• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite single malt

EllenH

I am about one half-step up from a novice in terms of single malt expertise. My cabinet currently contains Highland Park and Macallan Cask Strength. Any suggestions on what to add to this, perhaps for an evening of tasting with friends? A nice variety in flavors would be fun. Anybody ever done a scotch tasting? Would you have food with that? (cheese or something)

Cheers :raz:

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Can't ever go wrong with Mac, or Lagavulin for that matter (although it is a bit peaty for some). How do you like your single malts? Peatier or lighter? More alcoholic or less?

Springbank 25 is another beauty to give a try.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

My favorite of all times is The Macallan 18yr Gran Reserva

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

We have too many scotches to list. (hubby adores scotch), but for a novice, Strathisla is a lovely scotch to start with.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You might want to try for a geographical spread, in which case you could add Auchentoshan (a lowland), Springbank (from Campletown), and Bowmore or Laphroaig 15 year old.

As for food, I'd suggest smoked salmon, as mentioned above. In fact, any lightly smoked food is a good match (stay away from anything too spicy, though). Mushrooms can be a good match. And you absolutely can't beat caramel and Scotch.

I'm another fan of Glenmorangie 18. I've also had a number of Mackillop's scotches which I've always enjoyed.

I find that matjes herring is a great accompaniment when doing a tasting.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm not a huge Single Malt Scotch drinker but I keep The Balvenie Single Barrel 15 onhand.

The Plowed Society only gave it a 84. Fucking Philistine pig ignorant assholes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks everybody! That PLOWED society thing is fun, but I noticed that another one I like (Lagavulin) got called "chloraseptic". Yikes. Philistines indeed.

For me & hubby, the peatier the better! Only one exception so far -- we sampled Talisker at a restaurant in Edinburgh & were warned by the waitress that it would put hair on our chests.....that one was a VERY SLOW sipping scotch :blink:

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Dalwhinnie is a good one for peat (if my memory serves) and is usually easy to find. In contrast Lagavulin was difficult to obtain for awhile and its price has increased.

Speaking of aging in used port and sherry casks, I also like Balvenie Double Wood.

The Plowed Society elaborates even further ! :laugh:

Their disclaimer is over ten years old! :shock:

These ratings in no way reflect the opinions of the entire PLOWED Society at this time...just a few drunken amateurs in about 1993 or so....it's funny to look at these ratings because we feel that many newbies to this sport would  probably record similar impressions

Cheer up, Jason! The Philistines aren't quite what they initially appeared ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Ellen-

If you like 'em peaty, try most any Islay - Lag, Ardberg, Bowmore, Laphroaig.

They should all do good by you.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

You may want to add a Talisker Single Malt 10 Year- From the Isle of Skye. This one has a very distinct smokey flavor that you will either love or hate. Either way I'm certain that you'll find someone who will drink it if you don't like it. It's not too hard to give away scotch!

GoodEater

Vivo per mangiare!

I'm not a scotch lover, but my husband's favorite is Glenmorangie sherry-wood casked (or something along those lines).

Speaking of smoked salmon, there's a bagel place in Towson, MD that has an amazing selection of smoked salmon, including one smoked in (with?) single malt scotch. It's really delicious.

Right now, I have Macallan 12yr, Balvenie 12yr Doublewood and Lagavulin on hand.

There's still something special about the Balvenie Doublewood. It's just... what's the word I'm looking for here... "luxurious"? The Macallan 12yr is aged 100% in sherry casks and The Balvenie Doublewood is only finished in sherry casks but the Balvenie offering seems more complex and refined somehow. That isn't to say the Macallan is less than impressive! One thing I highly enjoy about the Macallan 12yr is that it seems to have a more "woody" taste to it.

Then there's Lagavulin. I can't say whether Balvenie Doublewood or Lagavulin is my favorite since they're incredibly different.. but Lagavulin puts up a great fight. A small sip of it is like a train pushing down your throat. It's huge and powerful.. smoky and salty. It's soothing, warming and rejuvinating. The finish lasts for miles and seems to hang around for hours. I admit I did not like it the first time I tasted it but liked it the second time and loved it by the third.

Since you already have a Macallan scotch, I wouldn't suggest the Macallan 12yr or Balvenie since you have your sherry-casked scotch. I WOULD highly suggest trying an Islay malt like Lagavulin, though. Once you grow a taste for it, it's unbeatable. It'll give you a nice change of pace from the lighter Highland Park (but everything seems lighter compared to drinks like Lagavulin and Laphroaig).

I'm not a scotch lover, but my husband's favorite is Glenmorangie sherry-wood casked (or something along those lines).

Speaking of smoked salmon, there's a bagel place in Towson, MD that has an amazing selection of smoked salmon, including one smoked in (with?) single malt scotch. It's really delicious.

When I am not drinking Macallan I agree with the Glenmorangie Sherry cask vote

Scotch, like many other things is a matter of taste. If you are serious about single malts join the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of America (www.smwsa.com). For a tasting try malts from four different regions of Scotland and of varying ages. Crackers and a mild cheese go well and don't interfere with the tasting. My favorites come from Islay with the exception of Laphroig which I think tastes like Iodine. Caol Ila, Bowmore, Ardbeg and Lagavulin are each different and very good.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Scotch is not my drink of choice, but I do care for it from time to time.

I have a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 year old that I have been enjoying a glass of here and there over the past year and a half, I have to say that I find it enjoyable when I get that rare scotch craving.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Some excellent single malts mentioned here. Does anyone know -- ballpark -- how many single malts are available for sale here in the U.S.?

I haven't tasted many but of the ones I've had, Macallan 12 year old was like ambrosia to my unsophisticated palate. I have an affordable Aberlour in my liquor cabinet now, along with some JW Black (a blended Scotch, of course).

Does anyone like theirs the way I sometimes do -- after a fine dinner, in a cognac snifter?

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910