• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midtown: Atlanta's Dining Hotspot

micropundit

Atlanta,the 5 star dining capitol of the South, is getting a surge of new hot dining spots in Midtown that raises the bar city-wide for dining excellence.

For the last 20 years,all that was new and good with respect to restaurants in Atlanta carried a Buckhead address.A combination of demographics($),perception and social engineering created an enviornment that brought national attention to Bukhead's dining scene.A veritable galaxy of 5 star chefs such as Guenter Seeger,Joel Antunes and others have kept the culinary flames burning hot.But there are signs that the top toques are turning south.

Richard Blaise is just the latest of the Midtown migrants.In 2003 Paul Albriecht,of the legendary PANO and PAUL'S,took over the kithchen of SPICE a hot Midtown eatery that was floundering and has artfully added fine dining to its hipster vibe.Tom Cautherall,another Buckhead mainstay-PRIME and TWIST-is opening SHOUT,a upscale gastropub with a roof top bar at Colony Square in the old COUNTRY PLACE location in Midtown. Add to the mix,the recently announced OCEANAIRE,the 2005 arrival of ROSA MEXICANO,a NYC based upscale eatery,in a 10,000 sq ft two story, stand alone,David Rockwell designed space in Atlantic Station;the 2 restaurants slated for the majestic 40 story Symphony tower under construction at 14th and Peachtree ;and,the restaurants planned for the new Symphony Center and High Museum expansions,well you get the picture.

Stay tuned,the full story has not yet been played out but the early reviews are ..5 star.

Edited by micropundit (log)

100% right 50% of the time.

I have lived in the Atlanta metro area for some 27 years now and have watched the chic Buckhead area change in a number of respects. The congested traffic has also contributed to some of the problems with the area. The areas around E. Paces Ferry Road where Chef Richard Blais opened his restaurant, have significantly deteriorated from the exclusive and fancy places they once were.

Clearly, Midtown Atlanta has become the new place to locate one's restaurant it would appear. Why? Perhaps because it can honestly boast of upscale residential neighborhoods, major arts venues, marquee office towers, some of the city's very best restaurants, and Piedmont Park -- could anyone ask for more?

Have to agree with you, micropundit, this is going to be, and is presently developing into a five star place to see and be seen ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thank you. I am not downgrading Buckhead but suggesting that in the future,the very near future,Midtown will be the place for the hot restos in Atlanta.

27 years? You must have brought to Atlanta in swaddling clothes. :biggrin:

Thank you. I am not downgrading Buckhead but suggesting that in the future,the very near future,Midtown will be the place for the hot restos in Atlanta.

27 years? You must have brought to Atlanta in swaddling clothes. :biggrin:

Swaddling clothes? More like toddler t-shirts and shorts ... in my dreams! :hmmm:

I absolutely see what has been growing and indeed flourishing in midtown Atlanta, and, while Buckhead ain't nowhere near "over", it is facing some stiff competition since it was "King of the Hill" here. Buckhead Life Group is still a very big part of the dining scene there and relinquishes supremacy quite grudgingly. :rolleyes:

I personally see the metro area as big enough for all of the "players" in this business .. but that is just my opinion, from my own miniature historical perspective ...

and, while "big money" is investing heavily in midtown, some of it has filtered outward as well to the 'burbs. Time will tell, as you so correctly mention.

Anyone know of any good restaurants around the 5th and Spring St. area?  Aside from the Varsity, thank you.  :smile:

Sure do! Aside from the Varsity, which we dearly love but which is enough already, there are Vortex, Einstein's on Juniper, Nickiemoto's. and Zocalo.

Here is a bit more info on what there is to eat in the area you want:

what is happening between 5th and Spring Streets

Anyone know of any good restaurants around the 5th and Spring St. area?  Aside from the Varsity, thank you.  :smile:

Sure do! Aside from the Varsity, which we dearly love but which is enough already, there are Vortex, Einstein's on Juniper, Nickiemoto's. and Zocalo.

Here is a bit more info on what there is to eat in the area you want:

what is happening between 5th and Spring Streets

Speaking of the Buckhead Life Group,there is a rumor going around that they are looking at a location near NAN for a french brasserie that would feature Pano jr as the head chef.Since he has studied under the likes of Thomas Keller and Eric Ripert,could this be Atlanta's PER SE?

Speaking of the Buckhead Life Group,there is a rumor going around that they are looking at a location near NAN for a french brasserie that would feature Pano jr as the head chef.Since he has studied under the likes of Thomas Keller and Eric Ripert,could this be Atlanta's PER SE?

Well, I wouldn't bet my last dollar on it, but also would not be exactly adverse to such grand and glorious happenings in the town I have grown to love and cherish!!

It would be a definite "lift" to the dining scene here! and, my old friend, Richard Blais, would no doubt welcome the company of such culinary talents ... :biggrin:

If it's going to be a brasserie then this would be more like Atlanta's Bouchon.

Can you pee in the ocean?

If it's going to be a brasserie then this would be more like Atlanta's Bouchon.

Mais oui.

Anyone know of any good restaurants around the 5th and Spring St. area? Aside from the Varsity, thank you. :smile:

there's some stuff in that GA Tech square. I actually dig Tin Drum for it's fusion-y ways, altho others may not. believe it's at 4th, off spring.

i may go there today actually. i really like their shrimp tempura rolls.

Back to the burning question of the day for us Atlanta food fanatics, as micropundit asks, is Buckhead "soo over"? or merely "resting on its laurels of bygone glory"? and in Midtown, the newest place to eat and be eaten? :rolleyes: Don't fashions in restaurants rather come and go quickly in Atlanta?? Moreso than elsewhere? I think this is a question which I personally would answer in the affirmative.

