• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO barramundi in Austin

nacho

Hi All,

When I was in Oz (specifically, Sydney) a few years ago, barramundi was served at many restaurants, and I remember being impressed with it. However, I seem to have forgotten exactly what it was that made it so good, so I'm trying to track it down in Austin. I plan on searching this weekend at Quality Seafood and at Central Market to see if they have any. Does anyone know if either of these places carry it, or any other place I should check?

Also, has anyone else had barramundi and care to share their thoughts on the fish?

Cheers,

Nacho

I looked in my two print sources: Ann Clark's Fabulous Fish and James Peterson's Fish & Shellfish - neither list the barramundi. I suspect that you won't find it in Austin, even frozen. It appears to be local to down under....

I found this on the barramundi. I had heard of it from some Australian friends but I don't think I have ever seen it here. I haven't really looked at some of our larger Asian markets that have an incredible range of frozen seafood. Reading that link, it is not clear if there is a really big commercial market for it. The range of the fish is such that it would necessarily be a frozen import.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Check the link above. It isn't shark unless someone is hijacking the name.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm embarrased to say I completely forgot to hunt for this fish this past weekend. I must have seen something shiny and gotten distracted :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice on the Asian markets, too. Hadn't thought of that, even though I enjoy shopping at them. Do you have any favorites in Austin? I've been in several around town, but the strong fishy smell that comes from the ones I've visited has usually kept me from buying any of their seafood.

Cheers,

Shawn

(aka Nacho)

My bad!

I'm not sure it is your bad. I think I read somewhere that some folks were trying to sell shark as barramundi, thinking us yanks wouldn't know the difference. Hell, they were probably right. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Barramundi are protoandrous hermaphrodites: they start life as males, reaching maturity at around 3 to 4 years of age and later change gender and become females, usually at around age 5.

Cool. Its the Boy George of Fish!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Barramundi are protoandrous hermaphrodites: they start life as males, reaching maturity at around 3 to 4 years of age and later change gender and become females, usually at around age 5.

Cool. Its the Boy George of fish!

*mopping up Shiraz spit*

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

There was an attempt to build a barramundi farm in New York, but weather conditions and the barra's tendency to be verocious feeders balked that. It is now out of season (here in the States), but about 3 months ago, when they were in season, they were about $10 a # thru certain purvayors. Barra is a great tasting fish, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Here's a link that might help to get some...

Aussie fish