• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recently moved to West Orange and craving Sushi!

jb_973

My wife and I have just moved to West Orange from Brooklyn. We've now survived a couple of weeks of separation from our old local Sushi joint (Geido, in Park Slope), and are looking for a replacement. Any suggestions for Japanese restaurants within a reasonable drive of the Pleasantdale area?

Thanks,

Jason

p.s. This is my first post to eGullet - I was an active 'hound' on a certain other restaurant message board, and look forward to contributing to this forum!

I also live in West Orange. The only sushi place in West Orange that I have eaten at is Yoshi Sono on Eagle Rock Avenue. Their sushi is good, but my husband and I normally go into Montclair. Right now, I would say our favorite is Nouveau Sushi on Bloomfield Avenue. They are probably the most expensive of the sushi restaurants in this area, but I find them to be more creative - similar to a Nobu. Auzora on Bloomfield Avenue is also very good and pretty creative. I have been to Dai Kichi on Valley Road many times and enjoy their sushi, but I would call it more standard sushi. There is another sushi restaurant on Fullerton Avenue (which I can't think of the name of right now) which is also very good. The only place that I have heard is not that great, but I have not eaten there, is on Watchung Avenue (something Sono). All of the sushi restaurants I mentioned in Montclair all are BYOBs. I'm not sure if the one in West Orange is a BYOB or not. Hopefully this helps your sushi craving.

Susan

I'm a big fan of Nori in Caldwell, which is probably all of 10-15 mins of local driving from W.O. It's at 406 Bloomfield Ave., phone is 973-403-2400. My friends who are serious sushi eaters are always happy, as am I, 'tho I'm far less adventurous than they are. And although I find their prices reasonable in general, here's a hint: their lunch special is GREAT cost-wise, and they even offer it on Saturdays. Something like $12.95 for soup, shumai and two rolls. And I'm certain that it's BYO, as they have quite a lineup of empty sake bottles on their front window ledge!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You have hit all of the ones we visit. Nori is a new favorite. We also go to the one next to the bowling alley next to the movies on Rt 10 in East Hanover. I think it is called East Tokyo.

Welcome to West Orange!

I used to be a huge fan of Yoshi Sono in West Orange. Unfortunately, William their great sushi chef is leaving or has left. The other chefs are just not up to par. Also, the place hasn't been remodeled in years, and you walk out smelling like cooking grease.

I'm going to try some of the other recommendations, but I'm beginning to tire of spending upwards of $35.00 to $40.00 per person for sushi for mediocre service.

http:/www.etuinc.com

Thanks! I will definitely post back with some updates. From the initial replies, we may give Nori or one of the ones in Montclair a try first. They are not too far away from where we live.

Jason

Dai-Kichi Japanese Restaurant on Valley Road in Montclair is a favorite. Went there last week and the sashami was so fresh tasting, especially the super white tuna. My daughter had a fried oyster roll and another roll that had soft shell crab. Both were very good.

Nouveau Sushi is overpriced. Appetizers are good but they are no where near the creativeness and flavors found at Nobu, come on. I felt like I was being overcharged because I could be(in Montclair). Nori is very good quality and worth a visit since it is a fairly close distance. Sushi Hana on Fullerton in Montclair can be good at times but not a slam dunk. Dai Kichi is on Valley road near Belllvue Ave in Montclair and has been there BEFORE sushi got trendy. Always good service and great fresh fish there. Always a winner but it may be a little far for you though for those quick sushi runs. IMO the quality and service you get there blows away Nouveau Sushi by miles.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I look forward to trying some of these restaurants over the coming weeks!

Jason

I too live in West Orange, and was traveling well outside what I call my local area for sushi untill my neighbor recommended Zen at the RT 10 circle in livingston in the strip mall that houses the disgraceful Olive Garden. It's in the corner of the "L" shaped building and is PHENOMINAL!!. The quality is excellent and the attention to detail is superb. As an Uni lover, they have the freshest, and sweetest that I've been able to find. I'm heading there tonight because my 9 year old requested it before going off to camp. The other thing is that the owner is where he should be--behind the sushi bar making sushi. I find this to be a key factor in quality control.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Nouveau Sushi is probably the best sushi place i've been to in Northern NJ. That being said, it pales in comparison to reference places in the City that it ripped-off -- i.e. Sushi of Gari.

I've had a number of satisfying meals at Yoshi Sono in West Orange.

• 2 months later...

We went to Nikko in Whippany last night. Great Sushi, and very friendly service. We'll definitely be adding this to our list of places to go. My only concern is the size of the parking lot - I must admit it was pretty dark by the time we got there (8pm), but by the looks of it the parking lot was nearly full!

We also went to Nori in Caldwell a month back, and had a good experience there as well. Very generous portions of fresh sushi, reasonable prices, but no liquor license (and I always forget to pick up those bottles of Sapporo :( ).

Jason

There are 2 Sushi places in the area that I have frequented. I've been to many but these 2 places have brought me back several times.

1. East Tokyo in East Hanover, in the same building as the bowling alley, near the Loew's theater. The prices are reasonable, the service is quick and friendly, and the sushi has been fresh and tasty. There are a variety of interesting rolls and specials, and I have not been disappointed. They also have a liquor license.

2. Dai-Kichi in Montclair, BYOB, with a nice liquor store across the street. A bit pricier than East Tokyo, and usually a longer wait to be seated on a busy night. The food here is tasty, and quite fresh. They don't have a wide variety of rolls, but do have nightly specials. I've been told that if I like a certain special, they'll make it for me anytime, and they also take requests.

Interestingly, both of these restaurants are near to an Applegate Farms ice cream parlor, so a delicious dessert is a short ride away.

3. Nori, Caldwell. BYOB. Tasty sushi with moderate prices. A bit disorganized. Ordered a special role that they did not bring to me with the rest of my order. When I told them of this, they were puzzled. A long time after, our waitress asked us if we still wanted the role, however we were long past finished with our meal and declined.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Would like to second a few of these threads...

I agree that Montclair's Nouveau Sushi is expensive for what it is (trendy sushi, good app's)...

That Dai-Kichi has a great bar and really fresh fish - straight forward sushi...

But I haven't seen any mention of Yoshi, in Montclair at Watchung Plaza; I thought the sushi was good - place is low key - but not a king's ransom, either...

~waves

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...