• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recently moved to West Orange and craving Sushi!

jb_973

waves2ya--Welcome to eGullet. Looking forward to reading  your posts. Where else in the Montclair area do you like to dine?

Very kind, Rosie. What a rich site you folks have going here at eGullet. Everytime I visit, I leave hungry - which should be a criteria!

I've penned a few posts at Chowhound but found NJ representation poor and, even more, the site *extremely* clunky. But I've tried to contribute and notes exist about eats from LBI to our 'nabe - most recently Moghul (which was incredible; think I remember you were pretty non-plussed about it) - don't know if I can link here or might cut & paste to your "Moghul" review thread...

Which brings me to another compliment - thank god you redirect comments to existing threads. These message boards are ridiculous if every poster that posts a question starts, yet again, at square one! Forum communities have to have methodologies in place for retaining and accessing knowledge easily; then dialogues can moved forward instead of defining the basics over & over again.

My favorite? Daytrippers to NJ beaches are despairingly referred to as "Bennies", an acronym that stands for 'Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark & New York'. If I had a quarter for everytime I've seen that question in NJ beach/surfing forums - why, I could buy us lunch!

~waves2ya

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

My favorite?  Daytrippers to NJ beaches are despairingly referred to as "Bennies", an acronym that stands for 'Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark & New York'.  If I had a quarter for everytime I've seen that question in NJ beach/surfing forums - why, I could buy us lunch!

~waves2ya

i grew up "down the shore" and used/heard this term many times, although i had no idea what it meant, or that it had an origin like that at all! most excellent.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently ate at Sakana on South Orange Ave in South Orange (at the corner of Prospect St). I dined there twice actually. 2 lunches, on 2 fridays, a week apart--solo style.

Very small, with a 6 stool sushi bar, and about 5 or 6 tables.

The fish was fresh and tasty. I had a spider roll, eel sushi, a rainbow roll, and spicy tuna. All were quite tasty and well prepared. While I know that there is so much more to try, there was only so much I could try by myself on a lunch break. The highlight by far was the spicy tuna. Many places serve a spicy tuna that has a mild zing, but this had a pleasant kick to it. I gave respect to the chef, and both he and the waiter were happy with my comments, and very friendly.

The Miso soup starter was tasty as well.

My server took the time to teach me a lesson I had not yet learned in my sushi dining experience. The pickled ginger is served not so much to enhance the flavor, but rather to clense the palate. He explained that by taking a taste of the ginger between pieces, that the different tastes and flavors of the varying fish could be better distinguished and enjoyed.

I work nearby, and I can see myself becoming a friday lunch regular at Sakana. Tasty fresh sushi, and friendly service is a winning combo. Nothing extravagant as far as menu or decor, but a nice place to get some down home sushi.

Sakana Sushi Japanese Restaurant

134 S. Orange Ave, S. Orange, NJ 07079

(973) 763-3585

M-T 11:45-10

F 11:45-11

S 3-11

Closed Sunday

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 4 weeks later...

Our Sushi adventures continued yesterday evening - we went to Zen in Livingston (which I see has been mentioned in both this and other threads.)

All I can say is that we had a *great* experience there. Sushi was really fresh (I loved the Spanish Mackerel Sashimi) and the portion sizes were much larger than expected - to the extent that a normal order for my wife and I turned out to be enough for three people !

Service was good, and, as we went early evening, we were immediately seated.

Definitely on the 'will go back' list.

Do you have an address for Zen? I'm sure I'll check it out pretty soon.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

• 2 years later...

Went to Yoshi-Sono last night. My first dine-in experience. I had take-out there for the first time about 2 weeks ago.

I don't think I'll return. It's not that the restaurant was terrible, I just feel that there are several better options nearby. I prefer Nori in Caldwell or Daruma in Montclair just to name a couple.

A couple of things about Yoshi-Sono turned me off. I felt that the ginger dressing on the salad had a bit of a bitter/acidic taste. In addition, we ordered a roll called the New Roll. It was a shrimp temrura roll with cucumber, avocado, masago and spicy peanut sauce. The peanut sauce was tasty, but the way the roll was prepared was just frustrating. It was in a spiraling wrap of seaweed that just proved diffiecult to eat. Any positive flavor offered by the roll was overwhemed by my frustration in trying to chew it.

I had some sushi and sashimi that was not bad, just nothing exceptionally fresh or exciting.

Given the fact that Yoshi-Sono is less than 5 minutes from my house, I am quite disappointed.

I have to agree...When Yoshi Sono lost it's great Sushi Chef WIlliam, the spark also left the restaurant. For take out sushi I recomend the new Whole Foods..not a great selection, but fresh.

I find Yoshi Sono to be tired, the place needs a major cleaning and painting, the food/sushi boring and run of the mill. The entrance to the restaurant is a cluttered mess. Too bad, this was a favorite of mine for a long time, but not anymore.

http:/www.etuinc.com

After extensive tasting, I think that Nori in Caldwell has the best sushi in the area.

There is a more modern sushi restaurant directly across the street, but for pure sushi, I vote Nori.

Has anyone tried Nori in Montclair? I have not.

One complaint about Nori--the service for us has been unfriendly and we can be rushed through the meal in less than 30 minutes. Next time, we may do take-out.

Runners-up: Samurai Sushi, Millburn and now in Livingston, Zen in Livingston, Sushi Hana in Montclair.

Just out of curious, what about Nori makes it rank above Zen? I have been to both places, had good meals about both, although Zen has become our regular spot.

That said, my wife and I had a great omakase experience at Tomo's in Little Falls. Haven't been back yet, but the first time was great - both food and service-wise.

Personally, I've been to Zen twice and had bad experiences. The fish wasn't fresh, and to be as PC as possible I'll just say didn't agree with my wife and I.

I felt it was only fair to give Zen a seocnd chance having heard read such favorable reviews about it, but I was disappointed.

This was at least a year ago, so I may have to return and give it another shot, as it continues to be mentioned in a positive light.

I would say that we've been to Zen about seven or eight times, and it has been pretty consistent, both food and service wise. No undesirable 'after effects.' We usually go their on a Thursday (our 'date night') - so I don't know whether the service varies from one day to another.

Another place that we liked - although said with the caveat that we have only been there once - is Nikko in Whippany - about another 5-10 minutes west on Route 10. A little pricier, but fresh, and well prepared.

We haven't yet spent any time exploring the sushi restaurants in Montclair. Whenever we drive down Bloomfield, I always make a comment that 'we must check those places out', but we never get around to it :(

Edited by jb_973 (log)