• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summertime, and the living is easy

Gifted Gourmet

Ditto gazpacho!

I love them cut into long strips and seeded, then marinated in some rice vinegar, sugar, salt and chili sauce..........just before eating, drizzle them them with sesame oil.

ooohh, lovely!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

*adding to shopping list*

liverwurst - check

rye bread - check

Why does that sound so insanely delicious to me?

forgot to add--also black pepper... (and use mayo or butter as you prefer). Also bread must be toasted--and cucumbers slice thin and piled on pretty thick.

It was funny, I had this the first time two years ago during a visit home to my parents. They claimed they have eaten this for a long time but I don't remember it from when I was there. Anyway--it is really good if you like liverwurst!

(I guess the non-surprising angle is that liverwurst and pickles go well together...)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for the details on the liverwurst/cucumber creation.

That was actually one of those "I-just-read-this-on-eGullet-and-I-gotta-go-to-the-store" moments. (Hm... sounds like an interesting thread. :laugh: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I generally do this:

Bread & Butter Fridge pickles

In fact my gardener picked a bunch of pickling cukes for me this morning and I will probably make a batch this evening, after it cools down a bit.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Dr. Johnson got it right, I'm afraid. Cucumbers smell wonderful, but so do cigars, and I don't eat them! (Well, if I were having dessert with Tony Bourdain at French Laundtry...yeah, maybe.)

But my mother and I discovered that cucumbers can be a steamy girl's best friend. We were making dinner together on a July evening, in the last house my parents owned without air conditioning. Sloppy with sweat, we were preparing the suppertime leafy green thing, fueled by generous G and Ts. My mother applied a slice of cucumber to my forehead (well, you had to be there!) and it stuck. It felt divine, the fragrance floated me into some shady Norwegian Wood, and my body temperature took a little dip into some sylvan lake.

So I stuck I slice on her forehead, then she applied one to my chest, then I slapped a few on her arms...

We sat down to dinner garnished with cucumber; Daddy has long since learned not to question these things. Cucumbers are cool.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Dr. Johnson got it right, I'm afraid.  Cucumbers smell wonderful, but so do cigars, and I don't eat them! (Well, if I were having dessert with Tony Bourdain at French Laundtry...yeah, maybe.)

But my mother and I discovered that cucumbers can be a steamy girl's best friend.  We were making dinner together on a July evening, in the last house my parents owned without air conditioning.  Sloppy with sweat, we were preparing the suppertime leafy green thing, fueled on generous G and Ts.  My mother applied a slice of cucumber to my forehead (well, you had to be there!) and it stuck.  It felt divine, the fragrance floated me into some shady Norwegian Wood, and my body temperature took a little dip into some sylvan lake.

So I stuck I slice on her forehead, then she applied one to my chest, then I slapped a few on her arms...

We sat down to dinner garnished with cucumber; Daddy has long since learned not to question these things.  Cucumbers are cool.

Ahhhhh...so your family is the source of the old adage "Cool as a Cucumber." :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

But my mother and I discovered that cucumbers can be a steamy girl's best friend.

Many an overheated female has discoved the cooling relief of the cucumber in times of passion .... :hmmm: Sorry, maggie, you are the cat on the hot tin roof, no?? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I love pickling cucumbers. I use the skinny little seedless ones to make israeli-style dill pickles and kirbys to make sweet and spicy ones.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Austrian Cucumber Salad with paper thin sliced cucumbers & onions, dressed with white vinegar and Styrian Pumpkin Seed oil, salt and pepper. Delicious!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol