• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Freezer

rajsuman

Here's what's in mine:

- Fully prepared maa ki daal and masoor dal - so I'm never more than 10 minutes away from eating them when the urge strikes - I know I can pressure-cook it just as quickly, but I really prefer the slow-cooked dals, especially the two mentioned.

- Ready-made makki ki roti and methi thepla. These I bought to try out recently. The thepla is really nice, even if it glosses over a bit with the amount of oil in it. I'm waiting to try the makki ki roti with some saag (no sarson unfortunately, palak will have to do).

- A packet of fresh (as in not dried) green chana that I spotted with the rotis mentioned above. My mom used to make this curry with this potatoes that I can still almost taste.

- Dosa batter

- Grated coconut

- Ground coconut masalas for Konkani dishes

- Onion, garlic, ginger, tomato masala for north Indian dishes

- Indian sweets - ladoo, burfi etc., : better in the freezer than in the fridge - I'm less tempted to eat them that way.

- Shami kabab, chapli kabab

- Other stuff I'd rather not own up to in public

Suman

Founder likes Masala Dosas enough to stock them in his freezer?

I'm impressed and pleasantly surprised.

I usually have the Dosa batter in my freezer.

Coconut halves.

Paneer.

I have a weird liking for frozen chocolates and mithai. Ever tried frozen rasgollas?

Frozen medu wadas worked well for me as a short cut for dahi wadas, so I have started to stock them.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Yeah, but they are probably pretty crummy frozen Dosas by Indian standards, although I buy them pre-packaged from an Indian grocery. I have a couple of different brands onhand.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hm, this thread is a good reminder to stock up the freezer again. I've been ignoring it for the last few Weeks In Hell at school, so right now there is just a plastic bin filled with peeled coconut chunks.

And they only managed to get in there because I didn't want to let yet another coconut spoil on account of being too busy to hack it up and peel it.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Hmmm, Indian stuff in my freezer.

- Coconut milk in cubes

- Cubes of ground masala (green & yellow)

- Peeled, grated coconut

- Curry leaves

- Chopped cilantro

- Pomfrets

- Pav bhaji

- Chettinad chicken

- Pork sorpatel

- Dal (mixed)

- Kulfi (malai, badam, kesar, pista)

Suman, now I'm curious to know about the "other stuff" :laugh:

Oh, about 3 dozen eggplant pakoras...... :hmmm:

Some masoor dal, saffron rice, and aloo gobi mattar. Surprisingly enough, the pakoras defrost and reheat rather well. Not nearly as good as freshly fried, but still good enough to snack on with some pickles and yogurt.

I'm getting a hankerin' for some parippu vada. They freeze well and defrost beautifully, so are ideal for big batches. Coming soon to a freezer near me. :biggrin:

Hm, this thread is a good reminder to stock up the freezer again. I've been ignoring it for the last few Weeks In Hell at school, so right now there is just a plastic bin filled with peeled coconut chunks.

And they only managed to get in there because I didn't want to let yet another coconut spoil on account of being too busy to hack it up and peel it.

Pat

Sleepy_Dragon-is there any particular reason for storing your coconut in chunks as opposed to grated?

my freezer has nothing right now but emergency rajma! :shock:

I wish I had a brilliant culinary secret to share about the coconut chunks but no: it's just easier to grab one for snacking on. :raz:

The next batch will get grated first though.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Lots of frozen bread that I have every day for breakfast with yogurt, pickle, and a little green vegetable that I cooked in the microsave. My favorite are the Kerala-style porottas made by a company called Daily Delight based in Kerala. They're not as large as the regular parathas.

The ready to serve vegetarian dishes in pouches made by Swad and other companies are also not bad and are handy for emergencies when you really crave Indian food.

Question: How do you reheat without everything getting mushy? Masala dosa seems especially mind boggling...

Well, there are some things that are just not suitable for freezing. Boiled potatoes for example, yeugh! They've been showing ads here for frozen dosas etc. and I was wondering about them too. The masala dosas are as thick as utappams in the ad, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Things I forgot to mention earlier:

Curry leaves

Green chillies

Green and tamarind chutneys

vindaloo

some bought chicken tikka masala and chicken jalfrezi

Things I normally keep, but haven't got at the minute:

Pav and bhaji, carrot bhaji for my husband's sandwiches (it's much better than it sounds, honestly), marinated chicken and/or fish, wadas for dahi-bhalle (it's been ages since I made these though)

Suman

I have a weird liking for frozen chocolates and mithai. Ever tried frozen rasgollas?

Yes Episure! I self-righteously keep mithai in the freezer, wrongly believing I won't touch them that way, but now I know the joys of frozen rasgollas, burfis and whatnot. Haven't tried chocolate though. I think I need something quicker than a microwave to defrost my food!

Suman

Yes Episure! I self-righteously keep mithai in the freezer, wrongly believing I won't touch them that way, but now I know the joys of frozen rasgollas, burfis and whatnot. Haven't tried chocolate though. I think I need something quicker than a microwave to defrost my food!

Suman

Forget the microwave, defrost such goodies in your mouth. Extend the pleasure for the same amount of calories and guilt. :biggrin:

Frozen Sohan Papdi, Sev Burfi, Mohan Thal....all work well.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Thanks Episure for the encouragement I could have done without! Now I can feel less guilty knowing there are other weirdos like me who eat frozen mithai.

Here's what I've tried thus far straight from the freezer:

kaju barfi, badaam burfi, rasgulla, mohan thal, karachi halwa, soan papdi, besan burfi, kalakand

Here's what I might try next under your guidance:

chocolate, sev barfi if I can come across it ,...(I'm open to more suggestions)

Suman