• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tandoori Oysters

Has anyone tried this? I am curious to know what you think....

:smile:

Tandoori Oysters -- From Cooking Light

1 cup plain fat-free yogurt,divided

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeño pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 teaspoons mustard seeds

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon curry powder

1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper

24 shucked oysters

2 cups hot cooked basmati rice

Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Combine 1/4 cup yogurt, chopped cilantro, jalapeño, and salt in a blender; process until smooth. Add 3/4 cup yogurt; process until just blended.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and next 4 ingredients (mustard seeds through red pepper); sauté for 1 minute. Stir in oysters; sauté 4 minutes or until edges of oysters curl. Remove from heat; stir in the yogurt sauce. Serve over rice. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 6 oysters, 1/4 cup sauce, and 1/2 cup rice)

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2001

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Really???? No oysters eaters in this forum???? :wink:

I do eat oysters, but have never had it grilled. Either raw or deep fried (with batter), but never grilled or "tandoori-grilled". Interesting recipe though, may be I should give it a shot.

Really???? No oysters eaters in this forum???? :wink:

favorite way for oysters here, just toss em on the barbie, wait till the shells just barely open...

pry em open the rest of the way, a bit of Sambal, and down the hatch...doesn't like em on the halfshell on ice...these are just warmed thru,and you taste more oyster flavor...

Of course, I have to eat em this way when wifey is working late...she gets in the "poor little oyster mode"..

Has anyone tried this? I am curious to know what you think

nope, but would absolutely love to give 'em a shot. had bbq'd oysters on Saturday (in one of Seattle's more tolerable oyster houses, though not my personal pick). that in and of itself wouldn't have been bad -- but the sauces completely drowned out the oyster taste, and the whole thing was like a slightly retarded rethinking of oysters Rockefeller.

the tastes here seem a lot more subtle. and i'm always happy to find a new concept that works, which this certainly sounds like ...

i like oysters raw, fried, broiled, grilled, chopped or pureed into soups...well, in many ways with many accompaniments.

but i remain somewhat suspicious of the combination of oysters with lots of dairy. (the cooking light recipe strikes me as sort of "glurpy.")

where are oysters eaten in india? i've located one recipe from goa and about five from saraswat cuisine. (while none involve dairy, a couple use coconut milk, which sounds yummy.)