of course, that intoxication isn't sometimes the result of my celebration -- just that it's never the point or the goal of my celebration.

I must admit, however, that most "shooters" are entirely lost on me. The idea generally seems to be: "get that booze into my bloodstream as quickly and painlessly as possible." I can't think of any liquor I'd want to drink that had to be consumed by gulping it down all in one go.

--

It was probably about senior year for me by the time I grew out of the Jaeger, keg-killer, tequila shooter phase of "celebrations". I'll confess to many sins against alcohol, although this one is the worst <hanging head in shame>:

My family usually gets together with some neighboring families for the big holidays. They're generally very fun, lots of good food, spirits, and conversation. One Christmas, after dessert, my neighbor cohort and I slipped into the dining room after everyone else had retired to gab in the living room. We had enjoyed the vintage port Dad had served, and wanted a little more. Our college brains being what they were, we decided that shots would be a better way of consuming said port. Hands-free shots, no less, where you get your mouth around the outside of the shot glass and throw it back. After a while, the family notices that cohort and I are having a jolly time in the dining room, and come to inspect. Dad appeared more distressed than we had expected.

Dad: "Do you see the date on the bottle? That's how old it is."

Me: "Oh. Wow. That's older than me." (a 1960-something vintage)

Dad: "Yes."

We had done shots with about 3/4 of the bottle. Dad still brings it up whenever we drink port (even though it was almost 15 years ago), and my appreciation of the crime has only increased over time.

Thankfully, we all grow up sometime! :laugh:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I have trouble with shooters, especially those made with things like Bailey's, Chambord or Grand Marnier. Why would I want to gulp down something that expensive and fattening? It seems like a huge waste.

We also had a number of parties for recording types and, being in Atlanta, that meant "rap" & "hip hop" which meant that we would bring the cognac list to the table and return w/ Hines & Coke or Martel & Sprite or an XO & ginger ale.

On a drink menu at a Las Vegas restaurant, Louis XIII is offered at $150/ounce. Alternatively, the "Bling Bling" is also available for the same price, which includes the same one ounce of Louis XIII, with the addition of Grand Marnier and other ingredients I blocked from my memory.

• 1 month later...

My roommates went to the local ABC to buy stuff for this party tonight. Decent spread, actually....big step up from parties of the past. Makes me wonder who-all is paying for it :rolleyes: .

The list includes, and this is why I'm I'm this thread, a bottle of scorpion vodka. On one hand, I'm curious to try. On the other, it probably just takes like vodka with a dead freakin' scorpion in it. Maybe this is one for the infusing boards, but what type of scorpion do you generally use for this stuff? They have them at Whole Foods, or is this one for the farmer's market? Rounding out the novelty beverages for the evening we have everybodies favorite, Hypnotiq, and some RemyRed.

-- C.S.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 5 months later...
Tess,

All booze is fattening.  :wink:

Actually, not quite true. While it does contain "empty" calories, high-alcohol content drinks with less sugar (or cream for that matter), like whiskey or vodka straight up, will actually lower your bloodsugar and help you absorb carbohydrates more slowly, thus avoiding turning them into fat. (Maybe this is why they get served as apperitifs?) Or so my diabetic aunt claims when I ask her what she would like to drink. White wine, no no. Bookers--that she'll drink.

As for crimes against booze, I think we can all agree that if we can ever get an international tribunal organized on this, we can get Hiram Walker's CEO sentanced to death.

LindyCat, I'll have to run that by my doctor friend (who also happens to be diabetic) -- but it doesn't ring true to me.

Me neither. Perhaps people get that impression because booze before or with a meal can kill your appetite so you wind up eating less. Overall, though, it's still "bad carbs" and still fattening.

Looking at what got this train of thought started, of course I agree with the person who said all booze is fattening, but I stand by my remark that pounding a drink with Bailey's and sweet liqueur in it is a humongous waste of calories. A nice coktail or a glass of wine? Not such a big waste.

It really depends on the drink. Your body metabolizes alcohol before any other fuel source. If you are drinking drinks high in sugar, fat, and alcohol (or alcohol and either of the others) then you have a ton of empty calories (the sugar and the fat) that your body will not burn off until after the alcohol calories are gone, and so a lot of the extra stuff gets stored as fat.

If you are drinking straight alcohol, like almost any 80 proof plus spirit, (all of which are sugar, carb, and fat free, special flavored drinks like Bacardi 'O' being an exception) then your body simply has to burn off the alcohol before going back to burning off body fat or whatever was in your stomach again. Of course, eating while drunk is also pretty bad form a weight-loss perspective.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide