• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Travelling in February from Paris

mikeycook

My wife and I are taking advantage of the Air France companion fare deal and are scheduled to visit Paris in February over Valentine's weekend (arriving Friday AM, departing Monday.) We have been to Paris many times together, so we were thinking of perhaps making a day trip or an overnight outside the city part of the experience (we have travelled elsewhere in France, but mainly in the south, not the north).

Our top two choices are Burgundy or Reims, but we were wondering how much we would be able to experience them in February. Are the wine/champagne houses open/accessible? Will much be open on Sunday? Any suggestions of restaurants and accommodations in either location would be much appreciated. We may not leave the city at all, but would certainly like to explore the possibility. Any locations other than Burgundy or Reims we should consider?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Others may disagree but I think it would be difficult for you to do a day or even overnight trip to Burgundy and really see/do much - it's very spread out - something like 200 km from northern most point of Chablis (which will be really gloomy in Feb) then a big gap, then the wine bit starts again, and stretches well south to around Macon); of the two cities, Dijon is not really in the midst of serious wine country, though Beaune is...both would probably have something going on on a Sunday. Both are lovely cities but you'd have to leave just as you arrived.

In terms of visiting properties and tasting wine, there are hundreds of properties/negociants along the route - only a relatively small number of whom are geared up for visitors. You might be able to phone well ahead of time and make appointments but Sunday is not going to be a great bet.

I'm not as familiar with the Champagne region, but I have been to Reims itself (albeit awhile ago) and that, in contrast, might actually make a good day trip - though I don't know how long the train takes to get there... It has a gorgeous cathedral and probably a number of decent restaurants, but again, you'd have to check on Sunday availability.

If you are keen to get out of Paris, but do like a city - why not try Lyon? It's only a couple of hours (if that) on the TGV; has fantastic restaurants, some of which might be open on a Sunday, and is a very easy trip. Or even Lille, it's very underrated and has a character that's very different from that of Paris. Have you ever been to Fontainebleau? Versailles can't fail to impress, and there are some good restaurants there as well...

Or why not pick a neighbourhood in Paris, an arrondissement you've never been to, and explore from scratch, it might be a whole new experience.

I'd suggest Giverny but come to think of it, you won't get an inkling of its charms in February...

Thanks for the response.

I probably should have mentioned in advance that we will be driving. My wife has a disability that makes too much walking a problem, so even when we are in Paris I usually rent a car so we can get from one place to another more easily (needless to say, the Metro is not overly accessible -- few are -- and cabs can be a problem in some areas of town). As a result, we will drive to wherever our day-trip/overnight takes us.

I suspected Burgundy would be a problem and was leaning towards Reims of the two, mainly because it is closer and because I would prefer to see Burgundy in warmer weather. I like Lyon a lot (I have been there alone), but we have been planning to take a trip over the next couple of years to explore the northern Rhone (Cote Rotie, Hermitage, etc.) and Lyon made sense as a starting/ending point, so we will probably save it. Also, the train to Lyon and getting another rental car and returning it, etc. might be too much to manage on such a short trip.

We have both been to Versailles, but I don't think either of us has been to Fontainebleu. Would that be accessible in February (given my wife's disability, too much walking, particularly in snow, is a concern)? I don't know much about Lille, but I will look into it as it sounds like an option, on another trip if not this one.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Very interesting...your travel 'requirements' are the diametric opposite of mine: I don't drive at all, and I nearly always look for places with pedestrianised zones and good public transportation. So my comments may have completely missed the mark...Even Lille - the centre is all pedestrianised so this might not be ideal but as I d.

Regarding Fontainebleau, it has been a few years since I was there...there's a lovely town surrounded by the forest, and then of course there's the Chateau...the main attraction.

The website is : http://www.musee-chateau-fontainebleau.fr/...d20498_u1l2.htm and probably has an ENglish setion too, which reveals all. Looks like it's open in February... The gardens are a big part of the trip, so definitely check if those are accessible for non-walkers. But it is drive-able from Paris....

PS This link - http://www.reimshotelreservation.com/conte...ook&c1nbstars=0

just happened to be at the top of the France forum, but I don't know if it wil move so I have posted it for you...

Edited by magnolia (log)