• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Natural Decaf Coffee

Knicke

I don't frequent this forum 'cause I can't do caffeine (and the idea/taste of decaf is just...not the same)...but when this makes it onto the market, I'll be able to guzzle with abandon!

Cool - it was just hanging out wild in Ethiopia...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Knicke, I can "do" caffeine, at least early in the day, but I'd love to be able to drink good-tasting coffee after dinner without worrying about the consequences.....

The article you linked to mentions the possibility of cross-breeding the naturally-decaf wild arabica plants with commercial varieties. they don't say much about their taste, but it sounds like the yield would be too low for commercial use:

It is possible that the wild caffeine-free plants carry a genetic mutation that interferes with a natural enzyme called caffeine synthase, which is involved in producing caffeine.

British and Japanese scientists have been working on ways of ridding caffeine by genetically altering such genes but in the current anti-GM climate it was unlikely that consumers will accept such a product, Professor Massafera said.

"This wild plant produces a naturally decaffeinated coffee bean. It's a product for those who don't like GM organisms and who like the taste of non-decaffeinated coffee," he said.

The Brazilian team hopes to begin a cross-breeding programme between the wild arabica plant and local commercial varieties to produce a hybrid which gives a good crop of decaffeinated beans.

I wonder how long it will be before we see the "naturally decaf" beans. Will this take years?

According to the article, if the new hybrid is productive, it will take 5 or 6 years to get naturally decaf coffee on the market; if not, up to 15...

:angry:

Guess I'll have to keep drinking regular decaf for awhile!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

High quality decaf is available for both drip coffee and espresso but it's very tough to find. Those needing really good decaf should consider roasting their own beans - it's not that tough to do and the results are well worth the effort.

Owen, have you tried any of the decaf beans from Sweet Maria's? I've been thinking of getting some.

I have the Fresh Roast Plus tabletop roaster I purchased from them a few months ago. The sampling of (non-decaf) beans I got at that time were quite good, and the descriptions on their site about the decafs sounds intriguing. The Mexican Esmeralda could be nice as a mild after-dinner coffee. The African Highland blend sounds good too.

I've been very pleased with the quality of all the coffees I've purchased from Sweet Maria's - both regular and decaf beans. The only one I didn't really care for was a Kaui Hawaian bean but that was personal taste rather than a reflection on bean quality.

I have used the decaf beans I currently have for a decaf espresso blend as follows. It's the best decaf espresso I have yet to try anywhere.

2 parts Brazil Prima Qualita

2 parts Sumatra

1 part Costa Rica Monte Cristo

3 parts Harrar Ethiopian