• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beastie Boys Fans of Sara Moulton

Bond Girl

A rather unlikely combination but in the Beastie Boys' newly release CD "To the 5 Boroughs" there is a tribute to Sara Mouton. Apparently Adam "ad-Rock" Horovitz is a bg food TV fan. Does anyone has the CD?

Source: Bullfrog and Baum Press release

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I haven't heard it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me - after all, this is the band that once rapped -

"The Paper The News With Ernie Ernesto

They'll Even Print My Recipe For Pasta With Pesto

Now Here's Another Special Of The Day -

I've Got More Spice Than The Frugal Gourmet"

Edit: This was before Mr. Gourmets problems with the law of course :unsure:

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

"Hot cup of coffee and the donuts are Dunkin'

Friday night and Jamaica Queens funkin'

Went from the station straight to Orange Julius

Bought a hot dog from my man George Drakoulias"

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I have the CD. I can't think of the Moulton reference right off the top of my head, but MCA also raps about Chefs and food several times.

The BBoys rap about food quite a lot!

Sitting on the couch with Adrock, watching the Food Network . . . :wub:

Noise is music. All else is food.

So. Who are they?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

So. Who are they?

Jinmyo, you don't know who the Beastie Boys are? Have you been sequestered somewhere for years? :wink:

I can't explain them sufficiently on a food board. They're a lot of fun.

But--

I just ran some errands on the subway and I was listening to the new CD. Still didn't hear the Sara Moulton shout-out, but I will venture to say that this Beastie Boys album has more food and cooking references on it than any of their previous work.

I'm going to make an unscientific guess and say 3 or 4 a song!

:shock:

My favorite so far:

"I'm a mad chef when I slice and dice,

Please pass me the Riunite on ice."

That's Adrock.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Come on...there are so many more...

"...I like my sugar with coffee and cream"

&

"If you try to knock me you'll get rocked, I'll stir fry you in my WOK"

Peace,

Ore

I was actually singing those two in my head when I scroled down and read them. Let's not forget that time honored lyric "we got the bottle, you got the cup, come on everybody lets get FFFFF". Even though they are talking more about drink than food.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Thanks, Andrew.

I'd be more likely to have heard of them if they had released a definitive verson of Das Lied von der Erde or played back-up to Eric Clapton or something.

I'm not so hep to this hippity-hoppity thing.

Word.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

was it a tribute to the Beatles' "I am the Walrus"?

Maybe they were inspired by the Beatles. One of the lyrics end with "left the man standing with an egg mustache (sp)"

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

The Beastie Boys are most definitely Beatles fans, although not on the basis of "Egg Man," which is literally about going around town, pelting different people with eggs, ultimately (it's true, listen to the song!) in order to fight racism.

But another tune on Paul's Boutique is put together out of a string of Beatles samples and they have a comedy tune called "Cookie Puss" that's a tribute to the Beatles' "You Know My Name, Look Up the Number."

Edit: also, didn't they record a cover of "I'm Down" that they couldn't release because Michael Jackson wouldn't allow it?

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Sweet and sour like a tangerine

Fresh like a box of Krispy Kreme

I'm intercontinental when I eat french toast

Then there's the crude Richard Pryor sample that mentions mashed potatoes (from BBoys (makin' with the freak-freak) from Ill Communication)...but that's not so much about eating mashed potatoes...

The new album is good, btw. Husband has it today so I can't check for Sara Mouton refs, but my fave line is also the one about Reiunite on Ice. Mostly because it's the only one I can remember.

Gourmet Anarchy

And oh yeah...

MikeD with the bad breath---ONION RINGS

Ugh. If only I could free up the part of my brain that could memorize Conway Twitty songs and food references in Beastie Boys lyrics I would rule the world.

Though I guess with all the weed they used to smoke, there would be a desire for munchies. I've heard they're no longer smoking (or that MCA isn't anymore), but I'm glad to see their love for food has not diminished.

Gourmet Anarchy

A little digging reveals that Sara's husband is Bill Adler, a record company exec, gallery owner and hip-hop pioneer. He's also the author of Tougher Than Leather: The Rise of Run DMC.

When Russell Simmons hired him as Director of Publicity for Rush Artist Management and Def Jam Recordings in 1984, Bill became Russell’s second full-time employee. During the next six years he worked with Kurtis Blow, Whodini, Run-DMC, Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde, the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Slick Rick,Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim, Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, Stetsasonic, De La Soul, the Jungle Brothers, 3rd Bass, and others.

Weird, no? But it certainly makes the Beastie Boys/Sara Moulton connection a little clearer.

For a very cool shot of Sara Moulton and rap legend Fab 5 Freddy, click here and scroll down.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

A little digging reveals that Sara's husband is Bill Adler, a record company exec, gallery owner and hip-hop pioneer. He's also the author of Tougher Than Leather: The Rise of Run DMC.
When Russell Simmons hired him as Director of Publicity for Rush Artist Management and Def Jam Recordings in 1984, Bill became Russell’s second full-time employee. During the next six years he worked with Kurtis Blow, Whodini, Run-DMC, Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde, the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Slick Rick,Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim, Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, Stetsasonic, De La Soul, the Jungle Brothers, 3rd Bass, and others.

Weird, no? But it certainly makes the Beastie Boys/Sara Moulton connection a little clearer.

For a very cool shot of Sara Moulton and rap legend Fab 5 Freddy, click here and scroll down.

Chad

Great find! I did not know this, Thanks.

A little digging reveals that Sara's husband is Bill Adler, a record company exec, gallery owner and hip-hop pioneer. He's also the author of Tougher Than Leather: The Rise of Run DMC

Chad

Sara Moulton doesn't get anywhere near the respect she's due, compared to other Food Network hosts.

What an interesting person she must be?

SB (thanx for the research, Chad)