• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tour de France

map

We are hosting a dinner for a few friends on July 21st all of whom are very keen followers of Le Tour. Other than Gateaux Paris-Brest we have drawn a blank on cycling related menu items......any ideas please.

Ah what a delicious question. I don't know of another dish named for a race although I do recall a dessert made in honor of the Giro.

For the wine, the tour goes through so many magnificent regions, but despite those, I'd have to go with the most stunning view year in and year out and serve a Côtes du Ventoux, although I suppose that since on the 21st, the time trial will go up the Alpe d'Huez, you might try a wine from the surrounding vineyards.

That day, if Lance hasn't already gotten out in front in the Pyrenees, he'll sew it up in the time trial, so some Texas food would not be inappropriate.

In honor of the 8th stage, ending in Quimper, some L'Aven-Belon oysters.

The last day always starts somewhere in the ile de France, sometimes in Meaux, so some Brie de Meaux.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

L'esprit de l'escalier:

After the brie, mirror the last day's stage (Montereau to the Champs-Élysées) with coffee and St. Louis sugar, in honor of Montereau and the Générale Sucrière, accompanied by Madeleines, whose non-Proustian Place de la is only a few meters from the Place de la Concorde.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

How about taking a colour theme reflecting the different jerseys? Yellow, green and then something red and white for the king of the mountains.

In honour of the cyclists who can't actually eat enough carbohydrates during the period, I think you should also be serving pasta...

The 10th stage starts in Limoges. You could go out and buy new plates in honor of the occasion. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

That day, if Lance hasn't already gotten out in front in the Pyrenees, he'll sew it up in the time trial, so some Texas food would not be inappropriate.

Be prepared for alternatives to Brisquet. Sauerkraut (Jan Ulrich), Basque tapas (Iban Mayo), ossobuco (Ivan Basso). What region is Taylor Hamilton coming from?

I supect this on is going to be the toughest "Grand Boucle" for Lance of all six. Last year already, without the terrible tactical blunders by Ulrich ... The peloton is pretty equilibrated these days.

I suggest a menu all in yellow. Risotto milanese, yellow zuchinis, ananas, yellow peppers, pommes frites, omelette, cordon bleu ( :smile: ), curry and so on.

I'm inspired here by visits to the Giro d'Italia, where whole Italian towns are drowning in pink, the colour of the leader jersey in that race.

BTW I'm closely following this race for more than 30 years now.

As for the great winners, I liked all of them: Eddy "le cannibale" Merckx, Bernard "le blaireau" Hinault, Miguel "Miguelon" Indurain, Lance "le Texan" Armstrong, but equally the van Impes, the Thevenets, the Zoetemelks, the Roches, the LeMonds, the Delgados, the Rijs, the Ulrichs, whoever. I used to climb some of the "Giants" of the Alps with my bycicle, you know. Ahhhh, c'est dur, ça.

Vive le Tour!

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I forgot. The saddle should be served in tandem with (yellow) Jersey Royals.

The only cocktail I can find is Velocity (slice of orange, 2 x Italian vermoth, 1 x gin) but Lance should look out for the Rusty Nail.

Best wishes,

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

Be prepared for alternatives to Brisquet. Sauerkraut (Jan Ulrich), Basque tapas (Iban Mayo), ossobuco (Ivan Basso). What region is Taylor Hamilton coming from?

Don't forget increasing participation by South Americans, particularly Columbians, I believe. It might take a bit of last minute adjustment, but you could do an international menu arranging courses in order of national leader standings. It might require brisket as a first course. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Since we're on a cycling theme...

I'm taking part in l'Etape du Tour this year - where approx 8000 amateur cyclists get to do one of the toughest stages a few days before the tour passes through. This year it's the stage from Limoges to St Flour. I'm already getting panic palpitations just thinking about it.

It's weird how epic cycling totally changes your relationship with food. It suddenly just becomes fuel, and you can never get enough of it. You lose all sense of decorum at the feeding stations, trying to stuff as much cheese, cake, bread, tomatoes, bananas - anything that comes to hand - as quickly into your mouth as possible. Preferably simultaneously!

What region is Taylor Hamilton coming from?

Tyler Hamilton is from Marblehead, Massachusetts. They may not go over well with the French palate, but fried Ipswich clams and Boston baked beans would be appropriate.

Tyler's really going to be one to watch this year. Let's not forget the he placed 4th overall in the 2003 Tour, even after breaking his collarbone in the Stage 1 crash...and so riding compromised for the entire Tour.

What region is Taylor Hamilton coming from?

Tyler Hamilton is from Marblehead, Massachusetts. They may not go over well with the French palate, but fried Ipswich clams and Boston baked beans would be appropriate..

"Taylor" Hamilton , Texan "Brisquet". Oh my! (blunders)

They may not go over well with the French palate

Don't mind about the French palate. It's 1986, when Hinault was the last Frenchman winning the Tour.

