• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jackie's Restaurant

Malawry

There's a website now for the restaurant Ann Cashion is involved in helping to open in downtown Silver Spring:

Jackie's.

Who wants to join me in pasting my salivating face to the window until opening day?

Yum, looks great! And I love the colorful retro website. Why Silver Spring???

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

'Cause we've been suffering long enough. WE WANT A GOOD RESTAURANT IN THE DOWNTOWN SS AREA! :raz:

A more reasoned response: because downtown Sil Spring is undergoing a renaissance, and this is a chance for Cashion et al to get in on the ground floor of what is sure to become an entertainment and dining destination over the next decade or so. The new AFI cinema, the first two phases of the Downtown Silver Spring development, the new multiplex, and rumors of the overhaul of City Place are all contributing to a very friendly restaurant environment. Surely the restaurants will follow...we have a taste with the established chains (local and national) opening in the Downtown Silver Spring development and with the Red Dog Cafe not too far from the downtown area, so it was only a matter of time before somebody like Cashion took a chance. (I'm hopefully wondering if Jose Andres will open something up here next.)

Damn Mrs. JPW's old Apple. Not able to handle the web site!

You bet your sweet patootie that I'll be camping out like it was the first of many reunion tours for The Who in 1982!!!

Malawry, we'll either be fighting for or joining each other at the first available table!

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

'Cause we've been suffering long enough. WE WANT A GOOD RESTAURANT IN THE DOWNTOWN SS AREA! :raz:

A more reasoned response: because downtown Sil Spring is undergoing a renaissance, and this is a chance for Cashion et al to get in on the ground floor of what is sure to become an entertainment and dining destination over the next decade or so. The new AFI cinema, the first two phases of the Downtown Silver Spring development, the new multiplex, and rumors of the overhaul of City Place are all contributing to a very friendly restaurant environment. Surely the restaurants will follow...we have a taste with the established chains (local and national) opening in the Downtown Silver Spring development and with the Red Dog Cafe not too far from the downtown area, so it was only a matter of time before somebody like Cashion took a chance. (I'm hopefully wondering if Jose Andres will open something up here next.)

Too bad its in Monkey County.

Mark

Malawry, we'll either be fighting for or joining each other at the first available table!

I vote for joining. :wink: Nobody wants to fight with the charming Mrs. JPW after all! (You, I could probably take on. :raz: )

I'll try to keep an eye on the site and report back any opening dates. Mark, I wonder what kind of wine list they can drum up given the circumstances in this county?

I drive Georgia Ave every day and looked this morning to see where Jackie's will be located. They have a sign on the building announcing "Jackie's" coming soon. It is just before the underpass on the left if you are heading south on GA Ave. (Sligo Ave) Next block after the fire station. Seems to be a bit out of the way...very close to Mayorga's, who also has a lounge. Since I haven't had the opportunity to get to Mayorga's yet, I don't know if they serve alcohol. Maybe Jackie's will bring more traffic into that part of town?

I also noticed it looks as if the fire station is moving across the street to the area currently under construction where the old train depot is--any word on what will take over that building? Now that would have been a neat spot for a restaurant!

I'll keep an eye open as well for the actual opening--I would love to "join" Malawry and the JPW's in the first available table as well, if I may be so bold! :smile:

I drive Georgia Ave every day and looked this morning to see where Jackie's will be located. They have a sign on the building announcing "Jackie's" coming soon. It is just before the underpass on the left if you are heading south on GA Ave. (Sligo Ave) Next block after the fire station. Seems to be a bit out of the way...very close to Mayorga's, who also has a lounge. Since I haven't had the opportunity to get to Mayorga's yet, I don't know if they serve alcohol. Maybe Jackie's will bring more traffic into that part of town?

I also noticed it looks as if the fire station is moving across the street to the area currently under construction where the old train depot is--any word on what will take over that building? Now that would have been a neat spot for a restaurant!

I'll keep an eye open as well for the actual opening--I would love to "join" Malawry and the JPW's in the first available table as well, if I may be so bold! :smile:

Mayorga does indeed serve alcohol. Try their root beer float. Yummmmmmm

Peanut could be their official restaurant baby!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

OK, so Squids, JPW and I will be hitting Jackie's for dinner and Mayorga for post-prandial beverages. Once they are open we'll pick a date. I can't wait!