• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marcona almonds

Hello,

I am in love with Marcona almonds and would like some information on them. I first encountered them in a Portland restaurant and now purchase them in Seattle. I know nothing about their origin, except they are from Spain.

Is there a specific region they grow in, in Spain? Why can i only buy them blanched and whole?

Why are they so expensive?

Why have I only just heard of them? Are they used extensively in the cooking of Spain? How are they used, mostly?

Any help?

Shelora

We just discovered these also--and have been serving them with aperatifs. Delicious.

Here's another egullet thread with some additional info--marcona almonds

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The variety of almond marcona is the autochthonous one of the Mediterranean area, in Spain is found in Southern Catalonia, Catellón, Valencia and Northern Alicante. This variety needs very specifics weather and care conditions. It has been used since the 14th century for elaborating marzipans, turrones (Fudges).. of the highest quality.

It is very expensive even in Spain and you can find it blanched, as a whole, raw, fried...

I've seen that it's been cultivated lately in Argentina.

Edited by Rogelio (log)
Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

I was totally unaware of this variety of almond and didn't even recognize it as an almond for sure when I first saw it because of the shape, but they started showing up all over the place on our last trip to Spain. That we were in Alicante and Valencia would explain most of it. I suppose the rest is explained by the fact we frequented some upscale bars. Then again, with the price of gambas rojas from Denia, they can afford to throw in some top quality almonds. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The heart-shaped marcona is certainly Spain's best almond variety. But others trail it by a hair's breadth and have their own fans. The long, pointy, very hard and tasty largueta might be the next one to make a name for itself, who knows...

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Many thanks for all the great info. It is strange that has only just emerged on the market. I have still to find a Canadian distributor for them.

How perishable do you think they are? Last time I purchased them in Seattle, I urged the employees to keep them in the fridge instead of on the shelves.

I've just found out they do sell them fried and salted in the package, but wouldn't they be tastier done just before eating them?

Thanks for the links as well.

Crack cocaine of the nut world, you say? Indeed. Can I use that?

S