• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food at the Folklife Festival on the National Mall

It's time again for the Folklife Festival on the National Mall!

This year features Haiti, Latino music, and the traditions of the mid-Atlantic waterways.

What's in store from the food vendors? The cooking demonstrations?

Yeah, I know. Not always the best. Some years, though, it gets pretty interesting. When Mississippi was the featured state, they served catfish poboys and a barbecued baloney sandwich! I've always meant to try that barbecued baloney at home.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

The food and these things is always pretty lousy b/c of Park Service regulations about what type of cooking equipment can be used for vending. That's why the "demonstrations" are always soooo much better than what they actually sell.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Some years, though, it gets pretty interesting. When Mississippi was the featured state, they served catfish poboys and a barbecued baloney sandwich! I've always meant to try that barbecued baloney at home.

Those deep fried Mars bars (Scotland) last year were pretty tasty.

Looks like there's a whole bunch of Eastern shore cooking demos going on today. Anyone check them out?

Chris Sadler

I walked down there around lunch and I quickly turned around when I saw that every high school choir group, boy scout troop, and day camp group from a 25 state radius was out there milling about and taking up space. And it is only Thursday. I hate to see what is going to be like down there on Saturday afternoon!

damn I hate the summer in this swamp.

and another thing: someone please tell the tourists to wait until after nine to bring themselves and their SUV baby carriages on the Metro, K?

Jennifer

I walked down there around lunch and I quickly turned around when I saw that every high school choir group, boy scout troop, and day camp group from a 25 state radius was out there milling about and taking up space. And it is only Thursday. I hate to see what is going to be like down there on Saturday afternoon!

damn I hate the summer in this swamp.

and another thing: someone please tell the tourists to wait until after nine to bring themselves and their SUV baby carriages on the Metro, K?

I did the same thing. Alas, no limeade for me today. Perhaps I'll brave it before heading to the Penn Quarter Farmer's Market.

Thank God I walk to work now.

hi there,

just got back from a beautiful day at the folklife festival. this year, they're selling peruvian chicken with yuca, new mexican food (looked like tacos and enchilidas -- but i'm not quite sure), mid atlantic seafood fare, including crabcake sandwiches, fried shrimp and fried fish with fries...and the haitian fare included a tasty whole fried fish with plantains, beans and rice; vegetarian plate with eggplant, a fried chicken combo (also with plantains, etc.) and corn bread. i think there might have also been a pork dish.

there may have been other options that i missed. i was volunteering, so i didn't take a lot of time to explore in detail. i definitely think it's worth going to check out, especially if the weather is as nice as it is today. the crowds were smaller than in previous years, too.

oh and i had two limeades. yuhm! :cool:

Edited by stereogab (log)
"Big media today wants to own the faucet, pipeline, water, and the reservoir. The rain clouds come next." - Ted Turner

We went by today..the limeade ROCKS! But after standing on line for the Haitian platters for 15 minutes and only moving a foot, we left and went to Zaytinya. Oh well.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes