• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepper jellies: heat + sweetness

I believe it is truly a Southern girl thing to serve  jalapeno pepper jelly with cream cheese on Triscuits.  The hostess simply plunks a block of cream cheese on a plate, dumps on some jelly and surrounds the cheese with crackers.

The pepper jelly/cream cheese/crackers combo isn't purely Southern, I think. The first time I had it, it was served by my dad, a 3rd-generation Californian (and no Southern heritage on his side of the family that I know of). Admittedly, it was with Nabisco Pilot Crackers, not Triscuits. If you can't find the Pilot Crackers and don't mind waiting for mail order, the Vermont Country Store's Common Crackers are also good.

And this being eGullet, I'm sure somebody has a recipe for hardtack for those who'd rather not buy their crackers at all. :biggrin:

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

Now that we have determined hot pepper jelly is not just a Southern phenonmenon. How about this hors de'ourve I often see @ Xmas parties and was given as an office xmas gift---hot pepper jelly poured over a block of cream cheese and served with crackers. I'm in NC

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I've served pepper jelly atop a cream cheese/sour cream/mascarpone molded "cheesecake" to serve with crackers and there was never any left. I just mixed the room temperature dairy products together with a mixer until they were "pliable" and then stuffed them back into a bowl or mold lined with saran wrap. Refrigerate until solid again, unmold, and top with store bought or homemade pepper jelly. The hotter the better for me but tamer for a tamer crowd. The slight sweetness of the mascarpone was a good contrast to the hotter pepper jellies. Yum!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The love of pepper jelly has also made it into Middle America. I'm a fan of hot pepper jelly on crepes with sausage. Yum... hangover helper breakfast.

But, chemprof, I have to ask, how can habaneros be worse than sulfur-lab day for the organic lab students? That day always gassed me out of the building.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I don't know about pepper jelly except for the Berkshire Berries Berry Hot Strawberry jam I'm now spreading on my 3rd buttered white bread sandwich of the past hour. The best jam I've ever tasted. I got it at the greenmarket in Union Square. Any ideas for other ways to enjoy this?

• 2 weeks later...

At one of the multitudes of fall festivals I have attended in recent years, can't remember which one (Round Top, maybe?) I got some incredible Peach Jalepeno Preserves and Strawberry-Rhubarb Jalepeno Preserves. Absolutely delicious.

My favorite way to enjoy these last fall was Hot Brie Kisses. Very simply, puff pastry cut into 2" squares, and arranged in mini-muffin pans. Add 1/2" (seriously, don't add too much or it overflows) square of brie. Top with dollop of one of the above pepper preserves, and bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes. Serve hot. Amazing, although kind of embarrassing since it completely overwhelmed just about everything else I slaved over for that particular cocktail party in its popularity.

Edited by RebeccaT (log)

My favorite way to enjoy these last fall was Hot Brie Kisses.  Very simply, puff pastry cut into 2" squares, and arranged in mini-muffin pans.  Add 1/2" (seriously, don't add too much or it overflows) square of brie.  Top with dollop of one of the above pepper preserves, and bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.  Serve hot. 

Definitely thank you, Rebecca, for this recipe and plan to make it this weekend for guests! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The love of pepper jelly has also made it into Middle America.  I'm a fan of hot pepper jelly on crepes with sausage.  Yum... hangover helper breakfast.

But, chemprof, I have to ask, how can habaneros be worse than sulfur-lab day for the organic lab students?  That day always gassed me out of the building.

Hmmm...let's see I think it's an apples and oranges thing. I did a ton of sulfur chemistry in grad school so I know that stinky stuff! :)

Both are bad....

Sulfur lab: makes you wanna throw up bad.

Habaneros: makes you cough, sneeze and cry uncontrollably bad.

Neither are much fun! :raz:

But I do love chemistry, really. That's why I wear gloves and a mask when I make pepper jelly (at least the chopping peppers part), and a use a fume hood when i play with sulfur in lab. Just like cooking, it's all about having the right tools.

Anne