Tyler's really going to be one to watch this year

I know. He's racing for the only Swiss pro team :smile:

I'd say chances are 40% Lance, 35% Jan and 25% Tyler.

So brisket, sauerkraut and Ipswich clams are fix. Only flexibilty wrt. the serving sequence is required. :biggrin:

BTW, a somewhat dégoutant menu would include blood sausage (blood exchange) and growth hormone beef.

Edited by Boris_A (log)

I'd say chances are 40% Lance, 35% Jan and 25% Tyler.

So brisket, sauerkraut and Ipswich clams are fix. Only flexibilty wrt. the serving sequence is required. :biggrin:

:laugh:

Curious that Phonak, the Swiss team, is comprised mostly of Spaniards. To truly honor Hamilton, perhaps one should serve a nice bundesfleisch (sp?) paella. :wacko:

Edited by GG Mora (log)

Curious that Phonak, the Swiss team, is comprised mostly of Spaniards. To truly honor Hamilton, perhaps one should serve a nice bundesfleisch (sp?) paella.  :wacko:

Ah, now it's my turn: Bündnerfleisch.

Really great suggestion:

Paella with Ipswich clams and Bündnerfleisch. Bon appétit bien sur!

Technically, that's fusion, no? :raz::biggrin:

It's quite normal for us to have that level of internationality. When Alinghi won the "Americas Cup", only a handful of the crew members were Swiss. What else should a tiny high-alpine country without a single yard of coastline do in order to win the most famous sailing competition?

Tyler will have a lot of support from here. Go, Tyler, go!

Curious that Phonak, the Swiss team, is comprised mostly of Spaniards. To truly honor Hamilton, perhaps one should serve a nice bundesfleisch (sp?) paella.  :wacko:

Ah, now it's my turn: Bündnerfleisch.

See? We can all learn a thing or two from one another.

Really great suggestion:

Paella with Ipswich clams and Bündnerfleisch.

When you put it like that, it sounds pretty damned good.

• 4 weeks later...

And how did you survive your "L'Etape du Tour", Druck? 238 km and 9 climbs, right? Äie!

What did you stuff down into your gullet? :biggrin:

Edited by Boris_A (log)

I was so panicked about being swept up by the broom wagon that I had difficulty even eating my breakfast. Admittedly it was at 5am which is not when I normally get up!

The rest of the day was spent eating an evil mixture of bananas and jawbreaking powerbars. The sort of weirdo purely functional 'food' I suspect they give to astronaughts. They were truly disgusting but did the trick - I managed to do it fast enough to qualify for a silver medal - a mere four hours, forty-one minutes and thirty-one seconds behind Richard Virenque when he won the stage! (Hmm, would have been quite a challenge even for Ullrich to close that gap)

I managed to do it fast enough to qualify for a silver medal - a mere four hours, forty-one minutes and thirty-one seconds behind Richard Virenque

Congrats. So you came in after a 10 hrs, 41 mins, 55 secs ride. Wow!

The sort of weirdo purely functional 'food' I suspect they give to astronaughts.    They were truly disgusting but did the trick

The burdens of performance cycling.

OTOH, a shared dinner and bottle of wine in a basic "Logis de France" after pedalling some hours through the landscape of the Auvergne or the Aquitaine can be a transcending experience.

Vive la petite Reine!

(Long live the little queen [bicycle])!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am so sorry for not posting this sooner, we had a fabulous evening with a couple of Pros who were not racing in attendance, Henk Vogels (watch for him in the Tour next year) Marty Northstein (Gold Medal Winner Sprint Sydney Olympics) and Kirk O'Bee (former US Pro Crit Champ)

Presents a

“Tour de France”

Wednesday, July 21st, 2004

WINE

Jaffelin, Bourgogne Aligoté 2002

Paul Jaboulet Ainé, Côte de Ventoux 2002

MENU

Assiette “Tour de France”

Rotisserie, Charcuterie, Fromage, Salades, Artichoke Olive, Moules, Chicken Liver Parfait

e f

Lobster a ĽAméricaine (for Lance)

e f

Saddle d’Agneau, Puy Lentils,

Aubergines a la Toulousaine, Herbes de Provence

e f

Beef Bourguignon

e f

Gateaux Paris-Brest

Crème Chantilly

e f

Coffee & Tea

Macarons D’Amiens

L’Alpe D’Huez (this was the cake)

That sounds like a really fun menu. I hope it was a grand success. Actually it also reminds me of the Asterix & Obelix 'Tour de France'. Not sure if you ever read that stuff... but they have to go round France and bring back all the different regional food specialities. Can't remember why though... allthough of course they always end each story with a magnificent banquet - so perhaps that was the reason...

I wonder whether it's worth starting an Asterix & Obelix thread...? I've always loved the graphics and they always made wild boar look really delicious!

In the light of the recent Tyler Hamilton blood doping scandal, perhaps 'blutwurst' might also have been appropriate. Or black pudding. I wonder whether there is a French equivalent?