I see several reasons for Midtown's restuarant growth. First of all the growth of Midtown itself. There are a lot of offices, firms, businesses, &c that are moving into Midtown fr/ downtown Atlanta. The Federal Reserve is there. A bunch of law firms and banks moved into that region. Therefore you have a clientele already in that area. Midtown is booming w/ people not just during the day but folks are living in that area as well which is a draw. A new building will some times give a break on rent to get a restaurant into its space. Some firms want on "on site" restaurant for entertainment purposes and the building owners are willing to deal w/ the restaurant.

Secondly, Buckhead has problems, whether real or perceived, w/ crime, parking, drunken "kids", traffic, &c. and is seen as more of a "party spot" than a fine dining destination now. The stand bys in that area will continue to do well but new places are going South where they--and their guests--do not have to compete w/ the problems that plague Buckhead.

Also it is easier to get into Midtown fr/ the suburbs than into Buckhead. You can exit directly into Midtown fr/ 75-85 w/o having to loop around and get caught in traffic and that means a lot to folks who have to drive as much as we do in Atlanta. And, as I stated above, Midtown has people actually living there. You can walk to a restaurant and then back home. There are a few apartments in Buckhead but they are not geared to walking as those in Midtown are.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I'm very conflicted about this topic on all kinds of fronts.

First, by "Pano Jr." I assume you mean Pano I., versus I. Pano, Karatassos. I know them both, so it's not politically correct to refer to one as Jr., although I'm guilty of doing so to clarify of whom I'm speaking. If there were ever anyone in a perfect position where he needn't move anywhere to have a good life and feed his family with job security, it's Pano I. He has his own restaurant, built specifically for him, and he doesn't need to work that hard to have the prestige of having "the only fine dining Greek restaurant around." It's not that busy, but the people that go love it, and he doesn't need to worry about money. He has another brand new baby, and nothing to prove, so I'm having a hard time believing this rumor. I think I'll call him this week and just ask him to find out.

Yes, there is much better dining in Midtown than in Buckhead, in some ways, but there's still plenty of hit-or-miss there. I ate at Spice a couple weeks ago, and it was clearly mediocre, with a high price tag. I could have eaten at Nava and had an experience that was just as good. Another variable is that the definition of "Midtown" is not clear. Exactly where on Peachtree Street do you leave Buckhead and enter Midtown? Is Restaurant Eugene in Midtown? Is Bazzaar? There's a whole region that could be considered "South Buckhead" that holds some decent dining, too.

The trend I do think is prevalent is that people are moving away from hugely expensive meals and looking for a little value in their dining dollar. Fine dining places all over the city are going hungry while some of the places that provide good food at reasonable prices are packed to the gills. Personal debt is still at record levels, and bankruptcy is rampant. People who've had one SUV repossessed are taking the one remaining family vehicle to places with somewhat lower prices, but still good food.

Oh, and I live in one of those apartments in Buckhead. They are surprisingly reasonable in price and there are certainly lots of people living here who eke out a modest living working in the restaurants in my neighborhood.

Edited by TheFoodTutor (log)

OK, I just want to add to my previous post by saying that, while apartment space in Buckhead is comparable with practically every area in the 10 county region that we call Atlanta, it's not reasonable by the definition of a lot of places in the country. And it's closer to public transportation than much of the rest of the region, but that's not a great option, either. And I can walk to several nice restaurants for dining or work, but I still find a need for a car.

Real estate is probably not a bargain here, either. And I'd certainly think twice about opening an avant-garde restaurant in this neighborhood, but I'd really hesitate to do that in any neighborhood in Atlanta right now. It's a hard market. If I were to open a restaurant right now, I'd do something modest and wait for better times to do something really daring, in any neighborhood. We still have plenty of traffic in Buckhead at this point, though. While it sounds funny to say, "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded" that seems to be what everyone is saying, except for the people who are making money here.

OK, I just want to add to my previous post by saying that, while apartment space in Buckhead is comparable with practically every area in the 10 county region that we call Atlanta, it's not reasonable by the definition of a lot of places in the country. And it's closer to public transportation than much of the rest of the region, but that's not a great option, either. And I can walk to several nice restaurants for dining or work, but I still find a need for a car.

Real estate is probably not a bargain here, either. And I'd certainly think twice about opening an avant-garde restaurant in this neighborhood, but I'd really hesitate to do that in any neighborhood in Atlanta right now. It's a hard market. If I were to open a restaurant right now, I'd do something modest and wait for better times to do something really daring, in any neighborhood. We still have plenty of traffic in Buckhead at this point, though. While it sounds funny to say, "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded" that seems to be what everyone is saying, except for the people who are making money here.

To clarify,A fairly reliable source said that they heard that the next Buckhead Life restaurant could be in Midtown as they were interested in a site near NAN.I have read in a local food publication where Pano(Sr) stated that their next restaurant would not be open untill 2006. The other part -a french resto for I Pano-was speculation on their part. :rolleyes:

With respect to current conditions in Atlanta,major players continue to roll out units here,but.. .I still am not sure as to whether or not this is stll a fad town rather than a food town.You are on point with the neighborhood concept being the most practical (see Rathbun,Kevin). Maybe if prosperity returns,who knows what may happen.But in the meantime,Hot does not mean Haute.

Last,Midtown ,in my mind, begins at North and ends at Brookwwod Station.