• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your friends are under the weather

Rereading this thread I'm reminded that this tradition exists up here in the Northeast among many parts of the African-American comunity but most specifically among families with a direct connection to the south. My buddy's mom passed away two years ago and the hosue fileld up immediately with enough fod to last the family and visitors for days and days. Nearly al involved have roots in Alabama - I see it as a continuation of that Southern tradition but like many traditions, it seems to be declining in frequency with younger generations.

When friends are sick, of course chicken soup is the best. I made a huge batch when I was in Oregon taking care of my friend's family as her Dad was dying in hospital. First thing I did was get a couple of chickens and toss 'em in a pot. Lord knows I've served food in many places, but for sheer gratification of being in the right place at the right time, nothing beat taking over the hospital kitchen at midnight to heat soup and make toast for them (very small town, and hospital, you could do things like that). He died a few hours later, and her Mom still thanks me for the comfort of soup and toast that night. In my mind, it was a privilege to be able to do that for them.

After the soup, made chicken and dumplings, a near - perfect comfort food.

In the Midwest, where I'm from, it's all about the casseroles. When we arrived just after Grandpa died suddenly (Minnesota) we found his fridge already stuffed with several casseroles, chicken, and potatoes, and the dining room table awash in homemade bread, cakes, and pies.

When my friend was going through chemo, it was grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, and bread pudding. mmm...bread pudding.....

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Also, in addition to the beverages as mentioned, a bag or two of ice from the store is welcome as well. With all the food, the drinks don't get to live in the fridge, so a bag of ice, even in one of the throwaway foam coolers becomes a dern imprtant item. As do plastic plates, cups, napkins, forks, etc.

But I've endeared myself to most people by simply taking any kids who live in the house out to the back yard or to a park to play, or maybe springing for a movie. Anything that gets them out of the house, where they are usually stuck, bored, and restless. Then the sick person can maybe actually get some rest, even for a short bit.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

We have the same tradition here. All my friends bring food whenever someone sneezes loudly in Church. (Though I find I get less than some because of the phenomenom on I'm the second coming of Julia Child!. )

I usually try to bring bread fresh from the oven. I find that even in the most ill or depressed person wonderful bread (I especially like Challah) still warm from the oven will encourage them to eat. And there's something that feels sacred about the act - for both of us.

Just in case you were wondering.

My mama is fine, all of the medical stuff is great and she feels good (in a low salt, low cal kinda way). In fact, she feels so good that she is off to Alaska for a couple of weeks. Good for her, says I.

Thanks for all of your good wishes.

Brooks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...