• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beastie Boys Fans of Sara Moulton

Bond Girl

Yeah, who knew Sara was so Fly?

(dear God, I feel so white, old and self-conscious even typing that :rolleyes:)

Chad

word. sara gets mad props. (ok, now i'm done with the 80s hiphop lingo)

maybe.

I agree Sara seems to get no respect compared to the more flashy FoodTV chefs, but I think her shows are the most informative. What's up with pushing her out of the 7pm block anyway? She's only on during the day lately.

Maybe the hip hop connection explains her fondness for Converse high tops. She is waaay Fly

"Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I ate the chicken and then I ate the egg"BB

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Apparently, the Beastie Boys reference to Sara is a shout out to her Baked Alaska.

Chad

OK, I was able to check the lyrics/liner notes, and in the lyrics it does indeed mention Baked Alaska, and includes a footnote to check out Sara Moulton's recipe on FN's website.

I listened to the cd on the way to work, and since I have a fairly long commute I was able to listen to most of it. Also included are references to Steak-Ummms (my dad used to make these for dinner when mom worked 2nd shift at the battery factory, very nostalgic), peas, gorgonzola and another cheese (maybe cheddar...), stuffing (also referenced on Paul's Boutique) and about a million more. This has as many food references as Paul's Boutique has weed references.

I like Sara Moulton too, even more now that I saw that pic of her with Fab 5 Freddy (before I mostly liked her because she seemed really nice and she is as messy in the kitchen as I am).

Gourmet Anarchy

Lots and lots of food references on this disc. Here's a shout-out to my favorite Bleecker Street cheese emporium, from "Oh Word?":

Listen up biters go please stop

While I'm politicin' at Murray's Cheese Shop

Believe what you heard when you talk

My name is Adrock made in New York

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

They also had a song called egg man.....

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.

:laugh:

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

A little digging reveals that Sara's husband is Bill Adler, a record company exec, gallery owner and hip-hop pioneer. He's also the author of Tougher Than Leather: The Rise of Run DMC.
When Russell Simmons hired him as Director of Publicity for Rush Artist Management and Def Jam Recordings in 1984, Bill became Russell’s second full-time employee. During the next six years he worked with Kurtis Blow, Whodini, Run-DMC, Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde, the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Slick Rick,Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim, Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, Stetsasonic, De La Soul, the Jungle Brothers, 3rd Bass, and others.

Weird, no? But it certainly makes the Beastie Boys/Sara Moulton connection a little clearer.

For a very cool shot of Sara Moulton and rap legend Fab 5 Freddy, click here and scroll down.

Chad

Dayyummm!!!

Sara be HYPE!!!

Really, her 'Cooking Live' show was one of my faves.

And, boy, is she petite!

I saw her crossing 23rd st. going into a Burritoville when I lived there once and I could not believe how short she is.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm a shortie too.

Love the Reunite on ice ref!

The Beastie Boys rule!

2317/5000

This isn't every reference, just the ones I had on hand:

You know i get paid

Like caprese and with the basil

Not goofy like darren or hazel

Some call it salugi

Some hot potato

I'm an iron chef when I slice and dice

We be grillin' cheese and flippin' flapjacks

Then we will have no alternative but to serve you

on a platter like Steak'Em

With the cornbread stuffin' with the Blimpie Bluffin

Mother fuckin' Yosi with the goddamn muffins

Hey could you please pass me the peas

Simmer in the pan 'cause, I ain't flashin'

Serving MC's on a platter like baked Alaskan

Known for my spiel like wheelie one wheel

'Cause this is like having a delicious meal

I am

Adrock a.k.a sharp cheddar

On a hot day sip on iced latte

The truth is brutal your grandma's kugel

Yo what the schnitzel we're back

What the ponytail, I don't eat snail

Yo what the parsley, parsley to the teeth

Yo what the talafel you gotta get up awful

While I'm politicin' at Murray's Cheese Shop

Now pass the wok 'cause I'm cookin'

Like a snow day for school with hot cocoa

...Beer drinking

Breath stinking

Sniffing glue...

Although this is kind of a weak food reference it does sound like a pretty good time.

Should the sig be 'Fitty Dahla'? :biggrin:

2317/5000

Still didn't hear the Sara Moulton shout-out, but I will venture to say that this Beastie Boys album has more food and cooking references on it than any of their previous work.

I'm going to make an unscientific guess and say 3 or 4 a song!

:shock:

as they got older they stopped singing about women, well as much as they did at least. so i say: what's left to sing about? :biggrin:

"Sometimes I like to brag, sometimes I’m soft-spoken. But when I’m in Holland I eat the pannenkoeken."

That is one of my all-time favorites.

Then he says: the world is the spice, you bring the sauce. And you can kiss my ass, you funky boss.

If the Beastie Boys did a Q&A on eG, I would freak out.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Not meaning to take anything away from the Beasties, but there are many, many Hip Hop albums with lots of food references. I'm willing to bet you could pick pretty much any one at random and find a few. Rappers seem to like their food. I guess it's a part of the bling bling lifestyle.

Of course, this love of food can backfire....Big Pun RIP :sad:

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

Not meaning to take anything away from the Beasties, but there are many, many Hip Hop albums with lots of food references. I'm willing to bet you could pick pretty much any one at random and find a few. Rappers seem to like their food. I guess it's a part of the bling bling lifestyle.

Of course, this love of food can backfire....Big Pun RIP :sad:

Yeah, Blackalicious has a few (one of my fave rhymes ever is "Who cut the provolone? Government officials put taps on my mobile phone), but the Beasties have an unusual number. I listen to the "urban station" :rolleyes: and I can attest to the fact that they have more food refs than anyone around. Now if you start getting into some funk and R&B, James Brown sings about food quite a bit as well.

The pannenkoeken line is great. I'd forgotten about that one.

From Hello Nasty: I'm the Benihana chef on the SP12, I chop the f*ck out the beats left on the shelf

Also uses croquette in a rhyme. Who the hell else would rhyme anything with croquette?

It's funny...their albums are totally soundtracks to my overindulgences. License to Ill was the soundtrack to my year of heavy drinking (also known as Freshman year), Paul's Boutique to a couple of years spent doing some serious smoking , and now I guess To the 5 Boroughs will accompany my food obsessive years. Gotta be abusing some substance, eh?

And um, Mike D :wub: After all, he is a Scorpio. I would die if we could get them on here.

Gourmet Anarchy