• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Livingston Strip Mall Fire

MsSumida

Yesterday afternoon, on South Livingston Ave., Bill and Harry's caught fire. Also destroyed was Chicken Nest, Dunkin Donuts, Crest Florist, Livingston Camera as well as some other small offices and stores. Bottle King was not harmed.

Chicken Nest always had great chicken, sandwiches, and salads. I'm sorry to see it closed. From what i've heard, the entire wing of that strip mall will have to be torn down.

http:/www.etuinc.com

WOW. :shock: Hopefully nobody was hurt--that's a really congested mall with stuff up above, if I remember correctly.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

No, that's the other (BEST) Bill & Harry's...there are actually three of them (or there were)--the one in E. Hanover (did I mention it's the BEST?), the one in Livingston which I'm pretty sure was only takeout or maybe 2-3 tables, and one in Maplewood. At one time, they were all under the same owner, but I think Maplewood and Livingston had been separate from E. Hanover for many years--as in, over a decade.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Okay, so you have more info on the separation than I do, Rachel! No surprise. :-)

But when I'm out in Mo Co and want something quick, particularly on a cold winter day when a lunch special from B&H hits the spot, I love popping in there. The waiter STILL recognizes me and greets me like it's old home week--and I haven't lived out there in 8 years!

Farmers market will still be there on Thursdays until Oct. A new one has been added on Mondays in the parking lot at Livingston Mall , lower level by Macy's.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!